Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary from Buffalo, you're on the air...

Canadave

One Too Many
From another thread,

Originally posted by Rundquist
Gary makes a good hat and is a gentleman to deal with. Gary has a lot of vintage felt too. That would be the big draw in going to him. Unfortunately you'd really need to visit him in Buffalo to take full advantage of what he's got in the back room. Optimo is a safe bet no matter what. Cheers

Does anyone else have an opinion of this hatter? I'm planning a trip to Buffalo in a few weeks, but unfortunately, his web site claims that the store is only open M-F and I'm going on the weekend. (I'd be interested in his vintage felt.)

http://www.vis-pro.com/custom_hatter/hatter.html

Thanks,

David

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Ah yes! that reply from Rundquist was a reply to my first posting on this illustrious forum.

I've talked to Gary more than any other hatter and and have tried on some of his hats. but I've not yet had a hat made by him---I went with the Optimo based on opinions here, for better or for worse. But I can say something about him and the hats I've seen. They are awesome. 100% beaver and they feel like it. Soft soft soft.

In my conversations with him, he knows his stuff about hats, and is now making a lot of hats for Broadway productions and the like. Given the fact that he is all the way in nowheresville of Buffalo, NY may have some significance in the omission of the discussion of his hats around here. Could also be a kind of groupthink phenomenon--geez, I went with Optimo too, when I know Gary's hats are 100% beaver and possibly softer! Who knows.

Frankly, outside of the group here, he is the best known and one of the most respected custom fedora guys among some other groups in the US I'm involved with costuming and fedoras and custom hat making.

I'm not sure I've felt fedoras as comfy as his before, based on the two in my size I've tried on. I have not however tired on Optimos and GH hats though.

Also, his website sucks. So does Optimo's. these guys would be much better off with great sites that describe hats, hatmaking, materials, and sample styles in clear pictures. Trent's site is also way outdated--he's doing the neat contemporary stuff, though he is not your traditional fedora old school hatter.

But you are the man, now. you will be the man to fill us in and shape our perceptions. I'd love to have a few advocates for some of the other hatters and hat styles here--western or classic fedora, just to add some variety to taste, evolution of the art, and discussion. Go for it, and fill us in. Be objective. If he's awesome in your opinion, let people know. Opens up the larger discussion. And the guy's got vintage and real 100% beaver hats for 4 hundred bucks! Most others don't. I'd love to go as well. Enjoy!

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Some of Gary?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hats are advertised as having a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCavanaugh Edge?¢‚Ǩ? such as this one.
http://www.shopniagara.net/custom_hatter/adventurer.html

I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t think that any felt manufactures make a Cavanaugh Edge hat body anymore. This would indicate that these hats are made from vintage felts (Gary has told me that he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s got many vintage hat bodies. For that matter, he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s sent me vintage hat bodies to examine.). From a vintage hat body point of view, I believe that Gary is a great deal. He?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to new felt though; he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s at the mercy of his suppliers. Optimo on the other hand has their felts made special to their specifications. Most hat experts tout their felts as the most vintage-like on the market today. In both cases you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d be best off walking into their shops, which is an impossibility for many of us. Gary?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not going to cut up a vintage felt for swatches if you know what I mean. Cheers

Butters

New in Town
Does he have an email adress that anyone is aware of? I live in california and it would be much simpler to just email him.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
You know, you're right! Geez, I had thought I had e-mailed him in the past but I guess I have never in fact e-mailed him. My amnesia. If you call him he probably can give you an e-mail address.

Anyway, not a good way to do business when even the 100% beaver western hatters all have 800 numbers and e-mail addresses.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say, I looked at that site and I thought that they looked rather nice!

It also appears that he has old equipment as well.

Call him up and see if he would make a special appointment with you Dave!

Good stuff!

Root.

Butters

New in Town
No, I'm not near buffalo, but there are only a handful of places i can get nice quality 7 3/4 hats. So i thought i would check him out.

I need to work on getting a signature and avatar... hmmm.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Gary was featured in the October 2003 issue of Cigar Aficionado, in their "made for you" section.

"The hayday of hats may have gone, but Gary White, master hatter of Buffalo, New York, has saved enough of the artistry and the tools(some as old as 150 years) to make head toppers come alive again. While he's created some of the most famous fedoras in recent movie history (Harrison For as Indiana Jones, Warren Beatty as Dick Tracy), every hat is given the same custom treatment, fitted not only to the size, but to the shape of the wearers head. Those who visit the shop will have their heads measured in an antique tool that even notes bumps and dents. www.vis-pro.com"

Welcome Butters. I think you are giving Canadave some competition for hat size there. :D Don't worry David, you still hold the title here. LOL
Butters, I think it actually takes four pounds of pelts from your avatar to make a hat. That one beaver would not even make the brim of a hat. :D If you can duplicate him by about 15 or more that would be about right. It would make an interesting avatar though. ;)
I see your from California like me. I might be able to recommend someone who could make you a Work of Art hat if you are in the East Bay Area here. It would save some time and long distance phone calls too. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Butters

New in Town
No. sadly i live a little over 4 hours from the bay area. Down in santa barbara, the closest thing we have to a hatter is a store called "the green and yellow basket" now does that sound like a place to find hats? And if by rodeo youre reffering to art, ive been in contact with him recently about a hat, I'm just interested in what everyone has to offer.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Butters
...only a handful of places i can get nice quality 7 3/4 hats...

How do you walk around with that noggin'? ;)

Seriously, just what I need, more competition! :) What hats have you got now, and where did you get 'em?

Again, welcome!

David

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
No. sadly i live a little over 4 hours from the bay area. Down in santa barbara, the closest thing we have to a hatter is a store called "the green and yellow basket" now does that sound like a place to find hats? And if by rodeo youre reffering to art, ive been in contact with him recently about a hat, I'm just interested in what everyone has to offer.

Have you ever been to a restaurant there called The Palace?

Butters

New in Town
the palace.... hmm what kind of fplace is it, i recognize the name but im not sure. As far as walking around with this noggin, alot of it is hair =D. I could probably fit a 7 1/2 if i cut it, and if compressed i fit a 7 5/8. I just got interested in fedoras after recieving a 3 fedoras from my great grandfather (hes dead but my grandparents gave me the hats) 1 of them is size 7, the other a 7 1/8 and are in poor condition. The last was a 7 5/8 which fits, but slighty tight. Its a stetson 3x. It looks like the one open road one that sold on ebay just a while ago. Except that the brim shape has been changed and sort of bends down in the front. I hopefully should be getting my firts panama, from panamabob within the next few monthes. And if possible i want to order a hat from Art. Maybe ill take a road trip one of these days. I hope theres still plenty of vintage hats for the both of us dave, but sadly i know that ebay is lacking in our size. LOL

Edit: MK if your talking about the cajun food resturant, then yes I have been there quite a few times. Good po-boy sandwhiches. And an excelent chocolate souffle.

Canadave

One Too Many
...I just got interested in fedoras after recieving a 3 fedoras from my great grandfather (hes dead but my grandparents gave me the hats) 1 of them is size 7, the other a 7 1/8 and are in poor condition. The last was a 7 5/8 which fits, but slighty tight...

I have to ask...did your great grandfather have 3 heads? :)

(I hope this wasn't in poor taste. I was just trying to be funny!)

The 7 5/8 may have shrunk a bit. If it's close, maybe that is your size. Have you measured the circumference of your head with a soft tape measure?

Keep well,

David
(I hope I'm still in the Lounge.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S