Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free, Fair and Open Elections

Woul You Fix An Election?

• Never,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• It Depends...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well in 1960 the Daley cronies were actually endicted and went to jail. No endictments were brought in Florida so technically no crime was commited:) I guess that means the the republican crooks were craftier than the democratic crooks on those comparable occassions.lol Ah, the tangled webs...:eek:

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
MK said:
That is the first thing you have said on this page that is worth reading. Please refrain from the long list of quotes followed by "prove it".

I understood he was only showing that the same posters who challenged other people's narration and asked them for proofs were telling stories without a factual basis themselves. Looks fair, and Katt in Hat didn't even start it.

Strider

One of the Regulars
You know, I posted a perfectly valid point on this thread pages ago, and no one's said anything on it. I wonder what the consensus is.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I understood he was only showing that the same posters who challenged other people's narration and asked them for proofs were telling stories without a factual basis themselves. Looks fair, and Katt in Hat didn't even start it.

I understand the point he was trying to make. I don't want someone taking an entire page of a thread to express it. You just accomplished it in a short paragraph.

Roger

A-List Customer
Well if Kat in Hat wants a poster to "prove" his point, why doesn't he come up with valid proof refuting it?:eusa_doh: Why should everyone here have to "prove" their point? Let those who are sceptic refute the point made. Seems that the opposing view is baseless if he can't come up with valid arguments

airfrogusmc said:
lol lol lol lol lol lol

By the way, while you are laughing, your quote is actually attributed to the wrong man. Cicero said that in Rome hundreds of years before Kennedy and it is easily proven. :p Kennedy always tried to capitalize on Cicero but he did not have the delivery nor was he using the language it was originally written in (too many pronouns and prepositions in the English Translation). Latin made Cicero sound more rhythmic and the delivery was likely spectacular.
Cicero was trying to save a Republic single- handedly. Kennedy was trying to get elected. [huh]

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Please elaborate on any counter arguments to my comments. I stand by them. Since this is a thread about "fixing" an election then a perfect example is Nixon/Kennedy 1960. :D

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
I too, have that some queasy feeling as do you.

Terry Lennox said:
There you go again was used in Roman times? Wow the stuff you learn here.

Why did this Cicero use it and in what context?

I had thunk that the line or a slight variant thereof; "There he goes again." was uttered by Ronald Reagen during a pre-election debate.

Boy, are my politics red...; er, my face is...:eek:

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Found at Alibris Books Site

There He Goes Again : Ronald Reagan's Reign of Error
1983 -(8th Paperback Edition)
by Green, Mark & Maccoll, Gail

And from Wikipedia, these quotes; "Reagan's showing in the televised debates boosted his campaign. He seemed more at ease, deflecting President Carter's criticisms with remarks like "There you go again." His most influential remark was a closing question to the audience, during a time of skyrocketing prices and high interest rates, "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
:drum: :deadhorse :drum:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Katt in Hat said:
There He Goes Again : Ronald Reagan's Reign of Error
1983 -(8th Paperback Edition)
by Green, Mark & Maccoll, Gail

And from Wikipedia, these quotes; "Reagan's showing in the televised debates boosted his campaign. He seemed more at ease, deflecting President Carter's criticisms with remarks like "There you go again." His most influential remark was a closing question to the audience, during a time of skyrocketing prices and high interest rates, "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"
:drum: :deadhorse :drum:

And what does this have to do with "fixing" elections?lol

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There they go again, but what do THEY know.....

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyid=2006-09-18T150104Z_01_L18839909_RTRUKOC_0_US-POLAND-REAGAN.xml&rpc=92

WARSAW (Reuters) - Polish admirers of Ronald Reagan plan to raise a statue of the former U.S president in Warsaw, where he is revered for his role in the downfall of communism in Europe.

The 3.5-meter (3.8-yard) stone-and-bronze statue will stand across from the U.S. Embassy, the head of the group raising money for the memorial said on Monday. The group includes Poles living in Poland, Canada and the United States.

"Reagan was the person who defeated the communists and opened the way for freedom in Poland," Janusz Dorosiewicz said. "The statue is a way for his legacy to live on."

Many Poles credit staunch anti-communist Reagan with helping the anti-communist movement in eastern Europe. In 1989, Poland became the first country in the region to shake off communism.

The group plans to unveil the Reagan statue on in 2007 on July 4 -- the U.S. Independence Day.
Oh, on topic because he helped get them free and fair elections.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Please elaborate on any counter arguments to my comments. I stand by them. Since this is a thread about "fixing" an election then a perfect example is Nixon/Kennedy 1960. :D

And Bush/Gore wasn't? I respectfully disagree. I am increasingly convinced that Katherine Harris would have been capable of doing just about anything to prevent a Gore victory in Florida. No proof, just personal opinion.

It does my confidence no good to know that the outcome of the 2000 Florida election was in the hands of a person who told a religious journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and God and the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld