Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FINALLY I landed a Borsalino…that fits!

Magus

Practically Family
Let there be great rejoicing! The wait and gamble paid off big time. I didn‚Äôt want to say anything until it arrived. But now I can. I bought it last week and took a small chance. Its listed as a 7 3/8 and marked as such, I am a 7 ¬? so I was ready to send it for a proper stretching etc. But it fits like a glove.

The brim is 2 3/8 and the crown is 5 ¬?. The markings on it indicate that it is a ‚Äô39 (based on the ciphers that I found in threads here). I didn‚Äôt get a photo of the indicator as it is nestled waaaay under the sweatband and liner and very hard to get at.‚ĶI‚Äôm not taking any chances with flipping the band down too far etc (I had one snap on me 2 weeks ago). It has been worn as the print on the band shows, but it is in pristine condition. I spent maybe 10 min brushing it and its beautiful. (sounding like a new dad‚ĶI know)

Here is the auction…and what I paid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8289629825&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Here are some pictures of it. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

STA70037.JPG

STA70038.JPG

STA70029.JPG

STA70030.JPG

STA70032.JPG

M

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Lovely! And it's a "Superiore" -- should be really nice felt. Is the edge turned up and sewn? Can't tell from the photos...

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, I figured that was you! Great looking lid, and I'm glad it went to a good home! I did win that seller's Drake Deluxe and I'll post pics when it arrives.

Wait a sec... I did hear the dog barking...

It's here!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the club! My Borsalinos are my favorites, the first fedora that I ever bought (that I didn't inherit). I was at a Mid-Century Flea market many years ago and it was just in a stack of hats for only $30 bucks! Of course I had no idea what it was until I found the lounge this last Christmas. I still love to wear it but I'm a lot more paranoid now, I wear my other fedoras for fear of wearing it out (irrational fear, I know). That one is brown, and I have a gray one now too. I'm wearing the brown in my avatar.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
A Real Deal!

Magus, nice lid & price, really think this looks good on you.
Now you need some white dress shirts & 1940's ties!

SC :eusa_clap

Magus

Practically Family
Visigoth said:
Lovely! And it's a "Superiore" -- should be really nice felt. Is the edge turned up and sewn? Can't tell from the photos...

Thanks guys! I have what my family calls a "crap eating grin" that I just can't/don't want to shake. I feel like the cat the swallowed the canary. The felt is smooooooooooth. Not thin though. Medium weight. It has an unsewn overwelt, The inside is thick silk...rather than satin.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats. Elegant Borsalino. Looks like a Cavanagh-style
edge, too. A classic bad eBay listing leads to a good deal.

BTW, that's not the kind of Borsalino one rolls up.
It might do fine, but it's not what people refer to
when they refer to rolling up Borsalinos.

On the other hand, it's, in my opinion, much nicer
than most rollup Borsalinos. Nice generous crown
and brim. A classic.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
what a score!

I agree it looks great on you. That's quite a high crown. I was watching a Borsalino tonight and stopped when the price went over $100. I don't know what the auction closed at.

Now stop that grinning!! lol

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Magus,
That is a beautiful hat and a fantastic price. Borsalinos usually go for well over a hundred. Also, it looks much better on you than the photo.

The felt is so rich and soft and I love the thick band; it's very strong looking.

I know how nice that hat is because I am speaking from experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe