Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Good Luck in the New Year, Eat _______

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In my area, it's pork and sauerkraut that is supposed to bring luck in the coming year when eaten for New Year's. I believe in New England, it is salmon and peas.

So what about your neck of the woods?

Naama

Practically Family
A little late.... ;) But anyway.... Over here it's fish, it's hard to explain that in english, but they are rolled and come in some vinegare thing.... [huh] but I don't eat meat, so no luck for me ?

Naama

Buck

New in Town
Hoppinjohn

I was born and raised in Georgia, but both my parents were from South Carolina. My mother always made black-eyed peas mixed with white rice. It's called "Hoppinjohn."

Rosie

One Too Many
In my family, Dad was directly from South Carolina, mom's parents where from S.C., it's Black Eyed Peas for health and collard greens for wealth, cornbread for a home and turkey necks for food. There's some other stuff for a new job, new baby, etc. but I'd have to ask my mom.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Buck said:
I was born and raised in Georgia, but both my parents were from South Carolina. My mother always made black-eyed peas mixed with white rice. It's called "Hoppinjohn."
:eek:fftopic: Sorry to go off topic here, but I noticed you are from Freeport. That's one of my favorite places, and I go up there for day trips often. I live in Boston, so it's quite an easy jaunt. Must be so nice to live so close to LLBean. Oh, and the Harraseeket Inn, I just love that place!
Welcome to the lounge. I hope you enjoy yourself! I will have to let you know the next time I take a trip up your way.

As for new years food. I really don't know what it is that brings luck. I know that for the Jewish New Year in the fall, we eat apples and honey for luck and prosperity. I guess I could do that today.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
In Iowa, when I was growing up, it was always cabbage. If you ate cabbage (cooked or raw) on New Year's Day, you would be prosperous.

I am having a salad for dinner tonight.

karol

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

We always have black eyed peas and fried collard greens. I missed dinner today, but I have a plate for supper in the fridge.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Plenty but...

There are lots of food in Japan associated with good luck, whether for New Year or for other celebrations. I could write a cook book if I started to make a list, but the New Year table is never complete without this item.
07zouni2CW.jpg
07zounimiso003CW.jpg

Zouni--mixed soup. The soup broth and ingredients differ with regions--clear soup as on the left, or white miso soup on the right, but the one thing in common is that mochi (rice cake) is included, though there is a difference even here, as some areas use square cut mochi, while others use round mochi. Square mochi are avoided in some areas becuase "corners are abrasive", and smooth situations are preferred.

The cut of some of the veggies are also a common factor. They are cut fan shaped--suehiro--for good luck, meaning increasing prosperity, starting small but getting bigger with time.

The carrots for red color and daikon (Japanese radish) for white, red and white being celebratory color combinations here. Green represents evergreens, which is another color associated with prosperity.

I make the clear soup on Jan 1, as this is the traditional zouni of the Kanto and Tokyo area, and the white miso soup on Jan 2 for my DH who grew up with white miso zouni.

Incidentally, the letter on the chopstick cover is "Kotobuki" meaning celebration.

The small sake goblet on the left tray is for toso (mirin--sweetened sake--spiced with toso herb) also for long and prosperous life, served throughout Japan on New Year's Day.
:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe