Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Alpine style hat with underwelt edge by "Josef Pichler und Söhne, Graz".
Sold by "Breuninger Stuttgart", a still existing large menswear department store.

I'd date it with 40's, early 50's.

Pichler%201.jpg

Pichler%202.jpg

Pichler%203.jpg
Lovely, Steve.

NewJack

Practically Family
A rare find for me (IMHO) of a Lambert fedora that I was told it is made of wool (which is still difficult to believe in spite of its hand! Albeit a bit on the heavy side!) that was updated by Tom Gomez. Unfortunately, the sweatband had all but disintegrated but I asked the markings remain to show 'most' of its authenticity. The crown was 5 inches (before diamond bash) and the brim is whopping 4 inches but meticulously trimmed. There was no liner but the crown label remains (forgot what the term for labeling inside the crown). Any feedback welcomed as I continue to be a hat scholar. I found some information on Lambert hats from the following link maintained by a FL member:
http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/13-kr-lembert-hutfabrik/

Here are a few pics of the lid:

The ID Tag:

It's a Carpenters Hat. Zimmermann is Carpenter in German. Zimmermann Hüte are black Soft Felt Hats with wide brims. Lembert (Augsburg, Germany) are still in business today. The web site you posted is mine.

Strobin Panama and Straw Hat Cleaner probably around WWI. This is the second packet of Strobin that I have found. The powder is sill present in the packet. The rough translation of the instructions is worth checking out.

28255836336_d7762ba351_b.jpg

Wash Panama and Straw Hats with Strobin, 50 cents, The hat is clean in a few minutes, and appears as new. The safety of the "Strobin" is sworn by chemist Dr. Aufrecht of Berlin. Proven Millions of Times.

28186376852_7d731f64ac_b.jpg

"Instructions

Before cleaning the hatband is to be removed. The contents of this packet you pour in a saucer and add 2 tablespoons of warm water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Both are easy to mixed and then with the milky Strobin water evenly and carefully brush the hat (with old tooth or nail brush).

Before each times will dip the brush you stir it again, so that the insoluble components of the preparation to come on the hat, because this is necessary for a thorough cleaning. Then the hat is brushed off with clear water and pre-dry with a clean white cloth. The complete drying is advantageously carried out in the fresh air, if at all possible under the action of the sun's rays.

Straw hats. Many straw hats are provided with a fine, little visible lacquer coating. This coating must be carefully brushed off before using the "Strobin" with alcohol.

Panama hats. To maintain the head width to put the hat right after the pre-drying, so even when wet, a few seconds on the head and give him on the desired shape. If after your drying not like the form, so you can braid by steam easily make back docile (the kettle) and then transform. Sweat stains need to be removed before cleaning with turpentine.

Strobin Brushes are available in stock.

In strict accordance with the instructions for each Panama and Straw Hat and is like new."

More on Strobin.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...obin-straw-hat-cleaner-and-bleach/?hl=strobin

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
It's a Carpenters Hat. Zimmermann is Carpenter in German. Zimmermann Hüte are black Soft Felt Hats with wide brims. Lembert (Augsburg, Germany) are still in business today. The web site you posted is mine.

Thanks a bunch! I thought I'd recognized the name somewhere in the Lounge! I didn't believe it was wool (?). It truly is an interesting hat. As is the site you manage! A unique sturdy lid indeed. I am impressed with the your site and its contents! Thanks for the quick German interpretation on the name. :cool:

Thanks! At one time Lembert actually made both Fur and Wool Felt Stumpen / Hoods (at another location near Augsburg) in addition to finished hats. Now they only have about 10 employees but the Hat Factory is still totally intact. It's like stepping back 60 or more years in time. My guess is your hat is from the 1960s or later. Wool is commonly used for Traditional hats like this one. It might have come in both Wool and Fur options. They still make the Zimmermann Hut (second photo down on the left).

http://www.hutfabrik-lembert.de/wirfertigen.html

By the way I posted your hat on my site.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/13-kr-lembert-hutfabrik/#entry1531

This will give you an idea of the origin of this type of hat. There are craft people still doing this wandering work. It has subtitles.

This one doesn't have subtitles but you can see the hats.

Last edited:

NewJack

Practically Family
Thanks! At one time Lembert actually made both Fur and Wool Felt Stumpen / Hoods (at another location near Augsburg) in addition to finished hats. Now they only have about 10 employees but the Hat Factory is still totally intact. It's like stepping make 60 or more years in time. My guess is your hat is from the 1960s or later. Wool is commonly used for Traditional hats like this one. It might have come in both Wool and Fur options. They still make the Zimmermann Hut (second photo down on the left).

http://www.hutfabrik-lembert.de/wirfertigen.html

By the way I posted your hat on my site.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/13-kr-lembert-hutfabrik/#entry1531

Thanks for the recognition!!

This one doesn't have subtitles but you can see the hats.

I see what you mean. The gathering in town with that huge glass of brewski!! Interesting the men are wearing black in what appears to be a warm climate. At 35:04, the gentleman with the blue string tie has the hat similar to the one I shared! I would fit right in over there! :) This is great stuff! One doesn't necessarily have to understand the language because I can infer what is being documented! Work is work in any language! :) Thanks for sharing! By the way, it looks great on the site! Thanks!!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Two 1930's "Wilke" Velour hats in grey shades.

The first one is size 58 cm, the second size 57 cm.

Though both are the same style and model name ("Bürstel Electra") the lining is different (polished cotton vs. silky lining). Also the first leather has silver, the other gold embossing.

Wilke81.jpg

Wilke82.jpg

Wilke8.jpg

Wilke71.jpg

Wilke7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82