Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
A nice velour fedora I picked up. Date please?(pic heavy)

I recently bought this nice condition German, maybe Austrian grey fedora. It is n really good condition, that is no storage marks or sweat stains and the inner leather band is in a really clean state.
The hat is about a 57cm though a rather soft construction so I have to shape it once on my head or there are 'dents' and finger marks everywhere.
Let the pictures do the talking but I would like to know how old it is.
A couple of questions though please. Is this hat known as a fedora or is there a German equivalent?
Should it be worn with brim down or just the front snapped down?
£30(not ebay :)
Just need to look for a coat to go with it now.
Many thanks, J
PA040043_zpschveimnk.jpg

PA040044_zpsoxm5w112.jpg

PA040045_zpskanwpdrr.jpg

PA040052_zpssklgbntd.jpg

PA040050_zpsvbuf0col.jpg

PA040051_zpsibugvu9k.jpg

PA040054_zpsjgzuvlg1.jpg

PA040047_zpst54pjqex.jpg
Wonderful color and finish!

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
What I know about German and Austrian hats is, zilch.

But I saw this cool hat on ebay and bid on it. It went for very little, from a seller just 4 hours north of me in Seattle, Washington, where I lived until about 1982. There is a sizeable German community in the greater Seattle area. The love of my 16 year old heart was a sweet German girl with dark, dark brown hair and beautiful, big brown eyes a young man could get lost in. Her brother was my best friend until his passing. They'd get together every year in the fall and make sausages. Ymmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

No light here for better pictures. The color is darker than the pictures show, more of a dark hunter green like my old Eddie Bauer parka. It's in excellent shape but for some wear on the satin liner. The felt is excellent, with a long hair finish but much thicker "hair" than I've seen here in U.S. made hats in a longhair, sateen or satin finish.

i-hRdM66d-L.jpg

i-xQ6NJrp-L.jpg

i-z6S5fgx-L.jpg

i-8W2XQ9R-L.jpg

i-NbNMPqX-L.jpg

i-jngxnZH-L.jpg
Wonderful hat: You made a great snag! I'm a tracthenhut fanatic myself; don't know how I missed this one on the Bay. How about a picture of you wearing it?

addison

One of the Regulars
My finds of Today:

Royal Stetson in dark brown, more chocolate brown, in like new condition, probably made by Mayser or Wegener.
StetsonRoyal3.JPG

Chapeau Suppless Fedora in anthracit or charocal, like new condition size 58

Supless3.JPG

Halali Pork Pie, Size 57, Velour, black, good condition!

Halali3.JPG

Mayser Trachten Outdoor Hat, Size 57, very good condition, also a dark anthracit!

MayserBilstein3.JPG

Cool lid, but the mannequin head looks a bit like Gary from Team America...lol ;)

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Reiner Haarhut "Union-Hut", 59cm probably late 1950s. I need to do some background checking on Reiner Haarhut. The name does ring a bell. /QUOTE]

Hi mayserwegener - that's a nice one!
Some annotation (don't want to be smart-alec): I'm pretty sure "Union-Hut" is the brand. "Reiner Haarhut" is not a name - that means like "Pure Fur Felt" - kind of a cachet.

My finds of Today:

Royal Stetson in dark brown, more chocolate brown, in like new condition, probably made by Mayser or Wegener.
StetsonRoyal3.JPG

Chapeau Suppless Fedora in anthracit or charocal, like new condition size 58

Supless3.JPG

Halali Pork Pie, Size 57, Velour, black, good condition!

Halali3.JPG

Mayser Trachten Outdoor Hat, Size 57, very good condition, also a dark anthracit!

MayserBilstein3.JPG
Manfred, Congrats on the weekend haul!

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Maybe "Union-Hut" is some kind of a hatters "union" in the early 50's GDR (like a cooperative/consortium) before becomming VEB and there were a few manufacturers producing hats under this label???

I am fairly positive it is not from the DDR/GDR. It was common in the 1950s to use English brand names (not hat company names) in West Germany. Some I can link to hat companies (usual by the Paper label or by trademark) and some remain mysteries (no company mark on paper label /no paper label, can't find trademark). I will have to look again at the paper label and check for the "Union-Hut" trademark (Ges Gesch. is listed).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe