Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flip flops in the white house.

Feraud

Bartender
FlapperRen said:
Well apparently I am outnumbered here. What a bunch of Snobs-
Please do not take it like that! This is not about being 'outnumbered' or 'snobbery'!
This discussion(and that is what it is) is about the proper place of flip-flops in society. No one should say they are never appropriate but at what particular place and time! It should not be such a difficult concept to understand. One should not meet the President in flip-flops, jeans, t-shirts, etc.
There is nothing wrong with learning from the experience of those who have lived through the various incarnations of "Fashion". I am not one to bring up age, but since you did I will comment. Perhaps the arrogance of youth is blinding your judgement? It happens to all of us. :)

jake431

Practically Family
FlapperRen said:

You are outnumbered, but don't take it personally. Hell, I didn't and never would vote for Bush, but if I were invited to meet him you can be damn sure I'd have on a suit and NO flip flops. The office of the President of the United States is one to be respected.

Flip flops are fine for many things. So are blue jeans, gym shoes, t-shirts, etc. But just like most people can't wear them to work beause there is a dress code, I think it is reasonable to think there is a dress code when you go and see the President.

I'm not surprised though - we live in a countrywhere at least half the citizens don't respect the institutions of Democracy enough to go and vote in elections- why should we show surprise when they don't respect the institutions they'd be voting for?

-Jake

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Flapper, it is not about snobbery, what I detect is more of a generation gap in the concept of what fashion is, and how to apply it to the TPO, in terms of manners and etiquette.
After all, it is as much about how to be regarded with respect, as to show respect to others-- your host, your elders--and the occasion.
Dress codes may seem meaningless to some, but it serves as a guidline when people of different generations and different backgrounds meet, when you are not sure where you stand, and not end up feeling embarrassed that you have embarrased someone else.
Your clothes do not have to be expensive, it doesn't have to be trendy, all it has to be is something that makes you look clean and tidy and respectable and fit the TPO.

I went out for some casual shopping with my daughter the other day, she in a hmmm, bohemian look and flip flops, me in jeans, cotton knit print shirt, and sneakers. I don't give a hoot if she wears flip flops to Disneyland or to meet friends for some fun or whatever. She is quite welcome to dress according to her peer code when it's just friends, so long as she understands and knows how to dress respectably when the occasion calls for it.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am looking at the photo posted and I am seeing the following gals in the front row wearing:

flip-flops definitely/low heels/shoes of some sort, can't make them out/sandals,those are not ff's/sandals/flip flops/beige flats that match her outfit/low-heeled shoes.

So, two wearers of flip-flops and a lot of flimsy looking shoe-sandals. Of course, we don't know what the women in the back rows were wearing, maybe some sneakers and combat boots, maybe more flip-flops.

Much ado about nothing.....

karol

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Another take on it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/21/AR2005072102347.html
Quote from article:
"The clothes also reflect a bit of the aesthetic havoc that often occurs when people visit the White House. (What should I wear? How do I look? Take my picture!) The usual advice is to dress appropriately. In this case, an addendum would have been helpful: Please select all attire from the commonly accepted styles of this century. (And someone should have given notice to the flip-flop-wearing women of Northwestern University's lacrosse team, who visited the White House on July 12 for a meet-and-greet with the president: proper footwear required. Flip-flops, modeled after shoes meant to be worn into a public shower or on the beach, have no business anywhere in the vicinity of the president and his place of residence.)"

I disagree with the rest of article slamming the new Supreme Court Nominees family for the way they dressed for the announcement!
Dusty

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Biltmore Bob said:
The Pres. probably doesn't care either.

Not this president anyway. I am not sure Bush would know what to wear if someone didn't tell him.

Then of course it could be worse. It could be Jimmy Carter...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
FlapperRen said:
I understand where you come from, though I think uncalled for. A difference of opinion is a difference of opinion.

Any invite to the White House is a great situation. It is a public house of the people and I can see that as an arguement for going as you please, you will notice that they were not shunned for wearing flip flops... I'm sure men could wear shorts to the White House and not be sent away, though I believe that we need to reestablish some sets of decorum that used to exist. I'm pretty sure these ladies are old enough to know that it is respectful to dress up for certain occasions, and I am sure they know that flip flops are fun and frolic wear and not formal. I can accept them wearing flip flops to a formal event when they are unaware that it is formal, though knowingly wearing flip flops to a formal event is a laxidasical attitude toward the idea of respect. When I am in Japan I take off my shoes before enter a friends house and if I go to the white house I pull out the dress shoes and put away the flip flops and Hawaiian shirt.

swinggal

One Too Many
Flip flops...hehe. They've always been called thongs in Australia and still are. Flip flops is a very english description. And just for the record, I only wear thongs to the beach in my garden. I'm not a big fan of shoes that show toes, never have been. A hint of toe is fine (like a wedgie) but a whole foot I dont like.

I don't call thongs with a bit of a kitten heel flip-flops though. That is a little more formal.

But no, I wouldn't wear them to any formal occassion. I suppose, growing up in Australia, everyone wears thongs as a kid. It's just our way of life as we are a very out-doorsy nation, thats why I always see thongs as a casual beach shoe.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
FlapperRen said:

If manners, good taste, common sense, an expectation of mutual respect and civility are the bench marks of snobbery, then I stand guilty as charged. Your comments - and the way you present them - are exactly why people like me think that many in your generation are in the dark.

While I respect a healthy difference of opinion, you may find a more receptive audience for your ideas about "fashion" elsewhere.

Doe Peterson

New in Town
fifi said:
What has this world come to?! Then again, in L.A. many people can't even be bothered to change out of their jammies and brush their hair before going to a restaurant. I wouldn't be caught dead in flip-flops...I think they're horrible looking. Maybe we should send condolences to the poor mothers who had to be saddled with such uncouth daughters.

You all sound like my husband and I when we go out (we also live in L.A.)! I do agree with your sentiments about flip-flops, but what is just ridiculous is the pajama craze! To go to a restaurant, as Fifi said, and see some one roll in with their hair stuck to the side, face unwashed, pajamas and slippers is really silly and disrespectful. If I want to see you in your jammies, I'll come and spend the night at your house! I want to be as comfortable as the next person, but I mean really! I think many confuse comfort with being lazy and having a "I don't care" attitude which is rubbish and a bit sad.

Feraud

Bartender
Doe Peterson said:
I think many confuse comfort with being lazy and having a "I don't care" attitude which is rubbish and a bit sad.
Yes. Comfort is wonderful but looking half dressed or like a slob is another story.

Do not even get me started on people(especially adults) who wear their jeans around their rear ends! That is just pathetic.
:rage:

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Johnnysan said:
If manners, good taste, common sense, an expectation of mutual respect and civility are the bench marks of snobbery, then I stand guilty as charged. Your comments - and the way you present them - are exactly why people like me think that many in your generation are in the dark.

While I respect a healthy difference of opinion, you may find a more receptive audience for your ideas about "fashion" elsewhere.

Well done! Thanks :)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Doe Peterson said:
To go to a restaurant, as Fifi said, and see some one roll in with their hair stuck to the side, face unwashed, pajamas and slippers is really silly and disrespectful.

Golly me, not only do I sympathize with the guests who have to eat in the same room as such :rage: , I pity even the people who have to serve them, no matter how belligerent waiters/waitresses are these days. :(

Doe Peterson

New in Town
Feraud said:
Do not even get me started on people(especially adults) who wear their jeans around their rear ends! That is just pathetic.
:rage:

This is my endless battle as a teacher. Children coming to school with pants that are hanging BELOW the rear(I'm still fascinated by how they sort of stay on) and t-shirts so long that they're almost touching their feet. They don't moan and groan anymore,but when they hit the classroom door those shirts must be tucked in. I know it's the hip-hop fashion and children want to express themselves, but they can barely walk or do much of anything with these silly clothes that (and here's the amazing part) their parents bought for them!

Feraud

Bartender
Doe Peterson said:
This is my endless battle as a teacher. Children coming to school with pants that are hanging BELOW the rear(I'm still fascinated by how they sort of stay on) and t-shirts so long that they're almost touching their feet. They don't moan and groan anymore,but when they hit the classroom door those shirts must be tucked in. I know it's the hip-hop fashion and children want to express themselves, but they can barely walk or do much of anything with these silly clothes that (and here's the amazing part) their parents bought for them!
Doe Peterson, have you expressed this to their parents? I understand the students wishing to express their individuality. I seriously wonder how a parent justifies such fashion.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Doe Peterson said:

Ever give a thought to trying out this guy's idea?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3785&page=2&pp=15

When I was a Policeman in the 80's and 90s, I used to buy cheap little pad locks at the dollar store. Keep them open and throw away the key. I would inform the little saggers that they were in violation of modesy and general laws of nature. At that point I would take up the slack their britches and lock belt loops together, then leave. Never recieved a complaint for that one, surprisingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe