Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feeling like a fraud?

To my thinking, "vintage" is more mindset than anything. I'm probably the closest to "fraud" here, but that's because I CAN'T wear anything vintage: I'm so hard on clothing, anything actually from the Golden Era would just fall apart after a few days, unless it went back to my tailor for refit between every wearing...

Tinseltown, you've got nothing to worry about, dear lady.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Loungers even tolerate Campaign Hats which I, with a few others, promote... and they've always been gracious with my peculiar obsession. Not headwear of the "Golden Era", but's that's what I enjoy about this place, it's a place to be different just like everyone else in it.

dean

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I understand. I don't dress vintage all the time--perhaps once a month, but I love the history, the collectibles that go around it and I love the community around the Lounge too. I mean, look at that picture of me over to the left! Could I look more normal? But the other picture I used to have didn't have me smiling and I would rather be seen as approachable and nice and well, me.

And I don't think anyone on the Lounge would ever judge anyone here. They might have strong opinions on things, but overall, I don't think there is a more welcoming bunch of people.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
As I sit here typing, I am wearing my favorite chenille sweater with a hood, Gap Classic blue jeans and my Timberland boots which I wear almost every day. My long hair is hanging loose with no decernible style.

Like Diamondback I am pretty hard on my clothes. I own only a few vintage pieces and almost never wear those. I am too afraid of destroying what I see as historical documents. I am slowly aquiring vintage inspired pieces and making my own, but on a daily basis, looking at me, you wouldn't know I was a vintage enthusiast.

I'm a newbie too, with limited knowledge of most vintage topics, but I like to think of this as a learning community. I think many people are here to learn more. So, I hope you don't feel alone or like you don't fit in.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Tinse: Boy, did you push a lot of peoples' buttons! One of the great things about this gang is that it's a place where people who feel like misfits can fit in. I hope you're hearing the loudly accepting tone of all these responses! We're all just here to have fun and learn and find kindred spirits. And along the way we can also find inspiration. I lost my brown fedora in a cab a couple of years ago, and when I found this website I realized that I really wanted to get another one. So I did! And boy am I happy about it. So if hanging out on this website enhances your life in any way, then that' s real, and that's wahat we're all here for.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've been seriously into vintage now since 1998 and this is all I have to show for it clotheswise:

7 dresses (1 which is unwearable)
7 hats
4 coats
2 bathing suits
1 necklace
1 bracelet

And I never wear any of this unless it's a special occassion. I'm vintage-inspired every single day, though. And I have the attitude and confidence to carry it off. That's all you really need.

I'd never feel inferior to anyone on here. Going by my experience, this is the most welcoming Message Board for the vintage lifestyle that I've yet encountered! No one looks down on anyone here.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
On more than one occasion, I have felt as though I don't really belong here as a member. I don't own any vintage clothing (although I enjoy looking at the things other folks own and wear), and I'm older than most of those who post so at times my perspective on things differs from the younger members.

The only really vintage things I own are a car, 1952 Chevrolet and a collection of pipes from the 30's and 40's. I do, however, remember when men wore suits to go to town and when a woman wouldn't think of going out to shop without her hat. Even though I don't own any vintage clothes, I do have a vintage brain and body so I think that qualifies me for membershiplol

Because I enjoy reading the posts of the Lounge regulars, and because occasionally I have something moderately worthwhile to contribute, I keep visiting.

cooper

One of the Regulars
I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm glad I found this site. I don't dress vintage either.Blue jeans, long tee shirt, corduroy shirt with the sleaves rolled halfway up,with a pair of Chippewa 6 inck work boots or New Balance 806's. Thats sort of vintage. I've been dressing that way since the 70's. I wear a few vintage watches.I was obsessed with finding a Vintage style ballcap
I like all the eras.Grew up watching all the war movies,Doris Day, Martin and Lewis,Brat pack.
I've always thought going through the twenties would be an adventure.
Everyone just talks about everything.Hope I fit in.
Later,
Coop

Mojito

One Too Many
My favourite vintage era is the 20s, and I couldn't wear most of my collection from that period on a day-to-day basis - it simply couldn't stand the strain. So I'm sitting here wearing simple long black pants, shoes that might be called Mary-Janes but which have a squared off toe so hardly look the part, and have a soft black top with a sort of vaguely cowl shaped neckline that might almost be a gesture to the 30s, but is really pretty contemporary. My makeup is straightforward foundation, eyeliner, cream blush and a fairly neutral lipstick. My necklace is by a modern designer who looks to the Victorian and Edwardian period for inspiration - not the Deco period. My bangs are not brushed straight down today, but off to the side. One reason I love the 20s dutch doll bob is that it's so simple and manageable - which is what the girls of the period loved about it too!

I admire those on the board who do dress vintage every day - particularly those women who have beautifully intricate hair and makeup. They're staggeringly stylish and knowledgeable. I know its not for me, though, and just as I don't feel obliged to dress in a contemporary fashion, I don't feel inclined to dress to the 20s every day either. I read with tremendous interest what these members have to write, though - they are generous with what they know, and their enthusiasm is inspirational.

We all love an appreciate elements of another age in different ways. One of the things I love about this board is that it has educated me in areas where my knowledge is weak - music and film, for example, where there are huge gaps in what I know.

koopkooper

Practically Family
Sometimes I feel like commiting fraud!!!

Nah don't feel that way, however I would encourage you to start shopping around for clothes, bric a brac and what not. Afterall you've got the best teachers here. When I first got into fifties clothing and cars and what not I had nobody to help me, like most of us I read a lot, watch movies and docos and started looking for vintage or atleast vintage inspired clothes.

When I look back at old photos I got it wrong very often, but I was heading in the right direction. Be bold.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I've only felt like a fraud once, when I wore a tuxedo. Nasty little story therein I shan't recall.
And I must admit that sometimes the lack of real vintage pieces in my wardrobe gives me a sort of "not member of the club" sensation over here. That's why I seldom post in the wardrobe departments.

Kimberly

Practically Family
koopkooper said:
Sometimes I feel like commiting fraud!!!

Nah don't feel that way, however I would encourage you to start shopping around for clothes, bric a brac and what not. Afterall you've got the best teachers here. When I first got into fifties clothing and cars and what not I had nobody to help me, like most of us I read a lot, watch movies and docos and started looking for vintage or atleast vintage inspired clothes.

When I look back at old photos I got it wrong very often, but I was heading in the right direction. Be bold.

Excellent suggestion. I get most of my vintage clothes and furntiure from thrifts, yard/estate sales, etc.

You really don't have to spend a lot to buy vintage, you just have to spend wisely. Start off with a couple of really good pieces that fit your style (I have an obsession with suits and those were my first pieces) and then I built it around that and now I am onto other things. It has taken me 3 or 4 years to get the collection I have now.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
A fraud? No way. How can you say that?
Yes, clothes is the most important and lovely part of "vintage" but also there was music and art and social habits and a million other things that went along with that...
No way a fraud.
Vintage is also loving and yearning for the past in your heart Tinseltown :D

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
Tinseltown said:
I sometimes feel like a fraud when I see pictures of all of you.
I don't own a single vintage clothing item. :eek:
BUT... I do love the style, hair, makeup, cars, art etc from the golden era... I could study costume/fashion history books and sites.
One of my biggest material dreams is to get a 50's car.
But still I feel like a fraud because I don't dress vintage.
I am attracted to clothes that are 50's style and I am always on the hunt for a good red lippie and nailpolish.

I don't dress vintage either. In fact the only true vintage things I have are some of my grandmothers jewelry, and I've never worn a bit of it!! I dress more in a "rockabilly" style then vintage because I'm very tall and haven't found anything vintage that fits me right. (Mostly I look like I'm waiting for a flood, LOL!!) But I am on the hunt for some vintage or vintage inspired pieces......

But if you ever make over here to the states, San Diego in particular, I'd be happy to cruise you around in my 50's car!!

Am I an Outright Fraud?!

I happen to wear a 50 regular suit and the likelyhood of finding vintage then is small, not impossible but (dare I say it?) SLIM! But I try to get some things to be vintage inspired. Now luckily I wear a 7-1/8th size hat and that you can find vintage examples regualrly. If fact, at a rate that could ruin my budget inside of a couple of weeks. So that is where I can be vintage as well as selective or adventuresome. I would love a vintage auto but it ain't happening short of a lotto hit in the near future.

But we all can share ideas, and educate each other, share what we know and hopefully even influence the clothing manufacturer's to be more vintage. We have a Magazine now, Classic Style and advertisers that are trying to respond to the concerns of those vintage buffs that populate this and other vitage scenes.

Movies of the vintage era and from the vintage era continue to enjoy great popularity, so i think we are on the cusp of a great revival of style and grace not seen in over 40 years.

Best wishes,

lindylady

A-List Customer
I think it's a process of picking and choosing. You decide how much you want to delve into the vintage lifestyle. Some of us found the Lounge simply by the fact that we like old movies, glamorous stars, or jazz music. The best part about the Fedora Lounge is how accomodating it is. You don't have to know a lot or be dressed to the nines to call yourself a vintage afficiando. Just have fun :)

Brooksie

One Too Many
Awww Tinse... don't feel this way! You have vintage in your heart in soul just like the rest of us and we all can express our love for vintage in different ways, some is with music choices, some with what they drive and others with what they wear.

Everyday I go to work and I wear the same thing day in day out and it is the same thing all of my co-workers wear because we have a dress code (jeans and T'shirt) imagine being a vintage clothing lovin gal and having to wear jeans and the same T-shirt all of your co-workers are wearing:eek: and trying to find ways look individual. On my day off I have been trying to do a little vintage here and there but I live in a very casual small town so I usually end up wearing rolled jeans, flats or converse and a fifty's style cardigan and I almost always have a small chiffon neck scarf on (it is kind of my trademark)which really lends a 50's look to it all. Then I save my real vintage for a fancier monthly outing.

Brooksie

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
ooohh I thought that this was such a wonderful thread.
This thread just goes to shoe the type of people that are here on this forum, and I think it would be nice for a lot of the new people joining to see it.

I think we have all felt this way sometime or another in any givin point in our lives. But in referring to this forum and going back to my cosmic law theory of "Likes attract Likes"...we are all here for a reason and this forum brought us together.

We learn from each other and help each other if we can.

I can't dress vintage everyday. I don't have the 2 hours extra everyday to get the hair and makeup done. I hardly ever wear makeup to the office.
(How's that saying go about a wasted day of makeup)

My friends bust on me saying I dress like a sexy librarian...I personally think I am more old-lady like with a little pizzazz. lol

I love dresses and skirts and put my hair up in a bun half the time.
If I don't have anything special going on, it's shorts and a tank top in the summer, and jeans and a sweater in the winter.

But I do love "dressing up" when I have the time and the opporunity to do so.

So, if any of the new people joining feel that you don't have the collections of vintage, or have anything to contribute, please don't feel that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe