Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

J.W.

A-List Customer
Any suggestions for an ink that is good for use in a piston/fountain pen, to be used in a travel journal? I guess sth. like the bulletproof or permanent inks would be a good choice for that, just in case the journal get wet, right?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
JW, I make continual notes in my job, and have had my pages get wet on occasion and almost all will smudge unless you go with something like Noodler's bulletproof inks. Also, the newer Moleskine journals are not very friendly to most FP inks. The Gold Line journals from Staples work well.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If you want a PERMANENT ink, you want Noodler's Bulletproof Black. But be warned that when they say permanent, they MEAN PERMANENT. It will NOT EVER wash out of your clothes. So be careful with it in that regard.

Otherwise, it's perfect.

J.W.

A-List Customer
I think I'll have to do some testing with different inks. I have come to like the idea of writing my travel journals with pen and ink, but as the journals might get wet by rain or the occasional accident with a water bottle, I might stay with a biro after all. At least that can still be read, once the pages have dried again.

Some journals like the Moleskine ones don't take a heavy / dark ink very well there is read thru on the other side of the page. Pencil will work well. Maybe one of those Fisher Space pens.

Last edited:

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Recommend you try the new Noodler's Elysium as well; a vibrant blue that is permanent as well...

M.

eeeorr

New in Town
The paper is as important as the ink I've found. Claire Fontaine, if I'm spelling it right, makes all sizes of notepads etc., and my medium point fountain pens don't bleed thru.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe