Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Food and Wine Pairings - Making Magic Happen

Many people when dining out will opt for a fine wine to add to their dining experience and find the the wine goes well with the food and possibly the food changes their appreciation of the wine.

Have any fellow Loungers had an opportunity to experience a special food & wine pairing at a restaurant where each of the different courses have been paired to a glass of a specific wine?

I have had a one of these dinners at Piero Salvaggeo's Valentino in the Venetian in Las Vegas that was an eye opener. In one instance they brought out a Pinot Noir that was one simply not to my tastes and several others comment as to it seem not up to the standards of the previous wines. The wine steward immediately said that they would replace the wine if after having tried the duck pate plate and then tasted the wine we felt it wasn't right. Just a few minutes later the duck plate came out and we sampled it and sipped the wine - it was inconceivable how different and improved the Pinot was after the duck pate. I can only say that it was as if a magic wand had been waved transforming the wine in the glass to something so different that we could hardly describe our astonishment. It was a truly eye opening experience.

If you haven't had a revelation like that then please write about some of your favorite food and wine pairings.

Last edited:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Some of the best I have ever had:

Chateau d'Yquem with tarte tatin - the buttery, not-too-sweet apples showed the fragrance of the wine and the unexpectedly dry finish
Sauternes (a lesser one) with an orange dessert - the dessert brought out unexpected citrus notes in the wine
A smoked duck dish with a very unusual pinot noir - by itself the wine was not to my taste, it was very tobacco-y, but with the duck it was perfect. Beyond the usual "duck & pinot" pairing, it showed real respect for the individual characteristics of the dish and the wine.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've been trying to pair up wines with my food, but haven't hit it off just yet.
I've tried Malbecs, Pinots, and Chiantis.
For the past 2 months I've been into M Chapoutier(?) Bellarouche Grenache(60%) and Syrah(40%).
Tonight it's going with Roast, so I'll see how that works.
It doesn't go well with Tacos, but since my wife wants Mexican 2x a week, I have no choice. :)
This is one thread I'll keep up with, to see everyone's suggestions.

It doesn't go well with Tacos, but since my wife wants Mexican 2x a week, I have no choice. :) This is one thread I'll keep up with, to see everyone's suggestions.

Spicy foods seem to call for wine that can stand up to the heat. I'd say try a Rosemont Estates Shiraz or maybe a deep red Zinfandel like something from Seghisio or Rosenblum.

rue

I'm not a wine snob, but I know what I like........

My favorites for dinner:

Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Beaucastel

Stag's Leap- the Chardonnay or Merlot

Far Niente- the Chardonnay or Merlot

Clos du Bois Chardonnay

For dessert:
Far Niente Dolce

If none of the above are available, then I ask for a recommendation that would be the equivalent. I don't do the whole red with meat or white with fish thing, I order what suits my mood and I never send a bottle back unless it smells like vinegar, which I've had happen, but not often [huh]

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Dessert and dessert wines can be tricky often a bit one dimensional on the sweetness side. Sounds like you had some great pairings.

The art is to have a dessert that is less sweet than the wine. Very sweet desserts make dessert wines taste thin.

Some other brilliant pairings: eccles cakes & wensleydale cheese with liqueur muscat, asti spumante with lightly sweetened pannacotta.

I like beer with tacos...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
That's the first time I've been called a snob in a long time. :)
Okay I admit, I don't drink any wine under $10 dollars. I have my standards you know...
I also have one of those battery operated de-corker if you call it that. Put out by Emerson.
Best $20 dollars I ever spent.
John I'll try that out this week.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
This pasta
IMG_8942.jpg

With this wine (vino nero or vin ruche depending on who you talk to and how much they are using dialect. I believe it is a primitivo pugliese)
IMG_8874.jpg

Which came out of this
IMG_8924.jpg

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
Alcohol enthusiasts love invoking the health benefits of red wine to quell their guilt as they order a second bottle of Malbec with dinner. And now they have another factoid to cite while they argue the drink's healthfulness. Researchers have found that a much-heralded ingredient in the libation, resveratrol, reduces the negative effects astronauts face when in the weightlessness of space. But it's not just good news for space travelers: "The study also suggested that resveratrol may be able to prevent the deleterious consequences of sedentary behaviours in humans," reports the Daily Mail.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/07/there-anything-red-wine-cant-do/40104/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld