Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Windward is from the late 30s early 40s and very detailed. Yes, the lining is a necessary part of this jacket. This jacket has 2 labels, I would expect it costly to reproduce these labels, but it would be nice.

I did visit the 5Star website. Wow! they have quite a large offering of jackets and none expensive.

I could provide them with quite a few jackets; motorcycle and civilian. The Windward just happens to be one I can't wear.

Interesting they have not done a Iconic Sears Hercules from the 30s like every body else. I do have one, but not my favorite jacket.

Their half-belt offering could be a bit more interesting, like this Taubers

View attachment 414188 View attachment 414187

maybe something in Goatskin
View attachment 414191
View attachment 414192

I have never handled one of their jackets, just seen pictures.

Would folks be interested in jackets like these? I don't need repro of these because they fit me.

Could be an interesting project. How do you contact Shawn?
Shawn's prices are not cheap actually. He is 1.5 times to 2 times more than his peers. But that is also the point. I can see that Shawn is trying to make an $800 jacket at $400 instead of making a $200 jacket at $199.

The (authentic) labels are NECESSARY! All of his authentic A2 repros comes with authentic labels. Shawn could do what he does with A2 repros but with his civilian repros.

I'd buy the Winward and the Californian Goatskin in a hearbeat. But I might hold off on the Tauber. It's a great jacket but is too basic to fully utilize Shawn's advantage of lower labor cost. The Tauber is something I would do at Johnson. I hope I made sense with this potential scenario.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
This is the Rough Wear I mentioned that I still dream about :D

1648578406680.png

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Windward is from the late 30s early 40s and very detailed. Yes, the lining is a necessary part of this jacket. This jacket has 2 labels, I would expect it costly to reproduce these labels, but it would be nice.

I did visit the 5Star website. Wow! they have quite a large offering of jackets and none expensive.

I could provide them with quite a few jackets; motorcycle and civilian. The Windward just happens to be one I can't wear.

Interesting they have not done a Iconic Sears Hercules from the 30s like every body else. I do have one, but not my favorite jacket.

View attachment 414191
View attachment 414192

Would folks be interested in jackets like these? I don't need repro of these because they fit me.

These are all amazing, and if you look at the VLJ thread, it looks like he makes a strong effort to correctly repro labels and fix then when there are mistakes.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

View attachment 414191
View attachment 414192

Gaaahhh! Must...not....order...more....jackets!

Would be nice though, for Shawn to have some of these to make real patterns. Thanks for considering this.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Shawn's prices are not cheap actually. He is 1.5 times to 2 times more than his peers. But that is also the point. I can see that Shawn is trying to make an $800 jacket at $400 instead of making a $200 jacket at $199.

The (authentic) labels are NECESSARY! All of his authentic A2 repros comes with authentic labels. Shawn could do what he does with A2 repros but with his civilian repros.

I'd buy the Winward and the Californian Goatskin in a hearbeat. But I might hold off on the Tauber. It's a great jacket but is too basic to fully utilize Shawn's advantage of lower labor cost. The Tauber is something I would do at Johnson. I hope I made sense with this potential scenario.
He can fabricate any labels including leather patch type labels and fabrics too

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Yes, you made sense. I like certain jackets over others because they way the fit me. Taubers half-belt is a case in point, although simple in design it is perfect.

This one is fairly simple, but again it is how it fits. The color also adds to it's charm.

When you are making a standard half-belt the little touches distinguish from another otherwise they all look alike.

1648579289824.jpeg

1648579398545.jpeg

This Hercules is a nice aviator look

1648579588456.jpeg
1648579553364.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, you made sense. I like certain jackets over others because they way the fit me. Taubers half-belt is a case in point, although simple in design it is perfect.

This one is fairly simple, but again it is how it fits. The color also adds to it's charm.

When you are making a standard half-belt the little touches distinguish from another otherwise they all look alike.

View attachment 414265
View attachment 414266

This Hercules is a nice aviator look

View attachment 414268 View attachment 414267
While the Sportclad and the Herc would have the same retail as repro jackets, they cost different to make.

The Sportclad only has three pockets and no hand sewn buttons.

The Herc has five pockets and 6 hand sewn buttons, and two machine button holes.

The Sportclad type of half belt I can always find similar replacements, made by Western brands, for about 600 to 800 dollars, using Western branded tannery leather. The Herc I cannot. And that's where Shawn's value comes in. And making the Herc with the original labels just sweetened up the deal much more.

Don't get me wrong, Shawn can do the Sportclad too. But that's something I can also get from many others, even a bit more money but more value. Hope I am making sense. These are just my personal opinion though. Others may see it differently. But one thing I know is button hole seems to be a big deal in the real of custom jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe