Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fossil Hug

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
2007_02_06t141048_450x369_us_italy_embrace.jpg
_42549941_long_body_ap.jpg

REUTERS

A pair of human skeletons lie in an eternal embrace at an Neolithic archaeological dig site near Mantova, Italy, in this photo released February 6, 2007. (Enrico Pajello/Handout/Reuters)

full story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070206/sc_nm/italy_embrace_dc

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
K.D. Lightner said:
If I were teaching a creative writing class, I'd give them the assignment to create a short story about them.

karol

Perhaps you should start. You have their first assignment. :D

I am looking forward to reading of their age and how long they have been there

Mr. Bern should be a newspaper journalist. But then he'd have to write his own stories instead of showing other stories to read. lol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
So far, they are saying the couple (they believe it to be a man and a woman) are Neolithic, probably 5 to 6 thousands years old, and they are young, they have most or all of their teeth.

Hey, maybe I don't have to write about them. I think Shakespeare beat me to it!

karol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Emmababy said:
dat ain't no fossil, they have to be at least 10,000 years old

( i'm a geology geek :eek: )

Interesting point.
Yet Wikipedia indicates there is no minimum age for a fossil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil

"Using radiometric dating techniques, geologists have determined most fossils to be several thousands to several billions of years old. Yet there is no minimum age for a fossil"

Phil

A-List Customer
K.D. Lightner said:
Phil: Wow, comparative literature -- A neolithic Romeo and Juliet.

karol

That's pretty much what I was going to go for. I'm assuming because it's so close to Valentine's Day that I should probably make it a love story. I was going to make it something actiony like a spy couple was caught and tied together and thrown into a lake or something like that. Not so much because I think that's what happened, but more because I never really liked to follow the crowd mentality.

I also wonder when this was actually found. They probably found it way earlier but held the discovery for mid Feb.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
MrBern told me about this! Personally, I can't help but wonder why they were clutching each other (probably in terror!) in the moments leading up to their deaths. It must have been something terrifying. Like Pompeii.

I gather it was a sudden death situation. There are all kinds of possibilities. Natural disaster? Execution? I hope someone follows up on this. Very curious indeed.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I heard this story on NPR on Saturday (2/10) it made me get a little misty I have to admit. They said that after the scientist were finished with the testing these two were going to be put back together (so to speak). I guess I am an old softy, but I thought it was sweet...even if it was a disaster, plague or mass suicide, the two met their end together, and that is how they have and will remain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe