Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-Man action shooting

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The director got a good trainer for Cruise. His brother who was an SOF guy IIRC. A well done shooting movie.

Back on topic, from what I've read, the Cowboy Action guys don't necessarily shoot "Old Westie", they just use the weapons and accoutrements and scenarios.

It shouldn't be that difficult to come up with actual shooting problems from the G-man era to solve using period appropriate weapons. Especially if folks don't all gravitate to HE's and 1911's. Be nice to get some break-top .32's back in action. No need to go into the "FBI crouch".

The attempted assassination of Truman would be a good one ("American Gunfight" Stephen Hunter). Lots of visual barriers, cover and bystanders. Could be run from different perspectives.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Actually

We've been doing this exact thing for years!

Being in the MIlwaukee and Illinois area, many of us are more than familiar with the gangland legends... together with the fact that many of us have been SASS members and CAS shooters since the 90's. We decided to have shoots which included double action and auto pistols, with pump action shotguns and some single action rifles.

Though currently on the back burner, we have The Gangland Historical Reenactment Society. This would include reenactments and also live-action shoots. Let's face it, the midwest isn't really known for the Wild West adventures.... But we sure had a helluva Roaring 20's and 30's.

If you're interested in more info, drop me a PM.

Good luck with your endeavors. And most importantly, have fun and be safe!

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Sounds like a blast to me. (Pun intended). While I've always had an interest in CAS, I could never justify the investment in guns, gear, and clothing. This version, the clothing is in the closet, one gun is in the safe, and others would not break the budget too badly, and gear could be acquired without having to custom order everything. Add my vote in favor, so long as a stock mil-spec 1911 fits the bill.

God, think of the guns. 1917's, 1911's, Detective Specials, 1903 Colts. So many great guns.

I guess I'm going to have to watch The Untouchables this weekend...:D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I was just thinking about this!

I have been lamenting that I cannot afford to get into CAS right now. Ironically, I could probably afford to get into "G-Man Action Shooting" because I've already got the clothes and I have a couple old H&R or Iver Johnson revolvers that my mom inherited from her dad that are chambered in the "useless" .38 S&W caliber. Heck, they might even have a "gangland" history as he grew up on the poor side of Saginaw, MI in the '20s and '30s.

If "The Untouchables" is to be believed, Winchester lever actions are appropriate "good guy" long arms, as are Winchester '97 pump guns. I could see opening it up to Ithaca '37s and stuff as well.

-Dave

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
My grandfather lived next to a retired law man from back in the late 30's, early 40's. he showed me his guns once. Started his career with a Colt Singe Action Army in .45, switched to a Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum in the early 40's. He kept a cut down double barrelled shotgun and a Winchester (caliber unknown) in his car. So, a lever gun would not be out of the question.

The real question is how many people would want to be called Elliot Ness?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

in order to allow our friends in the CAS to also shoot, we have a Ranger catagorie, to allow them to use their single actions. Let's face it, the used single actions for quite a while!!! (Even Patton packed a single six!).

We tend to use 4 inch S&W model 10s and snubbies in 38 special, 45's ( I personally use a WWII GI model from Springfield, and a Winchester 97 reproduction) We also stage double barrel scatterguns, pocket pistols and lever guns. I'm also currently working to bring in Blank firing/ auto tommyguns for fun parts of the shoot.

Like CAS we try to stick with pistol caliber. However we have been useing cardboard targets because many of the pistols have a difficulty with lead rounds and it seems just easier and cheaper to buys jacketed rounds and just tape the targets.

Since many of us are LEOs, we commonly include tactical reloads for both pistol and shotgun, the use of cover and most importantly... the proper employment of throw-away guns and back street interroga..... What's that?? Did someone say MAGISTRATE??? as in Judge????:eusa_doh:

What I meant to say was..... we use cover and proper employment of historically correct and socially acceptable law enforcement techniques!!![huh] Yeah! that's it... That's the ticket!!:rolleyes: Just kidding Chris!

Seriously though... we have fun with the whole Hollywood, gangland, Sh-tuff!!

If folks are interested, maybe we can start planning another shoot and weekend gathering for when the weather gets better???

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

in order to allow our friends in the CAS to also shoot, we have a Ranger catagorie, to allow them to use their single actions. Let's face it, the used single actions for quite a while!!! (Even Patton packed a single six!).

We tend to use 4 inch S&W model 10s and snubbies in 38 special, 45's ( I personally use a WWII GI model from Springfield, and a Winchester 97 reproduction) We also stage double barrel scatterguns, pocket pistols and lever guns. I'm also currently working to bring in Blank firing/ auto tommyguns for fun parts of the shoot.

Like CAS we try to stick with pistol caliber. However we have been useing cardboard targets because many of the pistols have a difficulty with lead rounds and it seems just easier and cheaper to buys jacketed rounds and just tape the targets.

Since many of us are LEOs, we commonly include tactical reloads for both pistol and shotgun, the use of cover and most importantly... the proper employment of throw-away guns and back street interroga..... What's that?? Did someone say MAGISTRATE??? as in Judge????:eusa_doh:

What I meant to say was..... we use cover and proper employment of historically correct and socially acceptable law enforcement techniques!!![huh] Yeah! that's it... That's the ticket!!:rolleyes:

Seriously though... we have fun with the whole Hollywood, gangland, Sh-tuff!!

If folks are interested, maybe we can start planning another shoot and weekend gathering for when the weather gets better???

BTW:Hey Dave!

I see you're in the MI area... Are you going to the WWII RETO event in MI??

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Drop guns eh?

Sounds like you might also be running the odd "sap-only stage" with honeydew head simulations... :D

It would be nice to see the "pre-Special" .32's and .38's back in action.

D

DeaconKC

Hey hey Brody, I'm down in Southern Illinois. Get more info to me, because we've got a bunch of LEO's ready to roll down here too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld