Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German pensioner eats 64-year-old US lard

Warden

One Too Many
OK post war, (just) but still a great story. The chap was featured on the wireless last night (BBC World Service)

German pensioner who received a tin of American lard 64 years ago in an aid package has only just tasted it, after discovering that it is still edible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16852830

_58269070_jex_1309530_de27-1.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw this the other day. I love this story.

Now if we could just remind Americans that it's okay to eat butter, lard, eggs, etc., maybe we could live as long as this gent? lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago I saw something on a can from the Crimean War that was opened and apparently the contents were still edible. Apparently the can was so well made that it preserved the contents.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, geez. Are we now gonna have a "What's the oldest food you ever ate?" thread? Actually, why not?
Actually, I have a can of kidney beans on my shelf that's at LEAST 10 years old. Anybody dare me?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
About 2 months ago I was terribly sick and desperate for soup. My wife was away at work and I found in the deep back of the corner cabinet a can of tomato soup that had "expired" in 2004 I think. It was fine, and I'm not sick anymore

Matt

P.S. We have lots of soup on hand now for such situations, when your under the weather nothing is better then some soup and a cuppa.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My cardiologist would certainly disagree.

I'll tell you what; when I stopped eating so much rice, beans, breads, margarine, vegetable oils, and soy milk, and replaced it with my childhood foods like butter, whole milk, eggs and animal fat, I dropped 40lbs, blood pressure went from 150/99 to 120/78, my blood sugar dropped below 100points, my triglycerides dropped, I have tons of energy, and on and on and on...

So yeah, my cardiologist would probably disagree, too. Good thing I don't listen to 'em. ;)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Oh, geez. Are we now gonna have a "What's the oldest food you ever ate?" thread? Actually, why not?
Actually, I have a can of kidney beans on my shelf that's at LEAST 10 years old. Anybody dare me?

Triple dog dare. And it won't count unless you Youtube the video, from opening to first swallow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82