Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers Journeyman (Deer)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I admit I'm finally falling for these coats, and this one looks exceptional (pocket flaps, no upper yoke). my draw has been wearability with an untucked shirt, yet practical to sit down in with the front closed. Not possible without serious bunching on a long zip front without an extraordinarily large gap at the hem. Whereas, the button front allows you to unbutton the bottom one or two. Plus I love that casual look.

My problem with them has been shaking the Donnie Brasko stigma. Clearly an over exaggeration by a country mile, but it remains the image I have burned into my judgement. But it's breaking :)

73288355-98D2-4B14-A44D-98700FA11428.jpg

So I'd guess you could call me a convert, and this latest offering in the car coat class appears to be another banger

Get one, Craig, slightly wide, then quickly turn around and sell it (to me :D)

You don't shake the stigma, you "whack" it..

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
Looks like these things are actually sold out already! And while there were pre orders for another run of these due in Autumn, this opportunity was over in April. So while I'm pissed I didn't get one, my bank account is much happier. Damn if it isn't a great jacket though! I hope somebody posts up some pics of this soon.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just don't understand why "they" use things like instagram filters to alter colours in the advertisement? catalogue pic?, sure they are hip and trendy but how are you supposed to know what the leather actually looks like irl

I just don't understand why "they" use things like instagram filters to alter colours in the advertisement? catalogue pic?, sure they are hip and trendy but how are you supposed to know what the leather actually looks like irl

Because with these Japanese brands, all you need to know is that you will be very happy. One million dollar price tag guarantees it.

Superfluous

Because with these Japanese brands, all you need to know is that you will be very happy. One million dollar price tag guarantees it.

Why all the bitter posts and hate directed at Japanese brands? First, RMC, now Freewheelers. If you believe they are not worth the price, don't buy them. No need to repeatedly lambaste these brands.

Superfluous

Tried on the San Mateo at 610 store Ueno. Really nice. Going to Desolation Row tomorrow.

So jealous. My biggest obstacle to purchasing Freewheelers products is the inability to try them on first (and the strict no return policy). If I could swing by a local retailer and try them on, I could get in some real trouble.

Why all the bitter posts and hate directed at Japanese brands? First, RMC, now Freewheelers. If you believe they are not worth the price, don't buy them. No need to repeatedly lambaste these brands.

Super, I'm not lambasting them. I'm pretty sure I never said they're anything short of perfection - even if I have occasionally taken a jab at their prices. Man, I would literally give my kidney to have those five Japanese jackets that I've been drooling over for years and that's five in the least. Like the Twin Peaks jacket Blackadder posted. That's gotta be the coolest jacket I've ever seen. Then there's the padded J-100 from RMC, Beck 666 and a few others. These are all my holy grail jackets and if I ever get enough money, I'll get them all.

TBH, it's not the price tag I have problem with, no. Sure, the realization that I will never be able to afford even one is pissing me off, but that's my problem, not theirs - nor would I ever think of whining about the Japanese brands being overpriced only because I cannot afford to buy 'em. They're top of the line products. I know that. It would literally take an idiot to claim otherwise. They're best of the best! Can't get any better. Finest materials available and man, do you know that these guys managed to bring all the original freaking sewing machinery that was used back then to Japan, just to make those jackets even more authentic? I mean, how cool is that? Who does that? The effort that goes into creating these jackets is worth the price. Considering what sort of fashion crap is being sold at $3000 - 5000 range, or more, RMC more than worth it.

Why am I bitter with the Japanese brands, then? I'll be honest here with you - I love the gear, but the whole hipster image thing they're touting is what I find annoying. They sell complete 50's working man's gear for a price that even Rockefeller would re-consider twice back in the day. I mean, RMC sells prison overalls! For money.
But again, that's my problem with 'em. Everyone's overcharging their hipster clothes and jackets and sure, if someone wants to wear prison overalls what do I care. But I find it all annoying...

And another thing about the LL and RMC line; right now LL doesn't know whether it wants to be a fashion brand or a motorcycle clothing company, and RMC can't think of a single new thing, how deep they've buried themselves in these repros. I think it's time for them to let go of the Buco and do their own thing. They certainly can - Aero's been doing it successfully for decades now - but they flat out refuse to so we get this stagnation and downright silliness like the red Lightning jacket - which had existed for the better part of the 20th century - most people are getting bored with and that's because it's the wrong people they're aiming at to begin with. Fashion people don't care about leather. They don't care about anything. It's all about what's in for this season and another one, all those beautiful jackets are either gonna end up on eBay, or worse...

Big J made a brilliant post about Japanese business sense and why this may be so but I can't find it anymore... Nor Big J. ;_;

Superfluous

^ Thanks for the explanation Monitor. That makes perfect sense and puts your comments in proper perspective. There is no denying that workwear has gained popularity among an element of the hipster crowd, and certain Japanese brands are among the best manufacturers of workwear. That said, workwear remains far behind contemporary styling/brands in the hipster world. Moreover, brands like Freewheelers and Real McCoys remain largely unknown to the hipster community, including workwear hipsters. FW and RMC are esoteric, niche brands patronized primarily by non-hipster denimheads. Workwear hipsters are much more likely to patronize LVC or RRL as opposed to FW and RMC. The quintessential hipster department store -- Barneys -- carries more hipster brands than any other individual store, including hipster workwear, but does not carry RMC or FW. Johnny Depp has been seen many times in LVC, but I don't recall him ever wearing RMC/FW. RRL products regularly appear in movies and television (e.g., Walking Dead) -- I have never seen RMC or FW in movies or television. Like you, I hope that these brands never become mainstream, even in the hipster world. I love it when people ask who made my jacket and, when I tell them, they say "never heard of them."

I guess there's got to be some difference between hipsters here and there. :) Since there is no Barneys anywhere near here, local hipsters have to do their research online and it's mostly RMC they stumble upon. Man, I had no idea, though... Googling RRL Leather jacket brings up some serious hipster-wear. Guy I know had asked me how can I bear having a motorcycle company logo on an otherwise 'very nice' cafe racer jacket, and pointed out a few other inaccuracies like the lack of sleeve zip gussets. I don't mind the logo at all. I really like it so it never really occurred to me that it might detract from the jacket.

They really wear RRL in Walking Dead? What sort of pieces? I don't watch that many shows... Last I've noticed is that many movie characters wear Belstaff jackets, and even a few random characters in a few random shows would wear that jacket from War of the Worlds. But that was years ago so I reckon things must've changed since then.

Johnny Depp I have however seen in some really old jackets on top of even older looking suits. That's RRL? Makes sense... It was kind of clownish altogether.

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Monitor, Depp have some original vintage jackets, not only leather. In fact he wears a lot of original vintage clothing (his glasses for instance are Tart Arnel, and he have several pairs), but he combines it with contemporary brands. He wears t-shirts and jeans by RRL, the 30s Menlo leather Jacket by LVC, Mr Freedom Waistcoats and shirts...

Walking dead uses a lot of Ralph Lauren, a couple of leather jackets and some RRL shirts wore by Rick, Glenn... I believe some Maggies t-shists are from RRL also! Too bad they are always covered in blood to appreciate as it deserves.

willyto

One Too Many
There is a famous singer here in Spain called Mikel Erentxun that wears Aero Leather, Buco(RMC), Freewheelers... and also buys boots with Cats Paw heels and a lot of the japanese stuff. He says in many videos and interviews that he is addicted to leather jackets and that he is not the only one out there that there is a lot of people out there devoted to this religion .

Mikel Erentxun Instagram

If you look trough his pictures you can find pictures in the store of Freewheelers in Japan and with Aero Leather. It's nice to see someone that has the wealth necessary to appreaciate the good stuff.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
that is one incredible leather texture, but with all these less common hides.... what do they do with the rest of the animal? would be sad if they just kill these animals only for their leather

Jaime

One of the Regulars
There is a famous singer here in Spain called Mikel Erentxun that wears Aero Leather, Buco(RMC), Freewheelers... and also buys boots with Cats Paw heels and a lot of the japanese stuff. He says in many videos and interviews that he is addicted to leather jackets and that he is not the only one out there that there is a lot of people out there devoted to this religion .

Mikel Erentxun Instagram

If you look trough his pictures you can find pictures in the store of Freewheelers in Japan and with Aero Leather. It's nice to see someone that has the wealth necessary to appreaciate the good stuff.

Thats correct! Im not a big fan of his music (despite I enjoy some) but a big one of his taste in leather! He seems to be a great guy too.

Some really cool pieces that guy has... Black and white J-100 is so cool.

Man, to this day I don't understand what's so addictive about these things. Why do I love jackets? Is it role models? Movies? What? I mean, I'm an extremely unpleasant to look at so I have no reason to think leather jackets can and will have any particular effect on that, but even so I still love to wear 'em and I still feel cool whenever I have them on. I just don't get it... But it's a religion alright. Good leather jacket and a pair of decent shoes; what else could you possibly want from life?

Back on topic, though - This Freewheelers is a very nice, unpretentious design. Love it, but I find this leather too grainy for my taste. Would be awesome in bovine or equine.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
that is one incredible leather texture, but with all these less common hides.... what do they do with the rest of the animal? would be sad if they just kill these animals only for their leather

Venison (deer) is delicious. I doubt these animals were killed only for their hides.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
looks sick! I'd probably still go for the Himel Canuck if I was going for a long leather jacket.

I hope to see more pictures of it, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe