Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Danke

It looks like a later Mayser. I would have to see the sweatband and entire liner to get a better idea on the dating. Also don't think this is the original crease. From my experience Foulard usually designates a lighter weight felt.

Thanks Pard, I knew I could rely upon you!
KGrHqZpIFDRpE-3hBQ67hs8lEw60_57.jpg

As much of the liner as I have seen.

Found some larger images but they are copyright marked.

Peter Habig (1886-1963) co-owner P. & C. Habig Wien, Berlin (1927).

8405981055_f42f8c47ab_b.jpg

8405981005_4df9859dc2_b.jpg

8407074208_212abb96a8_b.jpg

With daughters Lucy and Maria.

8405949609_76a3108b05_b.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, I don't know wheter you know this Story.

P. & C. Habig is a hatter and former kuk Appointment to the 4th Viennese district Wieden. The company is the fifth generation of Barbara Habig (* 1975) continued. The Habig family was originally from Freiburg, its history dates back to 1550. 1853 Peter Habig (born 29 January 1839 in Orb, + January 4, 1916 in Vienna) moved with his distant cousin Franz Auhl to Vienna and earned first 5 years as a hatter. In 1858, he was acquitted in Korneuburg. He married Adelheid, the daughter of Franz Auhl. With her marriage she brought a dowry with a detail her father's business, which he ran until 1866. From 1865 onwards, his brother Carl assisted in operation. From 1867 Habig erected a small workshop, in the very popular silk hats and the so-called "Chemisse Galette" were produced. 1871 was Peter Habig his brother Carl to Compagnon of the company, since the company was called "P. & C. Habig". 1870, the brothers won the gold medal at the international exhibition in Kassel. The award "hors concours Juror" won it in the 1873 Vienna World Exhibition brought them additional notoriety in high circles. Opened in 1882 both her hat factory on the street Wiedner. Equipped with the latest machinery Habig could achieve a ready market. Shops were at the Wiedner Hauptstrasse 15 right next to the factory and at the Palais Todesco at the Carinthian road 51 where silk and felt hats were sold. In 1888, a store on Berlin's Friedrichstrasse 82 was opened. The heyday of the company took place during the monarchy, as it KuK Could call the Chamber and Court hatter. Furthermore, it was P. & C. Habig purveyor of German Empress Auguste Victoria and Prince Friedrich Leopold of Prussia. Supplies were also King Edward VII of Great Britain, George I of Greece and Peter I of Serbia and Grand Duke William IV

http://www.eurobuch.com/buch/isbn/9781159273439.html

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
or that, a similar Story!

Peter HABIG
* 29.01.1839 in Salmunster
+ 04.04.1916 in Vienna

Remarks: (notes)
Religion: Roman Catholic
buried: 01/06/1916
7 Children
1853 Peter Habig moved his distant relatives Franz Auhl to Vienna and earned First 5
Years as a hatter. In 1858, he was acquitted in Korneuburg. His wife Adelheid Auhl, daughter of Franz Auhl brought as a dowry with a detail of her father's business, which he ran until 1866. From 1865 his brother Charles helped in the operation.
From 1867 Habig erected a small workshop, in what is called the very popular silk hats and
"Chemisse Galette" were produced. 1871 was Peter Habig his brother Charles for the Compagnon
Company, since the company was called "P. & C. Habig ". 1870, the brothers won the Golden
Medal at the international exhibition in Kassel. The award "hors concours Juror", to advise on the
Vienna World Exhibition in 1873, gained them additional notoriety brought in high circles.
Opened in 1882 both her hat factory on the street Wiedner.
His business:
- Directly Wiedner Hauptstrasse 15 in addition to the factory,
- At the Palais Todesco at Kärntnerstraße 51
- 1888 opening of a store on Berlin's Friedrichstrasse 82
Was allowed to "KuK chamber and court-hatter" call.
Purveyor
- German Empress Augusta Victoria
- Prince Friedrich Leopold of Prussia.
Supplies were also King Edward VII of Great Britain, George I of Greece and Peter I of Serbia and Grand Duke William IV of Luxembourg.
With the success could Habig a large ensemble of buildings early days at the factory by the architect Carl
Holzmann and Heinrich Adam can build. The so-called "Habig-Hof" was a complete work of
Apartments and retail space, which almost took up an entire city block.
More show success, the company in Philadelphia (1876), Paris (1878), Antwerp (1885),
Brussels (1888), Chicago. (1893) and won the "Grand Prix" in Paris in 1900
Peter Habig was buried at the Central Cemetery. His tomb with grave monument was designed by Josef Engelhardt.
Source: Mark Large (Excerpt)
Families (families) children (children)
1.Ehegatte:
(1st spouse) Adelheid Franziska AUHL
* 01.06.1841 in Vienna
+ 17.01.1918 in Vienna
oo 26.04.1863 in Vienna No children!
(No children found!)
Remarks: (notes)
Parents (parents) Siblings (siblings)
Father:
(Father) Blasius HABIG
* 20.02.1814 in Salmunster
+ 02.18.1880 in Salmunster
Karl HABIG * 1845 in Orb, + 1917 in Vienna
Mother:
(Mother) Christina DIETER
* 09.08.1815 in Salmunster
+ 11.12.1857 in Salmunster

http://www.online-ofb.de/famreport.php?ofb=bad_orb&ID=I32369&nachname=HABIG&modus=&lang=de

Manfred, Thanks! Yes that is pretty much what I know. The description of photos of Peter Habig say he is the co-owner of P. & C. Habig. I have no idea who the other co-owner is and if Peter Habig is the son of one of the founders. Hubert Habig was born in 1904 so I would guess he wasn't the co-owner at that time (1927). I haven't come across a complete history of the company like I have for JHS.

Manfred, Fantastic book! I assume this Peter Habig is the founder of P. & C. Habig. It is interesting that he mentions light weight hats being an Austrian speciality. Most likely the light weight Bowlers (Derby, Melone) that were produced by P. & C. Habig (see Wanamaker US newspaper ads), JHS and others. JHS won the gold medal at the 1900 Paris Grand Prix for I believe their Velour hats. Not sure if P. & C. Habig won any gold medals.

Here is a rough translation (from OCR) of his report on the hat factory exhibit.

"If we continue with the leadership of the exhibition is on this
participating fndustriezweige begin with the hat,
this happens because the same in any case most characteristic
Garment, and each epoch, or political
Movement by its form expresses its character.

The felt, silk and straw hat factory was on the
Exhibition in shiny, excellent, noble and
tasteful manner represented. This
Industry and is felt particularly in
Silk hats in proportion to the
Ordering code advanced countries. as
France, England, Germany, whose
Industry much older and thus recognized
is, to name just a young,
but has in the last decades
the powerful, sometimes big industry
(Establishments, die'bis to 1500 people
) has developed and employ auf'der
Paris Exposition showed that eres
both in technical terms and
its taste and direction with the
Competition of the most advanced
States, such as America, England, France
Can absorb fully.
In professional relationship especially
emphasize the uniqueness of the whole
exceptionally lightweight hat, a
Specialty of the Austrian, resp.
Viennese hat industry and is of no
other State is second, his
Sales region, all countries and continents
. So magnificently
Velourhüte were given expression
Which, in its solidity as
mustergiltig recognition by professionals
find, as well as the silk
hats. Participating in the exhibition
the company sons J. Hückel
Neutitschein, P. & C. Habig, Vienna *) '
J. Heinr. Ita, Vienna; Egidius Klenz,

Vienna, Josef Mauer, Vienna, Karl Ceschka, Vienna; Zeäsei &
Schönbauer Vienna.

In straw hats were two companies Ladstätter P. & Sons,
Vienna and J. Oberwalder & Co., Vienna, represented;. Both extraordinarily
powerful companies with the competition the
accommodate all first companies of foreign countries on all sides and can
Applause and recognition found. When the felt, silk-en-
straw hats and needs to be particularly emphasized,
that the taste of Vienna and Wiener-chic all-round recognition
especially in professional. Circles but also
the large audience found.

*) The esteemed author of this article
discretely conceals enough, that the company
P. & C. Habig, whose boss he is the noblest
their industry in Austria and
that the "Habig hat'' in all centers of
World like the Thonet chair and looked
an "indispensable Toüettenbehelf each
Gentleman is."

Last edited:
P. & C. Habig Wien, Zink Gray Melone, Size Point 5, 130 grams, 1930

Rare to come across a gray Melone. Very nice felt and finish on this one. Very high quality which is expected for a P. & C. Habig Wien. The sweatband is date stamped October 16, 1930.

8410394039_4f7268b149_b.jpg

8410371421_b95d0a3bf3_b.jpg

8411457948_ae0460cb30_b.jpg

8410353807_26d2163347_b.jpg

8410355847_13c771b84b_b.jpg

8411451290_8ac297c53a_b.jpg

8304606872_24d89161c5_b.jpg

8303557081_2e088ebffe_b.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Steve, that is a beautiful Viennese Melone! A rare and wonderful color, too. I've come to believe they were made in many other colors than black, especially in the naturals, but since I've never seen any, I'm thinking maybe I just watch too many movies.
I have a lightweight grey Dobbs derby, probably from the 60s, however.

Jeff, Thanks! You are correct about the other colors (also finishes) and they have some very unique ones at the Novy Jicin (Czech Republic) City museum. Gray and brown are the most common although rare to find them today.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I remember you posting several images from that museum. They were marvelous! I figured those were the only surviving examples, especially that amazing long haired teal-ish one! I do have a sweet old brown Knox, as well as a sand colored Mallory (more contemporary) that could really use a refurb, but seems like just about every western movie I watch nowadays has loads of pecans and naturals. That's kind of why I stopped buying derbies-- just tired of black!
However, if I ever see a German or Austrian melone, I might not be able to hold back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82