Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods that shouldn't be allowed in your house because you will eat it all

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Fresh tortillas! Mmm...warm, soft and fluffy. I love being a New Mexican.

I also have a thing for homemade tortilla chips. I fry them in olive oil, and dip them in fresh mango salsa...oh my goodnessssss.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Not really a food, but I can't keep diet cola in my house to save my soul. I am such a caffiene addict. I just bought a cube of diet pepsi the day before yester day and the top layer is gone....bad bad bad Faythe. I've gotten to the point that I will at least wait 2-3 days in between buying new soda and only get a small bottle during the day, but if its in the house I chug those darn things like crazy.....sigh.
And what should not be allowed in the house is fresh bread, fresh french bread, fresh sheperds bread, any fresh bread, I just love LOVE fresh bread. The smelll beacons mee, it calls my name....it teases me. :p

S

Samsa

1. Chocolate.
2. Cookies.
3. Cake.
4. Actually, pretty much any dessert.
5. Pop.
6. Beer. It's alarming how quickly I can manage to get through a 30 pack of Miller High Life.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
I sure have many vices, but overconsumption isn't one of them (unless you count caffeine). The only thing which disappears without a trace when I'm around are cashew nuts, if I had cheek pouches I'd keep some in there all the time.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
  • Cake/cupcakes. (I have a mix sitting in the pantry with the frosting next to it... but won't make it because I'll eat it. What was I thinking when I bought it??)
  • Chips. (Especially the Cheetos Twists. I don't like regular Cheetos. The texture to me is yukky. But Twists?? I can't stop.)
  • Fresh pineapple/cantalope. Mmmmm. I won't feel guilty about that. :D

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Anyone ever had those Hawaiian Salt & Vinegar Chips from Trader Joe's?

It's a good thing they tear up my mouth because I've come close to eating an entire bag in one sitting. :D

Novella

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
There's a cookie shop a few blocks from my apartment that makes heavenly cookies, so I bought 6 today, hoping they would last the whole weekend. I ended up eating 5 today! And they are BIG! God help me.

I do the same thing! Just today I bought three macaroons and a giant lavender meringue from a bakery. Suppose to last me at least two days - but they might not keep overnight so I *had* to eat them all today.

Plain digestives and Hobnobs are my weaknesses. So much so that I'm having to go back to the U.S. to get away from them! :p

Kimberly

Practically Family
Novella said:
I do the same thing! Just today I bought three macaroons and a giant lavender meringue from a bakery. Suppose to last me at least two days - but they might not keep overnight so I *had* to eat them all today.

Plain digestives and Hobnobs are my weaknesses. So much so that I'm having to go back to the U.S. to get away from them! :p

Lavender meringue. I have never heard of such a thing and now my curiousity has taken over. What does it taste like? I bet it is so yummy!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pigeon toe said:
I am the WORST at portion control when it comes to snacking. Especially when it comes to chocolate and sweets. There's a cookie shop a few blocks from my apartment that makes heavenly cookies, so I bought 6 today, hoping they would last the whole weekend. I ended up eating 5 today! And they are BIG! God help me.

I'm the same way, terrible with portion control. There is a bakery in the Prudential Center in Boston that has the best homemade cookies. I'm partial to the white chocolate and macadamia nut. They are warm and gooey and so good. I went to order 3, but the lady convinced me to buy 6, so I could get another 6 free. So instead of 3 cookies I went home with a dozen. They were gone in 3 days, that's 4 pretty big cookies a day:eek:
I was there this week with Hemingway Jones, and thank goodness he prevented me from buying any. I said I promised to just get 1, he knew this was a lie and wouldn't let me get any. I'm grateful to him for that.

One thing I have discovered are the Nabisco 100 calorie packs. They have everything from Oreo's to cupcakes, even coming out with miniature twinkie like things. These are great because I can eat the whole pack and not feel too guilty about it. At BJ's they sell big boxes of multi packs. This can be dangerous because I could eat more than one package. But, I carefully choose which snack it is I want and I stick with it and just have the one small package. They're pretty satisfying.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
For me it's cheese doodles (or should I say cheez doodlz). Particularly the Bachman's brand which have a very strong fake cheese taste--with some brands you taste more doodle than cheese, if you know what I mean. I buy a bag maybe once a year.

Girl scout cookies too--Samoas and Thin Mints particularly. I did a one year MBA program at a women's college and one of my fellow students daughters cleaned up on a bunch of stressed out women! The cookies were delivered to one of our classrooms and we went through boxes and boxes of them while taking lecture notes. One of my favorite grad school memories, that.

Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia yogurt is pretty dangeous too, but at least it's just yogurt (that's what I tell myself anyhow!).

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Hungry Al's BBQ in West Covina

Hungry Al's BBQ! It's a local shop that serves Louisiana style ribs, chicken, hot links, collard greens, sweet potato pie, sock-it-to-me chocolate cake . . . I could go on, but I'd make myself hungry and I'll go there instead of to John in Covina's BBQ this afternoon.

Just kidding, John! :D

I go there for a lunch that I know is too big, vowing that I'll only eat half and save the rest for later. Never works! I also don't go very often, because I don't want to tire of it. So, once every month or so, I'll treat myself.

I try to take someone new each time I go. I took my grandmother there in the mid '90s. I ordered mild sauce for her and hot for me. I accidently swapped them when we got home. . . . I think that's what killed her. :D (Just kidding. She died a few years later at the age of 81.)

Took a friend there after fixing the brakes on his car. He said his wife was going to make dinner for me as payment. I said, "No. Let's got to Hungry Al's." Al asked him, "Hot or mild sauce?" Jim looked at me and I said, "How much do you love your kids, Jim?" He ordered hot for the adults and mild for the kids.

Also milk. I could drink a gallon in two days. One day if I tried. :D

Lee

"'Almost Home' cookies. That's a good name for them, because that's about as far as they get with me!" - John Pinette

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
And icing. I'll eat icing straight from the container :eek:

Peeps, too. Oh how I love the Peep.

I eat icing out of the container, too.

Ever had toasted Peeps? Put 'em on a stick and shove them into the fireplace. It's like eating gourmet toasted mashmallows. :D

Lee

"Never mind, dear, we're all made the same, though some more than others." - Noel Coward

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
dnjan said:
Potato chips. Just plain potato chips.

One time at Costco, I casually mentioned to my wife "Oh look - they carry the single-serving size!" She went into a rant about all the wasted packaging, etc., until I interrupted her and explained that I ws referring to the 3-lb bag.

Don! I laughed 'till I cried! lol :D

Lee

“Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's compounding a felony.” - Robert Benchley

Novella

Practically Family
Kimberly said:
Lavender meringue. I have never heard of such a thing and now my curiousity has taken over. What does it taste like? I bet it is so yummy!

It was pretty good, but not great. It was a very subtle flavor, mostly just sweet, with a hint of floral. The color was exciting though - bright purple! For delicious lavender flavor you should try Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf's lavender mint tea latte. It was a limited edition type of flavor, but I heard that they're bringing it back due to popular demand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82