Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Redwings, of course, are rarely discounted. Indeed, I can understand why the Newburgh St store doesn't participate in the increasingly regular Carnaby st/Newburgh st etc Association " 20% off Shopping Evenings " . Filson now don't, though LVC does as does the excellent Peckham Rye.
Only time to get Redwing discount is normally when some is trying to clear stock on odd lines. I got both a Sage and a Black Abilene Roughout Chukka somewhile ago at a good price by luck, and they make a great alternative dessie to the dear old Clarks (still as flimsy and leaky as they were in the '60s)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Red Wing 2963
IMG_3802.JPG

With outfit
IMG_3795.JPG

Also Nice! I can't really tell from the picture, are the welts double stitched, or Norwegian welt?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx. They're essentially a Norwegian welt, though White's refers to them as stitch down.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Looking at a new pair of Chelsea boots soon, and would like some recommendations for which brand is better quality.

Tried looking but not to sure. It seems Frye's now outsources and quality has suffered? What about Barneys?

The boots I'm interested in are the Agile Jodhpur from Barneys and the Waterproof Chelsea from Timberland. Both are slip on waterproof boots which are ideal to me.

But also considering Frye's and Blundstone because I want to invest in quality. How do these 4 brands compare or rank in terms of quality?

tropicalbob

Muyjingo -- I believe that only some of the Fryes are outsourced. I have the Rand lace-ups, Jackson Engineers (2 pair), and Phillip zips, all of which are made here and are great boots.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Muyjingo -- I believe that only some of the Fryes are outsourced. I have the Rand lace-ups, Jackson Engineers (2 pair), and Phillip zips, all of which are made here and are great boots.

Thanks - I found that out, but it seems all the chelsea styles are outsourced. I'm guessing Barney's is more fashion than quality, same for timberland although they are both marked as water proof. Looking at RM Williams now as well. At the moment Timberland's seem like the go.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Oh Well, just bought a pair of Timberland's Mt Washington Chelsea boots. - http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4208943&prodFindSrc=cart

pTBL1-7900289v275.jpg

Got them for $147 including tax and delivery.

They are waterproof and Timberland seem like a quality brand.

The other options were from Barneys NY, Fryes and RM Williams.

Frye's Chelsea boots are now outsourced so I'm not sure the quality is worth the premium price, which is more than twice that of the Timberland's.

R.M. Williams look nice but seem cost prohibitive trying to buy in the US, as well as the fact they are also about three times more expensive.

May end up with an R.M. Williams pair eventually, but for now the Timberland's seem like a good option.

breezer

Practically Family
Just had some fantastic luck - I picked up a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in my local charity shop for a song. And they fit! The weird thing is I had bid on a pair of Iron Rangers on ebay a few weeks ago - I didn't win, the price for a lightly used pair was £167. And if I had won they wouldn't have fitted anyway, which brings me back to the pair I actually bought. When I spotted them and picked them up, initially my heart sank when I read the label on the tongue stating they were a USA9/ UK8. But they looked my size and when I slipped them on they fitted perfectly. Now I am a standard UK9 - always, but these are an 8 and if anything they are a tiny tiny bit too big. Anyway the long and short of it is am now the proud owner of a pair of boots I never thought I would be able to afford - and some kind person has broken them in for me. I would say they condition is 8/10, the suede is nicely worn in, and the soles look very lightly worn. Pictures to follow soon. My question for you guys is - is it worth thinking about upgrading the soles? I am thinking vibram or some kind of rubber - the smooth sole on them frightens me! I want to wear these boots in all terrains. ( my other boots are Danners - they have been worn everywhere! )

Last edited:

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Depending on your shoe size there are a couple of pairs of Red Wing Chelsea boots that are Made in the USA on Sierra Trading post right now. If you sign up for their emailing list and wait for a good coupon you can get a pretty good deal (I've seen the chelsea boots as low as around $130). These are seconds so may have some small issues.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~red-wing/?perPage=24

Huh, thanks. They have a piar on there now for $207, I just don't know that it's worth it.

Not really sure why people would lok down on Timberland, and I like the fact the ones I have are waterproof. It's a minor thing to some, but I like not having to worry about avoiding puddles in rainy season in NYC.

The Redwings are also factory seconds....I'm guessing that means while they are still mostly fine, there was some reason they were rejected.

casechopper

With Sierra Trading Post you have to get on their emailing list to get the best prices. Those chelsea boots are available with an email link from them for around $130 right now. The only thing is that there aren't many sizes left now. Some of the 2nds can be rough but if you get bad seconds you can return them very easily to STP.

Timberland makes decent boots too from what I hear (though I have no experience with Timberland boots). They aren't considered to be on the same level as Red Wings from what I've read and from looking at the photos I prefer the look of the RW's to the Timberlands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld