Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentleman's clothing - in 1807? Help?

metropd

One Too Many
Yes, it was accurate because like Manton said most of the movie took place in the New England country side, so the clothing was around 15-30 years behind the early 19th centuries current fashion as most of the movie took place in Sleepy Hollow. I remember that it started in New York as he was a Police constable in the City Watch who was tired of seeing the cities failure to modernize their law enforcment and justice system with proper innovations and was sent to investigate a series of murders. I loved the movie, as I do remember I seemed upset when many characters had just popped white shirts up and starched them instead of having period shirts that actually were supposed to point up. Did any one else notice this innacuracy? Maybe those wonderful cravats took the emphasis away from the costumers mistake.[huh]

Dagwood

Practically Family
Colonial Williamsburg has just put up a 14 minute podcast called "The Art of the Cut" discussing 18th century tailoring. The transcript of the podcast can be found here. I found this interesting:

"Lloyd: That sort of indicates that men were more interested in how they looked, in their presentation of themselves, than they are now.

"Neal: It certainly could. But also the fact that yourself could not go to a store in the 18th century and buy ready-made clothing, clothing already made off the rack. Your breeches, your waistcoat, your coat, your frock, your roqueleaure, all of the garments you're going to need – except for things like your shirts and stockings and shoes and shoe buckles – would all be made bespoke in 18th century. So it's your preoccupation to go find the fabric, the lining, the inner linings, all of the things you need for your clothes, then seek out your tailor you want your clothes made by. It's very unlikely that yourself would go to the store and buy your clothes ready made."

More articles about clothing in the 18th century can be found here and here. The second article notes this: "The only discernable differences in the clothing for rich or poor was in the quality of the fabric. There was less difference in the quality of construction than in the type of fabric, since there was basically the same workmanship in a shirt for a slave as there was in a gentleman's fine silks. Most tailors did not sell fabric, so people selected fabric from a merchant in town and brought their own fabric to the tailor."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I went for mid century canal boat

The hat was too silly.

IMG_6236.jpg

This is the only picture from the day. The pants are very high -- higher in the back and fishtailed. Of the few thousand who turned out, I was the only person "in costume." So I changed for the concert. :(

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Scott, that shirt looks great! Is it the Peterman shirt? I love half-front shirts. Too bad your town didn't get into the spirit with you.

I nearly picked up a pair of those pants myself about three weeks ago, when Nick Charles and I were at Cabela's. They had a pair in my size with a tiny dot, making them seconds. I regret not grabbing them, but my wallet doesn't! lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's the Peterman shirt in "Fustian." A linen-cotton blend. The pants are from Wild West Mercantile, $39. Not bad, but... where will I wear them again??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust