Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

-FIRST POST-INTRO-QUESTION

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Hey Guys!
I just registered with the Fedora Lounge. I have become very interested in Fedoras from watching Indiana Jones. I also have a keen interest and knowledge of WWII Aviation. I am also really interested in WWII United States Army Air Force Leather jackets, sunglasses, crusher caps, patches, and clothes.

I have an Indiana Jones licensed fedora from one of the Disneyland Parks, and an A-2 type leather jacket from Tommy Hilfiger, I believe. I also have a pair of silver WWII Aviator sunglasses. I will post pictures.

At the moment, I am looking for a USAAF crusher cap. I am thinking about purchasing a crusher from either USWings or Garcia Aviation. Anyone know if the USWings crusher is any good? I am interested in details, so whatever you have to tell or say about the USWings or Garcia aviation caps, tell me.

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
USAAF Items

Are you only looking for reproduction USAAF items or are you looking for original USAAF items too because sometimes you can get the original item cheaper then the reproduction item and I only say that because lately I've sold some of my original USAAF items cheaper because I didn't have a lot of money into the item or items and I wanted to move them?
Mike

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome USAFap, You certainly got the bug that most of us are afflicted with, that's for sure! The question is, "how much do you want to spend"? There are some cheaper repro out there but what I've discovered is, they do a lousy job with the bill and the strap - some are just plastic. So be careful. On the other hand their are some guys right here on the FL that actually make/manufacture/assemble/create some mighty fine looking repros that are 'spot on' - but of course their price reflects that superior quality as well.

Like many of have done, browse the by E and look for a real cap that is up for auction. Again, you may spend a bit more that you anticipated but there are still some good finds to be had.

Mine is a twenty-year old repro I picked up from U.S. Wings. I'm perfectly satisfied. Is it 100% authentic? No. But it only cost me about $50.00 too.

Good luck with you hunting mate! When the FL permits it, get some photos up there! Here's me!
822100-R2-13Ab.jpg

-dixon cannon

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Welcome to the gang. Your post and the replies reminded me to ask this question:

I recently acquired a pre-war enlisted cap. Not a crusher as it has a sewn in, non-removable wire stiffener. The bill is an awesome soft leather like the high end true crushers. Not a moth nip one. But the leather band on the front is shot. Anywhere to get a replacement of just that part?

Thanks
Matt

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
MPiccotto,
I thought I had some but mine are the WW II leather bands with the brass buckle that go on the back of the crusher hats.

I recently acquired a pre-war enlisted cap. Not a crusher as it has a sewn in, non-removable wire stiffener. The bill is an awesome soft leather like the high end true crushers. Not a moth nip one. But the leather band on the front is shot. Anywhere to get a replacement of just that part?

Thanks
Matt[/QUOTE]

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon,
are your russet shoes original WW II because they sure look like they are, really nice? When I was at KMart the other day I saw some russet oxfords that looked really close to yours except they had a leather band across the toe like a wing tip oxford. Mike

Dixon Cannon said:
Welcome USAFap, You certainly got the bug that
most of us are afflicted with, that's for sure! The question is, "how much do you want to spend"? There are some cheaper repro out there but what I've discovered is, they do a lousy job with the bill and the strap - some are just plastic. So be careful. On the other hand their are some guys right here on the FL that actually make/manufacture/assemble/create some mighty fine looking repros that are 'spot on' - but of course their price reflects that superior quality as well.

Like many of have done, browse the by E and look for a real cap that is up for auction. Again, you may spend a bit more that you anticipated but there are still some good finds to be had.

Mine is a twenty-year old repro I picked up from U.S. Wings. I'm perfectly satisfied. Is it 100% authentic? No. But it only cost me about $50.00 too.

Good luck with you hunting mate! When the FL permits it, get some photos up there! Here's me!
822100-R2-13Ab.jpg

-dixon cannon

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
The USWings cap looks pretty good. I want to know if the current USWings cap comes with the stiffeners inside or does it already come crushed? Is it crushed nicely? Anybody have any pictures? The Garcia Aviation cap looks nice, but it is more expensive, but it is already crushed and very nice looking.

Anybody have any stories/input/pictures? :)

Dixon Cannon

USAAFap

As others on the lounge will attest, the term 'Crusher' is pretty specific to the type of cap manufactured to be "crushed" and folded for inserting into ones pocket during flight for instance. These hats were made that way and are crushable.

However, standard Army issue caps could be altered by removing the stiffener and giving the hat a "Fifty-Mission Crush" that simulates high time in the cockpit with a head-set over the cap and head. That's the difference.

My U.S. Wings cames with the "Fifty Mission Crush" but is not a true 'Crusher' as it cannot be folded without ruining the integrity of the construction.

Search 'Crusher', 'Crush Cap' etc on the FL as there a lot of comments, descriptions and photos of members caps over the years that show the wide variety of caps that are quite acceptable for re-enacting. Old WWII photos also will show the variety that were worn by airmen in theatre - much like the A-2 jackets.

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Hopalong said:
Dixon Cannon,
are your russet shoes original WW II because they sure look like they are, really nice? When I was at KMart the other day I saw some russet oxfords that looked really close to yours except they had a leather band across the toe like a wing tip oxford. Mike

Hey you know what? Those kicks are from a Western Outfitters here in Arizona and they are known as lace-up 'Ropers'! I took the silly frilly thing off of them and they pass as flying boots everywhere I go! Now you know my secret. Although some manufacturers do offer genuine russet oxfords that are spot on in specs, I wear a great pair of Bostonian Raleigh's (that do not have a cap-toe) with my Class A's.

A lot of this stuff can be obtained with authentic specs (some genuine!) if a budget permits. But for the mill-run of us, there are some less expensive alternatives that fit the bill just perfectly. Hey you fell for my flying boots, right!! :rolleyes:

-dixon cannon

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
You know, I have been reading around this site and the USWings crusher cap does not appeal to me anymore at all. You guys said that it has the "Manuel Noriega" look, and that really doesn't make me want to buy it because I'm going for the USAAF pilot look, not the South American dictator look. I found the Garcia Aviation crusher cap to be far more appealing. Should I go with it?

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon,
thanks for the info as it's always appreciated.
Mike

Dixon Cannon said:
Hey you know what? Those kicks are from a Western Outfitters here in Arizona and they are known as lace-up 'Ropers'! I took the silly frilly thing off of them and they pass as flying boots everywhere I go! Now you know my secret. Although some manufacturers do offer genuine russet oxfords that are spot on in specs, I wear a great pair of Bostonian Raleigh's (that do not have a cap-toe) with my Class A's.

A lot of this stuff can be obtained with authentic specs (some genuine!) if a budget permits. But for the mill-run of us, there are some less expensive alternatives that fit the bill just perfectly. Hey you fell for my flying boots, right!! :rolleyes:

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Well then, try this on for size. The bill looks right, but the peak might be a bit high. Remember you can always reach inside and crush the peak stiffener as well to give in a well worn look. US Army Officer Service Cap #100132000
crushercap.jpg

Also called Crusher, as they are popularly known today. My cap is made with 100% wool elastique body, a soft leather brim, and the back strap. They come with a wire stiffener which is easily removed, after which you can roll it up and crush it to your heart's content. Also includes a WWII style officer's cap badge as shown. http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=132&bc=no

Good luck!

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe