Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For over $1000 I want the jacket I want! (Aero HWM)

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
I must admit I am confused by this now. The thread header suggests Aero made the wrong size.

But it is just the wrong size off Ebay?
The jacket is the right size, I have a 46" chest. My current HWM is a stock size 46. It fits my shoulders but is too big around middle. I'm in the process of ordering a new HWN in brown and I want them to make it custom fit so the bottom fits my body better. I'm don't expect it to fit like a cafe racer, I'm fine w/the style, I love the style and look, I just want it to be more tapered. I've seen HWM on smaller guys, like 38" and the body fits nice and trim. The fact that I have broader shoulders shouldn't mean I have to have a huge body on the jacket. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see what the new styles are. I understand that Aero wants to be historically correct, and they certainly don't need the business, but like I said, right or wrong, I just want what I want, and for the cost that should be ok...IMO.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Aeromariner, pictured elsewhere on the Lounge today, is kind of a HWM fit but according to MM a bit slimmer, which is what you seem to be looking for.

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
For over $1000 dollars I want the jacket I want, I want it next week.

Hell, I guess customer service just aint what it used to be!

I wouldn't recommend sizing down Joe. If you don't like the fit in your own size I say (based on my experiences) you're better off switching models
I'm going to start shopping around. I really do like Aero, I get fixated on certain Brands, then the OCD kicks in and I have very little control.;)

Seems to me all you need to do is tell/ask Aero what you would like and see what they say. In the end, some styles don't work well tapered. I get your dilemma as I have it myself, so if they can't/won't, look elsewhere or for another style...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The Aeromariner, pictured elsewhere on the Lounge today, is kind of a HWM fit but according to MM a bit slimmer, which is what you seem to be looking for.

Nah, none you you guys need to order an Aeromarine (until I get my order placed) ;) Sloan, that includes you too. :D

4spurs

One of the Regulars
I'd take a look at Johnson Leathers out of San Francisco. They have a jacket that might work for you for $480 http://www.johnsonleather.com/m-200.htm

It's a motorcycle jacket which means that it is tapered around the middle. I bought one recently off ebay and I am very satisfied with the fit and the quality of the workmanship, and like you I have broad shoulders and a small waist.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alexander Leathers Highwayman version/copy/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, the Roadster is supposed to be a slimmer more modern fit of the Aero version.

I've just ordered one in the Jerky HH, I'll post pics when I get it. The timeframe is only about 2 weeks apparently :D

majormajor

One Too Many
Alexander Leathers Highwayman version/copy/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, the Roadster is supposed to be a slimmer more modern fit of the Aero version.

It's not "slimmer" as such. Or "modern". It is simply one size smaller...........

Not exactly revolutionary.....

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
+1 that was my confusion at first too, but I reread the thread and I am now thinking he's trying to order a slimmer version of the stock 46 that is pictured (that was purchased for a song off of eBay). Do I have that right,1averagejoe?

IMO you should either size down (to a 44 or possibly lower) and get some extra length in sleeves and body, or go for a half belt. The false "halfbelt" in the back is what makes it the trimmer fit
Yes you are correct, maybe size down, that's what Holly said also but my chest measures 46" when relaxed so I was worried it may not work.

Yes you are correct, maybe size down, that's what Holly said also but my chest measures 46" when relaxed so I was worried it may not work.
Let me ask this - do you zip up the jacket often? Sometimes? Never?If one of the latter, you might be OK, but if it's too tight, it will suck zipped...just a thought.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

My recommendation: a six-pack of Heineken (not light) per day so that in a few weeks' time you can loosen the bottom straps on your HWM and fill out the jacket with your markedly increased midriff. :D :pound: On a more serious note, sizing down could possibly create binding in your chest and shoulders. My advice would be to cinch down the bottom straps and just forget about any perceived excess of material. As time passes, you really might find that your midriff does expand to eliminate the excess. :eeek:

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face

I've just ordered one in the Jerky HH, I'll post pics when I get it. The timeframe is only about 2 weeks apparently :D
THANK YOU BUDDY! I've never seen that site before. They've got many different HWM styles in various colors. The Brown Horsehide "Nebraska" was only 300 pounds so less than half. I can get that one and the 20's Half belt they have as long as it's nice. Very cool, thank you.

My recommendation: a six-pack of Heineken (not light) per day so that in a few weeks' time you can loosen the bottom straps on your HWM and fill out the jacket with your markedly increased midriff. :D :pound: On a more serious note, sizing down could possibly create binding in your chest and shoulders. My advice would be to cinch down the bottom straps and just forget about any perceived excess of material. As time passes, you really might find that your midriff does expand to eliminate the excess. :eeek:
And they call ME the "enabler"??? Dang Fanch... :p

pauleway

Practically Family
The jacket is the right size, I have a 46" chest. My current HWM is a stock size 46. It fits my shoulders but is too big around middle. I'm in the process of ordering a new HWN in brown and I want them to make it custom fit so the bottom fits my body better. I'm don't expect it to fit like a cafe racer, I'm fine w/the style, I love the style and look, I just want it to be more tapered. I've seen HWM on smaller guys, like 38" and the body fits nice and trim. The fact that I have broader shoulders shouldn't mean I have to have a huge body on the jacket. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see what the new styles are. I understand that Aero wants to be historically correct, and they certainly don't need the business, but like I said, right or wrong, I just want what I want, and for the cost that should be ok...IMO.

I just tried to put an order in to Thurston/Insurrection for a HB with a Bi-Swing back and Wade told me Aero would not do it. Suggested I pick another style like the LHB that has a Bi-swing, but I knew what I wanted, and how I wanted it to fit and look, so I just decided not to order the jacket. Like you say, for the money you are spending, you should be able to get what you want, with a few small tweeks, or just not spend that kind of money, especially if you have a few nice jackets in your closet already!!:cool::p

bretron

Call Me a Cab

Aeros are notoriously big in the chest, and the HWM is notoriously boxy in the torso. As a 46" true chest id think a jacket pit to pit measurement of approx 25" would be perfect, which would approximate an Aero 44. Tag sizes are meaningless; it's all about the actual measurements

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Why don't you loosen the side straps to the half way mark or so. It will mean that your jacket will be looser than otherwise around the waist -BUT- it will also stop the side panels from bunching which is 75% of what your problem seems to be.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Why don't you loosen the side straps to the half way mark or so. It will mean that your jacket will be looser than otherwise around the waist -BUT- it will also stop the side panels from bunching which is 75% of what your problem seems to be.

I suspect that if the side straps are too snug, excessive wear could occur to the lining underneath the buckles from rubbing against the belt. For that reason alone I set my side straps at the half way mark as Highwaymanman mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82