Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
I was walking through Beverly Hills today, just off Rodeo Drive, and received multiple compliments from strangers on my 5*. I like my jacket and that's the story I'm sticking to.
Be careful, you might trigger someone with that talk. That sentiment is not welcome around here. You’re about to get an earful on how your jacket is garbage.

KBlake

One Too Many
I think you are being too sensitive.
If you have a good jacket, Congratulations!
This thread features both winners, and more often disappointments.
The advise of veterans is just that.
I’m actually only half serious. For the most part I don’t care if my jacket isn’t the best quality or if the most discerning people on the planet don’t think it’s a worthwhile investment.

KBlake

One Too Many
Valid criticism is not an attack. 5 Star has remained the exact same since this thread was started on page 1. Nothing has changed. Sure they have copped more patterns (which are provided by customers) and let's be honest, they are all budget builds of higher quality jackets. I'm sure there are some who take great offense to that (and rightly so). I am confident that as soon as you receive your Aero, any love you have for 5 Star will fade fast and quickly evaporate.

I am not here to criticize you or panda. I just feel that I wasn't honest enough (at all) in my initial reviews of what 5 Star provides and frankly it probably led you and others to look at them in a light that is not genuine. In fact I know it did after looking over my PM's. I can't live with that on my conscious. So I'm coming clean about my opinions on 5 Star and I'm basing those opinions on collecting outerwear since the early 1990's in thrift stores, small city shit holes, salvation army stores, army navy surplus, all the various auction sites, etc.

I'm hardly even interested in leather jackets anymore, so that has freed me to speak honestly and without bias. I don't think 5 Star jackets are terrible. There are completely mediocre, with the same set of pattern flaws they started with based on a lack of understanding about human anatomy and basic jacket manufacture.
When someone posts saying they are happy with their jacket, and you tell them their jacket is "garbage", it comes across as an attack. At the very least, it's not very nice.

No one is disputing your authority on the subject. There is so much argument from authority here. People are constantly putting everyone in their place and suggesting they have no right to an opinion. Do you want this to be a welcoming place or a circle jerk for about ten different people to assert their authority and then another ten to paise their expertise?

No one is saying a 5* is just as good as an Aero. But insisting that people should not be pleased with their 5* jackets is not cool. This is a 5* forum. If you hate 5* you don't have to follow it.

One man's mediocre jacket is another man's treasure. You don't have to police other people's preferences.

KBlake

One Too Many
I think for example an Aero Speedway will look great on you. Twice as expensive as a 5* but when you factor in resale price and the fact that you don't need to order three or four jackets to get one decent one I'd say the Aero is the better deal.

If you were going to get this model as your daily jacket, what specs would you request? I picked black badalassi and brass hardware, but I'm on the fence about aged brass or shiny. Also I'm leaning towards the diamond puller. It's a small detail and a matter of preference, but I figure as a repro the diamond is most authentic. Thank you for your advice!

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
If you were going to get this model as your daily jacket, what specs would you request? I picked black badalassi and brass hardware, but I'm on the fence about aged brass or shiny. Also I'm leaning towards the diamond puller. It's a small detail and a matter of preference, but I figure as a repro the diamond is most authentic. Thank you for your advice!
Black Badalassi and brass is great. I have them too. But it has to be mentioned that the Badalassi squeaks and creaks. If you don't like that, you should choose a different leather.

When someone posts saying they are happy with their jacket, and you tell them their jacket is "garbage", it comes across as an attack. At the very least, it's not very nice.

No one is disputing your authority on the subject. There is so much argument from authority here. People are constantly putting everyone in their place and suggesting they have no right to an opinion. Do you want this to be a welcoming place or a circle jerk for about ten different people to assert their authority and then another ten to paise their expertise?

No one is saying a 5* is just as good as an Aero. But insisting that people should not be pleased with their 5* jackets is not cool. This is a 5* forum. If you hate 5* you don't have to follow it.

One man's mediocre jacket is another man's treasure. You don't have to police other people's preferences.
I called your jacket garbage? Nope, sure didn't. I called someone else's jacket garbage? Nope...you made that up. I'm not insisting people shouldn't be pleased with 5 Star at all, I'm saying I ultimately was not. My authority? Jacket expert? WTF is that? No it's my experience. In my experience, these are my opinions. I don't care what your preferences are, have at it. This is a 5 Star thread, not a forum. I should know because I contributed before you were here. Your words: "People are constantly putting everyone in their place and suggesting they have no right to an opinion". Yet this is exactly what you are doing when you don't like mine.

Your words: "But insisting that people should not be pleased with their 5* jackets is not cool."- I never said that, you inferred it.

I have be honest, at this point you are coming off as a 5 Star shill.

For a guy who doesn't care about other peoples opinions you sure have a funny way of showing it, seems you need near constant reassurance , and the opinions I expressed were about my jackets. Do these criticisms apply to all 5 Star jackets. Yes, they probably do. And that's why you are butthurt.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'd probably choose either a brass ring pull or the loop ball and chain to give the jacket a proper '30s vibe.

Like @MrProper mentioned Badalassi is beautiful with lots of color depth but be prepared for the squeak.

Observe

One Too Many
Actually, at the height of TFL’s Aero-bashing phase (which lasted about three years, and led me to get an Aero as an act of rebellion), the sentiment was that 5* is better than Aero because stitch count or something, lol.
I'm sure lots of hyperbole could be dredged up from these many pages.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
So aged brass, right? I really like the look of the loop ball and chain.
I used the normal brass. However, it ages quite quickly on its own.

Attachments

• IMG_4188.jpeg
    IMG_4188.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4189.jpeg
    IMG_4189.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld