Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt Strips....?

Feraud

Bartender
I see no difference in using your own felt. I have used double sided foam tape on a couple of hats. You can insert the tape inside the sweatband instead of sticking it to the band.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I assume this is to reduce the circumference slightly? When I got my hat from Bencraft recently they used a thin strip of foam. Is felt preferable?

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Don't like foam...

I bought a vintage lid that had foam strips that had completely deteriorated, leaving a black, smudgy mess behind the sweat. I like the felt or cork, but see no reason to tape or glue it to the sweat. It's not gonna fall out, and you may want to remove or reposition it later.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
bolthead said:
Can I ask.....what makes these felt strips any different, than me going out & buying a piece of felt myself & cutting it into strips, then applying them with 2 sided tape to the sweat?

That's what I did. Bought a large piece of synthetic gray felt and cut it into strips. Sometimes I use double thickness.
No tape. Works well. Doesn't move.

Flieger

Practically Family
bolthead said:
Yeah, but I heard they have to be true cork and not that synthetic stuff, is this true....if so, how do you tell the difference?

Where do you get yours Flieger?

I found these table mats... whatchacallem? The things you put under your dinner plates? Anyway, They are 1/8 inch thick, made of chrushed cork. True cork or not? I have no idea. They smell like cork. [huh]

IKEA, of course. :)

/F

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
whoa....

Flieger said:
I found these table mats... whatchacallem? The things you put under your dinner plates? Anyway, They are 1/8 inch thick, made of chrushed cork. True cork or not? I have no idea. They smell like cork. [huh]

IKEA, of course. :)

/F
Good thinkin' :eusa_clap

Flieger

Practically Family
I found a similar cork strip under the sweatband of a Borsalino I bought here in Sweden. That's where I got the idea. If 1/8 is too thick for you, it's easy to sand it down.

/F

barrowjh

One Too Many
Fella named Oscar at South Street Hats in Philadelphia showed me how to flip the sweatband out, then run masking tape completely around the seam where the sweatband was sewn. When you flipped the sweatband back into the hat, it folded the tape back on itself, making a nice spacer. Somehow I suspect this may eventually damage the felt, though it seems to work really well in the short run - anybody ever heard of this before?

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
barrowjh said:
Fella named Oscar at South Street Hats in Philadelphia showed me how to flip the sweatband out, then run masking tape completely around the seam where the sweatband was sewn. When you flipped the sweatband back into the hat, it folded the tape back on itself, making a nice spacer. Somehow I suspect this may eventually damage the felt, though it seems to work really well in the short run - anybody ever heard of this before?

Sounds like a neat way to do it. But as a temporary fix. My concern would be the certain disintigration of the masking tape after time. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to clean it out. In the long run I'd think it would be easier to simply use fabric without adhesive.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I tried felt strips, but I never could get a really comfortable fit. Now I remove the sweatband, clip the back seam, fit it to my head, then sew it back into the hat. Oh yeah, the first step is to remove the ribbon, and the last step is to reattach it. I've successfully reduced a 7 1/2 to a 7 1/8! It takes a while, but it's something to do while watching "The Hat Channel."

bolthead

J.T.Marcus said:
I tried felt strips, but I never could get a really comfortable fit. Now I remove the sweatband, clip the back seam, fit it to my head, then sew it back into the hat. Oh yeah, the first step is to remove the ribbon, and the last step is to reattach it. I've successfully reduced a 7 1/2 to a 7 1/8! It takes a while, but it's something to do while watching "The Hat Channel."
that sure seems like a lot of work? :rolleyes:

BegintheBeguine

I acquired my last hat for a steal because it was a little larger than the size marked so I ordered a set of fedoraFelts for about $2.80. http://www.thefedorastore.com/FedoraFelts-tm-Hat-Sizing-Strip-p/strips.htm They arrived in about 2 days. As I didn't have any decent felt around the house and I combine trips or simply wait long enough for the urge to go away, it would have taken a lot longer than 2 days and who knows how much moolah in materiel and gas to do felt strips myself. This product works great. I clicked on TheFedoraStore link at the top of the Lounge page. :)

bolthead

BegintheBeguine said:
I acquired my last hat for a steal because it was a little larger than the size marked so I ordered a set of fedoraFelts for about $2.80. http://www.thefedorastore.com/FedoraFelts-tm-Hat-Sizing-Strip-p/strips.htm They arrived in about 2 days. As I didn't have any decent felt around the house and I combine trips or simply wait long enough for the urge to go away, it would have taken a lot longer than 2 days and who knows how much moolah in materiel and gas to do felt strips myself. This product works great. I clicked on TheFedoraStore link at the top of the Lounge page. :)
they may only be $2.80, but how much is S&H, like $7 or $8? To me it isnt really worth it.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Save your Money!

It's such a simple procedure, and any material will really work. I would suggest you save the $3.20 and just take some tissue and put it under your sweatband. We do sell a lot of this material, and boutiques and hat stores around the country order large quantities. However, you point is right on target. You can do it yourself for a lot less money. I just had my house painted, and spent over $2k. Could have done it for a lot less on my own.
Best of luck in sizing your hat, it's really quite easy no mater what you use.

bolthead

thefedorastore said:
It's such a simple procedure, and any material will really work. I would suggest you save the $3.20 and just take some tissue and put it under your sweatband. We do sell a lot of this material, and boutiques and hat stores around the country order large quantities. However, you point is right on target. You can do it yourself for a lot less money. I just had my house painted, and spent over $2k. Could have done it for a lot less on my own.
Best of luck in sizing your hat, it's really quite easy no mater what you use.
:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe