Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glued - I'd have guessed at much more recent than '63.

One feature I've not seen on a hat before is the way the top of the ribbon is tacked - the long stitches are on the outside.

Yes that would be my guess too. Like I said I am not sure about the date in the article.

Those stitches were common on German / Austrian hats. I was told (not sure of the accuracy) by a German hatter they were / are (rare today) used to keep the ribbon / bow from being damaged when the hats were stacked for shipping. I was told they should have been removed by the shop at the time of sale. Personally I wouldn't never remove them from a vintage hat (also like them on modern hats). Here is an example from a modern Mayser "City" model. What is interesting is Mayser did this until recently (might still do it) but stopped stitching liners in the 1960s.

4330067881_fc6c58759e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Those stitches were common on German / Austrian hats. I was told (not sure of the accuracy) by a German hatter they were / are (rare today) used to keep the ribbon / bow from being damaged when the hats were stacked for shipping. I was told they should have been removed by the shop at the time of sale. Personally I wouldn't never remove them from a vintage hat (also like them on modern hats).

As you were told. A few months ago "Hut Zehme" in Munich closed down for good (a "Prada" moved in :eek:) - so I had a look at the remaining Mayser hats... they all were new made and hat this loose "protective stitching" to the ribbons. They removed them at payment.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Flea market hat hunting today, you see it was a good day for me!

Mayser Milz Homburger, condition like new!
shsw.jpg

Brabant Homburger, condition like new!
7k3l.jpg

Wegener Trachten hat, condition like new!
qxz1.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nice haul Manfred the Raider. The Parabuntal is spectacular! I see the basting stitch is still in place. The Italians will be jealous! I'm jealous!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
My favorite hat thread... great stuff again!

I've picked up this hat from a fleamarket today... it is a size 58.
Can you help me dating this? Also what was written on the round sticker in the inside crown?

Thanks a lot!

SAM_5114.jpg

SAM_5117.jpg

Manfred, Yes I have a Mayser Parabuntal but yours is older + nicer.

Fastuni, Great find! I am thinking mid maybe early 1950s. I can't make out much (a crown, company / shop name in the middle?) from the tip patch photo. Would it be possible to take a sharper photo? Hut Seidel München had a strong connection with Mayser. The paper label has a some what similar format to some early 1950s Mayser paper labels. How wide is the sweatband and is it taped or stitched at the rear?

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys!

Mayserwegener, the sweatband is 4.5 cm wide, taped at the ends (the little bow were the ends meet, has come off).
No better photo of the tip sticker possible... the writing is crumbling away even more.
I can only clearly recognize the outline of the logo, but not the writing. But maybe this here helps:

1-14.jpg

Best Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82