Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Vintage Suit

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Wow, some good info in here. Thanks guys.

I'll get some pics with a shirt and tie as soon as I can, which might be a few days. :eusa_doh:
But I think I'd have to agree with Tomasso, it's just a tad short and a bit too tight. I like the shape but the suit, the vest specifically, is too tight to justify keeping for myself. The vest also shows a bit of shirt above the trousers.
One reason for the short sleeves is my "monkey arms". Every suit I've ever bought had to have the sleeves lengthened.
Maybe I'll have a similar one that fits better tailor-made. [huh]
Thanks again.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
slicedbread said:
Ah, I see...No cuffs is :(

Alan Eardley, did you mean that you don't think the sleeves can be lengthened?

I meant altered in any way and still keep them the same design. You can sometims shorten a mitred corner by changing it to an overlapped corner, but you can't usually lengthen one.

Alan

Rooster

Practically Family
The vest also shows a bit of shirt above the trousers.
Keep in mind that vest was intended to be worn with high waisted trousers. That means pants worn at the navel at the lowest and preferably an inch or two higher.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I have a 20's coat and I have to pull my pants up because the jacket is short. It looks fine and no one really notices that your pants are above your waist.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here are some quick measurements.

Jacket is roughly a 38R.
Sleeves: 24 1/2" long.
Shoulder to shoulder: 17"
Jacket length: 31"

Trouser waist is rougly a 30.
Total trouser length: 41"
Inseam length: 29"
Pant leg circumference: 18"
Practically no taper.
Stamped on the pocket lining: "2101 22 29" (could the "22 29" be the trouser size? I'm a 32x32. :eek: )
It has suspender buttons.

Length of vest: 22"

Cheers

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
great suit!

Wow, what a great suit! I really like the fabric pattern, and I'm a fan of a "sharper", more tapered look. If you decide that you're interested in selling or trading, drop me a line.

Daniel

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Hello, I'm new here... but, I have a few suits that had short sleeves... I recall taking them to a tailor and having them dropped a little. Most times there is an inch or more to play with in the hem.

A '39 copyright tag, that suit looks pre war to me. The fit and cut says to me 39-41.

Good looking suit, have it sized a little in the sleeves and enjoy!

Forgotten Man~

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
As promised, some pics of it in full wear. The sleeves aren't bad, they could be taken down a bit as well.
The problem comes from the vest and trousers. Even with the trousers up to my belly button shirt still shows below the vest. It's just too short.
And, with the trousers up to my natural waist they are about 1" too short. I could lengthen them a maximum of about 1/2" but it's not enough.

Take a look for yourselves.
DSCF1235.jpg

DSCF1236.jpg

Oh, and here's a photo of the true fabric pattern.
DSCF1238.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Thom Browne would be proud of those trousers.* :p Obvious and cliched jokes aside, I'd say it's best to sell it to a member here who better fits those measurements. You'd make sure it has a good home. :)

*For the record, I actually love Browne.

neyus

New in Town
What a great looking suit. The waist supression is beautiful. The pants far too short, and sleeves probably also an inch too short. I think you'll have to sell this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe