Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Generation Y?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Hmm, I've always wondered this myself. Now I know.

- The Silent generation, people born before 1946.

- The Baby Boomers, people born between 1946 and 1959.

- Generation X, people born between 1960 and 1979.

- Generation Y, people born between 1980 and 1995 .

Why do we call the last one generation Y?

I did not know, but a caricaturist explains it eloquently below...

Learned something new!

Scroll down a bit.....

generation_Y.jpg

:p

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer to call myself an echo-boomer, or the Silicone Generation. But yeah, we're Generation Y...

lol That was pretty funny though. I hate that style as well.

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
I'm very partial to jeans (over any manner of dress pants), but I can't stand people that look like that. I'm not a fan of being considered Gen.Y either. It seems like there is a reason for the other names, but Y is just, "well, it comes after X..." In that respect, echo or or silicon generation is better (though echo is still just in reference to a prior generation...).

Vanessa

One Too Many
I see it all the time at courthouses & airports when they have to remove their belts to go through the metal detectors.

Foofoogal

Banned
I bet 85% of them do not know it has a prison basis either. Something about being available. :rolleyes:
I would get exhausted pulling up my britches constantly. [huh]
I guess it is not much different than fad of trying to cram everyone in a volkswagon or telephone booth. lol

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Well that reminds me more of my dad when he forgets to put on a belt than it reminds me of anyone my age! The young people are all about hiking the boxers UP and letting the pants sag! Let's get with the program here.

jayem

A-List Customer
I was born in 1987, and personally I find that style disgusting.

To a previous poster, we ARE the MTV Generation... but that's more of a subcategory.

Flivver

Practically Family
I've been doing generational research as part of my job for 20 years. We just completed an in-depth analysis of Generation Y and found solid evidence that this cohort has finally found their adult "look".

We're calling it a "return to elegance"...influenced by (but not exactly like) their grandparent's style.

This means that among the style leaders of Gen Y, the guys are wearing suits, captoe shoes and French-cuff shirts. The girls are wearing 1950s style dresses, cardigan sweaters and pearls.

Gen Y might just be the force that turns style away from the current very casual look!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Hooray

Flivver said:
I've been doing generational research as part of my job for 20 years. We just completed an in-depth analysis of Generation Y and found solid evidence that this cohort has finally found their adult "look".

We're calling it a "return to elegance"...influenced by (but not exactly like) their grandparent's style.

This means that among the style leaders of Gen Y, the guys are wearing suits, captoe shoes and French-cuff shirts. The girls are wearing 1950s style dresses, cardigan sweaters and pearls.

Gen Y might just be the force that turns style away from the current very casual look!

Both of my daughters are Gen Y ('92 & '95) and the older one definately is going for the cardigans sweater, pearls or sometimes Audrey Hepburn look. Hmm, I thought it was just my influence but I am pleased just the same

jayem

A-List Customer
Generation Y is 1980 to 1995? Odd. I sometimes thing the generational periods are too long. I find it easier to relate to a 28yr old much more than a 13yr old... I really don't consider people born past 1992 to be in my generation, IMO.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
once my friends and i entired college we kinda took a step up from casual...no more baggy jeans, tall tees or xxxxxxxl sweatshirts...all born in '87...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jayem said:
Generation Y is 1980 to 1995? Odd. I sometimes thing the generational periods are too long. I find it easier to relate to a 28yr old much more than a 13yr old... I really don't consider people born past 1992 to be in my generation, IMO.

I agree. I was born in 1963, which some call the next-to-the-last-year of the baby boomers, but I have no real connection to what's generally considered "baby boomer culture" -- we simply didn't have "THE SIXTIES" where I grew up, and even if they had I was too young to care. Others would put me in Generation X, but I have even less in common with that whole cultural phenomenon. Just goes to point up how the whole "generation thing" has its basis more in theories cooked up by the Boys From Marketing than it does any kind of universal reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld