Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen prefer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
As far as looks, I tend to favor darker complexions. Regarding physical types, I am all over the place. In my opinion, the two most beautiful women in history have been Sofia Loren, and Audrey Hepburn, so that gives a bit of an idea there.

The most important physical feature is the eyes though. I can get lost in the eyes, it doesn't matter if they are blue, brown, green or whatever, but beautiful eyes will entrance me instantly.

However, after the initial entrancement, there has to be something of substance behind the eyes to keep me interested.

Also, confidence is key. She needs to know who she is and not be trying to be something else, even for me.

(Being Catholic is also rather important, but that is a different question.)

vintage68

Practically Family
The first thing that attracts me to a woman is noticing a certain elegance and sophistication. It's not so much what she wears, as how she wears it. Good perfume, understated jewelry, etc. And hell, garters certainly don't hurt ;-)

The thing that would keep me interested is intelligence (well read, cultured, interested in the wider world) and a good sense of humor. Someone that works out and takes care of themselves, has a life of their own and wants to share it too. I've made my share of mistakes, so I'm not looking for perfection or for a woman that expects perfection either.

Everything else (hopefully) follows.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
That is an important one. Different opinions on having children can lead to a whole lot of sadness.

Yup. You have to be upfront about this I think. I told my boy I didn't want kids before we'd even kissed.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Conversational skills.

Looks will get you noticed, but if you haven't got anything else, I'll lose interest very quickly. If you have something interesting to say, I'll keep paying attention even if you're not my type. Because, realistically, my "type" is interesting, far more than it's anything physical.

My girlfriend... without knowing her, I'd have said she wasn't my type. I mean, she's cute (in my opinion), but not what usually draws my eye. However, I've known her for years and always found her an interesting person, so I always thought of her as an attractive person. Not someone I knew well, just someone I'd run into on occasion and always enjoyed seeing.

Fairly recently, it turned out that she'd always had a bit of an interest in me, too. Funny how these things work out. I never thought there was any chance of us getting together, so I didn't worry about it and just treated her as a friend.

Anyway, my point is this (and I know this is true for most of my male friends, too): what we want is someone who's good company and that we can get along with as friends. Attraction is one thing, but the idea that guys respond to looks and nothing else is a serious underestimate of what really interests most of us. If you want shallow guys, then try to draw their attention with looks. If you want an interesting guy, BE INTERESTING.

vintage68

Practically Family
DAJE said:
Looks will get you noticed, but if you haven't got anything else, I'll lose interest very quickly. If you have something interesting to say, I'll keep paying attention even if you're not my type.

Nicely put.

I'd also add that I want someone with realistic adult expectations, someone that isn't looking for a fantasy ideal that no one could ever measure up to.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eyes and personality. Alot of people think I'm some kind of sociopath because I simply have no draw towards "pretty" women. But if she has a knockout personality, and great pair of eyes, I'm slobbering.

Some "ugly" women I've been involved with had the most interesting, exciting and raucous personalities - and therefore, were far more attractive - than the cookie-cut, paint-peeling personalities you'd find in possession of "gorgeous" women.

Bing Crosby had a song about this titled Personality.

rumblefish

One Too Many
So important for me.

A pretty smile and stunning eyes pull me in, but...
The ability to do things on her own. Not fix a flat, or put up a sheetrock wall, but having and being immersed in her own interests. I've met so many girls/women who seem as though they were waiting for a man to make her what she should be.
The girl who had her own little boat that she towed behind her car without any help (from me or any one else). The girl who taught me things about gardening and cooking. The girl who took me on her adventures. These are the ones I stay with.

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
Intelligence, wit, charm, a measure of grace, interest in the arts, literature, a well grounded point of self-worth but a lack of ego, a visible confidence, not needy enough to need a man but secure enough to find one that fits her personality, shows an interest in my hobbies but also shares hers to expand my horizons, when your eyes meet across a crowded room you know you're both sharing the same thought; a private joke perhaps, her scent when it lingers on your arm hours after she's left you, the slight increase in pulse when you see her for the first time....or the millionth time, tall, short, petite or queen size, blond, brunette, redhead, or a touch of silver, she is Electra to me.

....of course a great set of boobs doesn't hurt either. ;)

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Yup. You have to be upfront about this I think. I told my boy I didn't want kids before we'd even kissed.

This is something I never would "maybe" about, either. I'll pipe up as the third in this thread so far who has a desire to remain without human children...is it something about Londoners? lol

vintage68

Practically Family
bunnyb.gal said:
This is something I never would "maybe" about, either. I'll pipe up as the third in this thread so far who has a desire to remain without human children...is it something about Londoners? lol

I didn't think the British had sex?

Best personals headline I've seen was from a guy that said "No sex please, I'm British." Evidently it generated a lot of responses for him....?

Edward

Bartender
not a money thing for me. I mean, I'm certainly much better off financially without any dependants other than my cats, but I didn't want kids long, long before I ever considered moving to London.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Maybe it's a vintage londoner thing... there are certainly plenty of ankle biters around my locale! Or perhaps it's the the kind of thing a woman in her late 30s will say a lot in public because otherwise people will tend to assume I am wringing my hands desperate for a baby before my 'time runs out'!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
You did ask...

shopgirl61 said:
Not just blondes ;) a question for the single gents here...

:)

…for single gents. I would suggest you’d want to ask the married guys, as we have actually sealed the deal, so to speak.

Everyone always says the same things: looks aren’t that important, a sense of humor is important, etc. My observation is that people are looking for explanations after the fact and trying to figure out what happened. It seems to me that what attracts and holds is a combination of attributes that works at that time. At a different time, a different combination may work.

Of course looks matter, but I think we mostly focus on looks for lack of something easy to explain. I think it would be wonderful if we could reduce all of this to some easy to follow formula, but a the end of the day, it appears to me that it either works or doesn’t work and there isn’t much point it analyzing it.

Get out and meet as many people as you can. Initially at least, take every person who seems interested in you seriously. Take your time and don’t over commit too soon. When it is right you’ll just know it, but you won’t be able to really explain it.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I always seemed to end up with the crazy ones... Some of you are probably nodding your heads and saying, "Oh yeah, I know exactly what he means..." Truth be told, I probably bring out the crazy in them....

Sure they might look sweet and sound like the real deal... But when no one is looking or the chips are down, out comes Miss Crazy Woman with an anvil to drop on my head....

What ever happened to actually caring if I was feeling under the weather or if some mope tried to punch my clock at work??

How about some compassion and respect?

I always seemed to go for the "girl next door"... But it's always been the eyes that talk to me. They have to be sincere!

When you tell your someone your thoughts and your dreams, you need someone who will actually look at you with a sincerity that makes you believe that they actually care what you're saying... Otherwise you're just wasting your breath for someone who really isn't there.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
shopgirl61 said:
Not just blondes ;) a question for the single gents here, what is it about a woman that draws you to her? is it stockings with garters or corsets and waist cinchers, the sultry look of innocence? or perhaps not so innocent ;) Does intelligence stand a chance anymore or values and morals?

is it all looks that propel you to jump in and risk getting a 'no thanks' answer to a date?. What matter most to you? and i'm not just asking with regards to marriage or courtship... I have spent the past few weeks listening to my 80 yo father tell me about what kind of girl he was especially drawn to, back in the day and leading up to his wife of 52 yrs.

:)

Another two cents from a married guy...

In situations where I didn't know a woman, appearance was pretty much the only thing I had to go on. Drop-dead gorgeous wasn't the requirement but there had to be something about her that caught my eye. Whether I asked for a second date depended on all the other factors. Intelligence, sense of humor - all the things you can't know until you actually spend some time with a person.

It is so much easier to meet someone at work or church or some other regular social event where there is the opportunity to get to know more about that person before asking for the first date. There still has to be some physical attraction though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe