Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting out-fitted in Melbourne, Australia

splatt

One of the Regulars
Anyone got any tips for finding some good Golden Era style suits, shirts, ties, etc. in the lovely City of Melbourne in southern Australia?

I've had a quick look inside Circa Vintage Clothing (Shop1, 102 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy) which has some nice stuff but not an awfully huge range :(

I popped my head into Chapel St Bazaar (217 Chapel Street, Prahran) the other week, and while i adore the place and have bought a few...ok, lots of things from them in the past, i'm not too sure what their men’s clothing collection is like :eek:

And i figure that if i wanted to buy an amazingly crafted new outfit, i could always drop in and visit the stunning Anton's (Shop 224, Melbourne Central, 300 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne), but i don't think i’m ready to spend between $1,500 and $2,000 on an outfit just yet [huh]

All suggestions most welcome loungers...

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Huh. I was wondering the same thing about Sydney! After several years in Melbourne I am, today, relocating to Sydney.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31109

I know some outstanding tailors in Asia, so all we need is a few copies for them to work from. It might be worth just buying something that's stylish enough, regardless of the condition/colour/size and sending it off them them for reproduction.

Say, if you're (or any other FL-ers) are in Sydney, give me a shout).

Cheers,
- SteveN

miss_elise

Practically Family
SteveN you probably need a few more posts... about 15 should go... go complement some people's hats...

splatt, i agree about Circa, nice stuff but small selection... plus the lady there was very rude to me one time...

have you been to retrostar in swanston st? or sally's vintage on smith street? not sure what their suit collections are like though, as i haven't looked for them...

splatt

One of the Regulars
Just as as I was typing a response to SteveN, like magic...your post appeared miss_elise :)

I haven't checked out Retrostar or Sally's Vintage...thanks for the tip ;)

miss_elise

Practically Family
there's also a chain called "episode" that is about, might be worth checking out their different stores...

plus who can go past savers! lol

or the salvos or vinnies.... although maybe not quite of the quality you're looking for...

splatt - have you been to the Melbourne Hatters shop (right under Flinders st station?)

splatt

One of the Regulars
City Hatters under the clocks at Flinders Street Station is certainly one of the great hat shops miss_elise :)

I'm just waiting for them to get in some hat brushes (maybe this week) so i can find the excuse to stick my head into that lovely establishment...again ;)

splatt

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...checking the billiard table emporium company website, Harry Evans & Sons, it actually says that they started operating at the Fitzroy premises in 1957. Prior to the move to Gertrude Street they had actually operated in Elizabeth Street Melbourne.

Even with the journalist not checking all of their facts correctly, it's still an interesting article :eusa_doh:

splatt

One of the Regulars
I do like Chapel Street Dr Greg...the problem with it is that it has to many other tempting stores along its length :eek:

Camberwell Market is a good idea though and i haven't been there in years.

miss_elise

Practically Family
splatt said:
Nice find SteveN...who would have thought that Gertrude Street has a "billiard table emporium dating back to 1895"
i walk past it nearly every day...it looks really cute...there is also a very interesting tabacconist/barber almost directly across the road from there...

splatt

One of the Regulars
miss_elise said:
i walk past it nearly every day...it looks really cute...there is also a very interesting tabacconist/barber almost directly across the road from there...

Hmmm...i get a coffee (and a croissant) every morning near the corner of Gertrude Street and Smith Street at a place called "La Niche Cafe" Miss Elise...though i normally haven't got my hat on when i jump out of the car we may still bump into each other :)

dr greg

One Too Many
AAH Smith st

splatt said:
Hmmm...i get a coffee (and a croissant) every morning near the corner of Gertrude Street and Smith Street at a place called "La Niche Cafe" Miss Elise...though i normally haven't got my hat on when i jump out of the car we may still bump into each other :)
I used to live in Napier st, and Little Smith st 30+ years ago, and it was rough as guts I tell you, the barman blew a guy's leg off with a shotty in the local one night...croissants nowhere to be seen :)

miss_elise

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
How is the crowd in Melbourne?

Are they into 50s still? Is it more 30s 40s. I always see their hair as being 50s
not sure about the crowd... most of the people i see about are more rockabilly than i am...but maybe i don't go to the right places...

miss_elise

Practically Family
splatt said:
how funny. i guess it depends on what time you're getting your coffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe