Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

Talbot

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
pool2.jpg

"Oh Talbot how can you bear to leave home in the Mornings, its almost a "Resort" do you have poolside Cocktail parties?, what sort of lighting do you have at night?"

Thanks Binkie, it isn't easy:) .

Over summer, poolside cocktails are a regular feature, even if its just my wife and me. She is a natural mixologist so we get a lot of practice.

There are couple of spotlights aimed into the canopy and some fairly large citronella torches that give just the right light. They help with the mozzies and work well with a Tiki theme. I'll see if I can post a pic.

There is a lid on it over winter, so its not looking anywhere near as inviting just now.:(

Talbot

One Too Many
tonyb said:
That's just splendid, Talbot. Was the pool in when you moved in?

It appears those umbrellas might have bamboo poles and ribs. Izzat right? If so, got any suggestions as to where a person might find some? They look like oversized versions of those little parasols they once used (I suppose they still do use 'em) to adorn fruity cocktails.

Good eyes TonyB! Yep, the small one is bamboo, the larger one wood. We picked it up from a tropical supply place nearby.

Only problem is its so light that you only need an anaemic hamster breath of a wind and it wants to take off.

We put the pool in ourselves - what an episode. The backyard looked like a battle zone. All that was missing was dead troops and burning armour!

Talbot said:
We put the pool in ourselves - what an episode. The backyard looked like a battle zone. All that was missing was dead troops and burning armour!

But that way you got the satisfaction of turning a dump into a showplace, right? At least that's what I remind myself when I find myself muttering, "what the hell did I get myself into this time?"

I'm intrigued by that pool, what I can see of it in the photo. It's beautiful, really. And it makes me wonder why people would go to such trouble and expense to install such a thing without paying such careful attention to its appearance.

I'm feeling almost fortunate to have such a small space to work with here. I can get really carried away without it becoming overwhelming.

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I just came in for lunch from planting some tomato seedlings that my son brought home from preschool along with two rosh bushes.
I still have to go out and finish planting the lima beans, radishes, 8 or ten more rose bushes and a cutting of an epiphylum I got from my mother's neighbor. [huh]
More roses?:eek:
Well, wadya get?

Mav

A-List Customer
Lost my seedlings, so I took the last three days off, picked up nursery stock, and have been planting and repairing the drip system.

Decided not to bother with green leafies this year- I got tired of fighting the rats last year, which are apparently the city of Benicia's mascot. I'm not fast enough with the pellet gun.

Mav said:
Lost my seedlings, so I took the last three days off, picked up nursery stock, and have been planting and repairing the drip system.

Decided not to bother with green leafies this year- I got tired of fighting the rats last year, which are apparently the city of Benicia's mascot. I'm not fast enough with the pellet gun.

:eusa_doh: Gee, that is a shame to have to start all over again.
I know what you mean about repairing the drip system though. The furry tailed rats around here(aka Squirrels) chewed through a few spots in my drip system. :eusa_doh: I wonder if it tasted good to them. [huh]
I have had a pobem with Norwich roof rats a while back here too. The rat blocks nail them really good though. I put them on the roof they used to travel to my fruit trees and bang---gone.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
My poor herbs and nasturtiums are starting to get yellowed leaves. I haven't been using fertilizer and hope that one with a good amount of nitrogen will help. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a liquid or powdered fertilizer? Remember that I'm using self-watering containers, so I need something I can add to the water reservoir.

And does anyone have any experience with seawood/fish fertilizer?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Gallivarda is how tempermental, James? Its lovely. I want one. But I try to stick to "Roses For Newbies" you know that parade of like really stubborn solid shrubby roses like Knockout and Carefree Wonder, etc.

Mav

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
:eusa_doh: Gee, that is a shame to have to start all over again.
I know what you mean about repairing the drip system though. The furry tailed rats around here(aka Squirrels) chewed through a few spots in my drip system. :eusa_doh: I wonder if it tasted good to them. [huh]
I have had a pobem with Norwich roof rats a while back here too. The rat blocks nail them really good though. I put them on the roof they used to travel to my fruit trees and bang---gone.
Gah. Yeah- squirrels, too. They chewed through the main drip line on my hanging tomato trellis, while the roof rats (damn, we've got a ton of 'em- it's from being near the water, I think) were chomping away on my Napa cabbage and chard.
I've been trying to figure out a way to keep the squirrels and rats off of my fruit trees, but the entire neighborhood is one big, green canopy. They either stripped my apricot trees this year, or the funky weather has done something to them, because they're bare and shouldn't be.

Viola said:
Gallivarda is how tempermental, James? Its lovely. I want one. But I try to stick to "Roses For Newbies" you know that parade of like really stubborn solid shrubby roses like Knockout and Carefree Wonder, etc.

Gallivarda is noted for its winter hardiness. The color is the real draw though. It reblooms very well but you pay for it with a very light fragrance.
It is probably not best described as shrubby. It has more strong upright growth than bushy growth. Gallivarda is your typical hybrid tea in that sense. ;) :D
I grow it because of the flowers and because it is a fairly decent plant in some lousy locations around the yard. :D

Mav said:
Gah. Yeah- squirrels, too. They chewed through the main drip line on my hanging tomato trellis, while the roof rats (damn, we've got a ton of 'em- it's from being near the water, I think) were chomping away on my Napa cabbage and chard.
I've been trying to figure out a way to keep the squirrels and rats off of my fruit trees, but the entire neighborhood is one big, green canopy. They either stripped my apricot trees this year, or the funky weather has done something to them, because they're bare and shouldn't be.

Squirrels raid my peach/nectarine tree as well. They steal the fruit or they just gnaw holes in it right on the plant!:eusa_doh:
I would suggest using the scarecrow water sprayer/motion sensor in the area but it seems that they wouldn't likely trip the motion sensor---unless you place it in the trees. [huh]
The Scarecrow would work for the cabbage and chard though. That is ground level. They couldn't get away from a good soaking. :p

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Do any Loungers pick wild mushrooms?
Every year we get lovely looking mushies growing in our yard. I've never tried them as I really don't know enough about mushrooms & knowing my luck they are deadly poisonous.
They might be pine mushrooms (which are perfectly ok to eat) but I was told they might be Golden Tops (which aren't poisonous, but I'd really rather not eat psychotropic mushrooms).
4671250280_f830880a1a_m.jpg

4670615793_6177fbb5c8_m.jpg

Can anyone help?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
We used to when we lived in Oregon. Truffle hunting too. But unfortunately I know less than nothing about Australian mushrooms. Sorry. It is a fun little hobby though.

It's a function of age, I think, to find one's own home the best place to pass the time. That seems true of most people, anyway. Hence the gardening thing, right?

Our garden is quite humble, at least in comparison to the places featured in this thread. But I dig it (pun intended), and I dig having people over. It's a pleasant atmosphere, and it's getting better all the time. And I like visiting friends' digs (ditto) as well, and I understand entirely why they enjoy showing off the fruits of their efforts. This working with nature, this massaging it to suit our visions of what it could be, is just so, I dunno, civilized?

Your place is beautiful, Talbot. I'm usually not one for pools (most of them take up more space, not to mention money, than would seem prudent for my modest garden and bank account), but yours has me reconsidering. My hat's off to the designer(s).

Talbot

One Too Many
tonyb said:
It's a function of age, I think, to find one's own home the best place to pass the time. That seems true of most people, anyway. Hence the gardening thing, right?

Our garden is quite humble, at least in comparison to the places featured in this thread. But I dig it (pun intended), and I dig having people over. It's a pleasant atmosphere, and it's getting better all the time. And I like visiting friends' digs (ditto) as well, and I understand entirely why they enjoy showing off the fruits of their efforts. This working with nature, this massaging it to suit our visions of what it could be, is just so, I dunno, civilized?

Your place is beautiful, Talbot. I'm usually not one for pools (most of them take up more space, not to mention money, than would seem prudent for my modest garden and bank account), but yours has me reconsidering. My hat's off to the designer(s).

Thank you tony, much appreciated, I'll pass your kind words on to my wife. She's the brains of the outfit;) .

Of all luxuries, privacy is the one we value most, so we eventually opted for a bit of land around us and lots of high fences. I'm faced with a longer commute, but its worth it at the end of the day, particularly summer.

Having said that, I have seen some spectacular small gardens. In fact, during winter I yearn for a more compact place:) .

It's only worth having a pool if you use it. Otherwise its too much expense and work for the effort. They are great to look at, but that's not very often if you don't keep a strict maintenance regime.

My advice is if you are not sure, don't do it - you will regret it.

Cheers

Talbot

Mav

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
The Scarecrow would work for the cabbage and chard though. That is ground level. They couldn't get away from a good soaking. :p
Benicia simply needs to lift the ban on discharging a shotgun within city limits.

Lolly- my little brother moved to Oregon a year ago, and it seems to be 'shroomhunter paradise. Not only edibles, but mildly psychoactives, so he's saving money previously spent on cheap scotch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe