Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General guidlines for the new kid on the block?

curtishart

New in Town
So, pursing through these threads for the past few days, I am overwhelmed at the amount of information available. However, as many threads I've seen & read, I've been to two thrift stores so far and had purchase anxiety when looking for period clothes.

Anyone have any good "Getting started" pointers when trying to start your wardrobe out? I've read and seen the scanned Sears catalog pages and have some basic ideas, but for example casual style (work shirts, tie & slacks) as much as I've been searching and looking both online and brick and mortar shops, all I keep thinking is getting the Dickies shirts, where I know these's alternatives.

I just need to know what to look for, especially when in these thrift stores. I know it's a pretty vague request, but if anyone has any guidelines to start with I would be most appreciative. Primarily looking for late 30s/early 40s styles including what to look for in suits, shoes, casual attire and the like.

Many thanks!

L Lawliet

New in Town
Something Simple.

For a forties look. I would stick with a nice double breasted suit. A larger pointed collar undershirt and two line button blazer. A nice fashion back then was pleated pants with rolled bottoms. Ties are normally a little skinny.
Gray or black goes with most ties. Goodwill can get you a decent suit for 20 to 30 dollars!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I feel your pain! It is very hard to know where to begin.

Realize that much of what you will see in thrifting has possibly been picked over: there isn't that much around now, either, in terms of finding 30's, 40's apparel for sale.
You'll have to train your eye, and this is probably the best place on the net to do it. May I suggest you start with this thread, Show us your suits.

Good luck, and welcome to The Fedora Lounge.

One place to get your fashion tips from are films from the time period you wish to emulate. Now, I am not saying that some Fred Astaire top hat and tails scenes are going to give you pointers for work a day fashion, but there are plenty of films that show ordinary people in fairly ordinary daily fashion. Then look for the details. Demensions and drape, what is combined with what and so on. Film may be a bit idealized but should not be way off base for the look you want.

You'll notice how often that a clothing item from a film is mentioned and the posting member is seeking a source for something like it.

Happy hunting

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with all the above (as our mentors/bartenders are awesome sources, including most of our senior members).

I'd also like to add that you should consider a casual study into fashion itself. Learn why people wore what they wore, or used what they used; learn how they used it. Learn how to maintain those things. Then attempt to put that philosophy into practice on some not-so-vintage less-expensive threads/shoes/hats, etc. I think you'll learn to appreciate the vintage items MUCH more once you've learned to appreciate everything involved with them.

Also, never forget, fashion has little to do with confidence and style. It takes a little confidence and a dash of style to look good in something of any period.

Good luck, happy hunting! :D

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great book series for a beginner!

The Dover paperback books, Everyday Fashions of the ..." (they have the 20s, 30s, and 40s), as it gives you a year by year, seasonal look at clothes, shoes, hats, etc. A really great way to learn to identify the styles by the decades. And they aren't expensive!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Undertow said:
I'd also like to add that you should consider a casual study into fashion itself. Learn why people wore what they wore, or used what they used; learn how they used it. Learn how to maintain those things. Then attempt to put that philosophy into practice on some not-so-vintage less-expensive threads/shoes/hats, etc. I think you'll learn to appreciate the vintage items MUCH more once you've learned to appreciate everything involved with them.

What a great little jewel of suggestion! Often newbies want the look, and are so enamored of 'the look' that they dont try to learn its reason, or that there are dozens of versions of 'the look'.

Also consider, do you want to be as period correct as you can (of corse giving acceptation to your own personal touches) or do you want to look like a 'caricature' of the era, a fashion plate even the general population can point out?

If you avoid the ladder, then you will find thousands of ways to pull off the 'vintage look' just fine :)

LD

Caroline

One of the Regulars
curtishart said:
I just need to know what to look for, especially when in these thrift stores. I know it's a pretty vague request, but if anyone has any guidelines to start with I would be most appreciative. Primarily looking for late 30s/early 40s styles including what to look for in suits, shoes, casual attire and the like.

Many thanks!

Well as far as thrift stores go, I've found that over time, your eyes and fingers will become adept at finding the quality fabrics and construction. Just keep perusing them. Even if you don't make that big score for a while, because there's the inevitable fit issue, you'll at least learn what you like and the good brands (and union labels) will start to rise to the top. Happy hunting :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld