Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer
you use a gentle hammer on it
Instructions not clear:

tom_and_jerry_will_never_stop_being_funny_even_though_its_80_years_old_already_01.gif

Sorry, I don't mean to make fun at your expense. I'd feel disappointed with the whole experience too.
It's just the weirdest customer support I've seen so far in my short time here.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Soiled plate underneath , gentle hammer…
Fixed in 2 - 3 minutes but will disappear over time ?
Sounds like bullshit to me !!

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
UPDATE 2:

I received an email from Shawn offering to remake the jacket, as they want to make it right.

I think this is a great solution, and have asked them for logistics of how to make it work.

As I have said, I honestly do believe in the service these guys offer, and it seems that so far, they are on track to helping make this right.

Ill keep the thread updated as we go along.

klorel

New in Town
View attachment 622044 View attachment 622045 View attachment 622046 This came out pretty good. It’s the buffalo, which is on par with the goat, but has some really nice graining. I might get it in black horse too if I can use cc points.
Wow, you cracked the 5* code! The jacket seems really nice, only thing that I may comment on is the halfbelt: maybe a little wider and one inch and half lower would have looked even nicer.
Would you be so kind to share the way you ordered the back to be done?

KBlake

One Too Many
Wow, you cracked the 5* code! The jacket seems really nice, only thing that I may comment on is the halfbelt: maybe a little wider and one inch and half lower would have looked even nicer.
Would you be so kind to share the way you ordered the back to be done?
I simply supplied this photo of the freewheelers four corners jacket.
IMG_0385.jpeg

Per suggestion from @Canuck Panda I’m replacing the cheap buttons with nicer fish eye buttons. A dramatic improvement! The bottom button is new and the top two are original 5*. View attachment 624906

And here’s the cuff with new buttons: View attachment 624905

Doing it yourself is easy, therapeutic even, and saves ~$50.
Did you ask for goatskin cuffs? 5 Star pulled the old mixed hide painted same color on one of my jackets. A goatskin panel on a cowhide jacket. That was the end of the end for me.

Observe

One Too Many
Did you ask for goatskin cuffs? 5 Star pulled the old mixed hide painted same color on one of my jackets. A goatskin panel on a cowhide jacket. That was the end of the end for me.
Oh wow, the cuff is goatskin too lol. The rest of the jacket looks to be a different hide, or at least not like the goatskin I've had from them before.

KBlake

One Too Many
Haha they may have done that lol. That’s wild.

The whole thing is supposed to be Buffalo lol. I haven’t done a dna test tho.
No need to test, it's clearly goat. They did this to me too. Goatskin is the cheapest hide they offer. Everything, even the crappy cowhide, is an upcharge off goat. It's cost cutting (for literally zero gain) measures like this that make 5 Star really stand apart. For me, stuff like this just can't pass the sniff test. All the other quality issues aside, this is just plain wrong and frankly, garbage. A hodgepodge of hides sewn into one jacket? NFG and how much can this possibly benefit them? If anything, it's a set-up for failure all the way.

KBlake

One Too Many
No need to test, it's clearly goat. They did this to me too. Goatskin is the cheapest hide they offer. Everything, even the crappy cowhide, is an upcharge off goat. It's cost cutting (for literally zero gain) measures like this that make 5 Star really stand apart. For me, stuff like this just can't pass the sniff test. All the other quality issues aside, this is just plain wrong and frankly, garbage. A hodgepodge of hides sewn into one jacket? NFG and how much can this possibly benefit them? If anything, it's a set-up for failure all the way.
You’re right that’s crazy.

You’re right that’s crazy.
I don’t intend to piss all over your jacket. I’ve actually throttled back my postings across the forum as I noticed my tone is often too negative. But stuff like this just should not be tolerated. It’s just plain wrong.

KBlake

One Too Many
I don’t intend to piss all over your jacket. I’ve actually throttled back my postings across the forum as I noticed my tone is often too negative. But stuff like this just should not be tolerated. It’s just plain wrong.
Nah man you're good. You're absolutely right that they crossed the line here.

KBlake

One Too Many
I’m confident they will remake it.

In the meantime, I had them make the same jacket for me in black. They forgot to include a top button but besides that I don’t have any complaints.

I’m not here to say that 5* is a good option for other folks. I personally like playing designer and specifying measurements.
IMG_1329.jpeg
IMG_1310.jpeg

KBlake

One Too Many
This was their response:

Thanks for your email - we appreciate your concern regarding this matter,
please note that we use the same leather Buffalo on the Entire Jacket, i will send you the reference images of Buffalo skin shortly even the grain of above images is Buffalo leather,

I am not convinced that they mixed Buffalo and goat after all. From what I understand they may have mixed top grain with full grain though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld