Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feeling like a fraud?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I sometimes feel like a fraud when I see pictures of all of you.
I don't own a single vintage clothing item. :eek:
BUT... I do love the style, hair, makeup, cars, art etc from the golden era... I could study costume/fashion history books and sites.
One of my biggest material dreams is to get a 50's car.
But still I feel like a fraud because I don't dress vintage.
I am attracted to clothes that are 50's style and I am always on the hunt for a good red lippie and nailpolish.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tinseltown said:
I sometimes feel like a fraud when I see pictures of all of you.
I don't own a single vintage clothing item. :eek:
BUT... I do love the style, hair, makeup, cars, art etc from the golden era... I could study costume/fashion history books and sites.
One of my biggest material dreams is to get a 50's car.
But still I feel like a fraud because I don't dress vintage.
I am attracted to clothes that are 50's style and I am always on the hunt for a good red lippie and nailpolish.

Please try not to feel this way.

A few things to remember here, about the Lounge.

1. The people that post pictures are a -fraction- of the membership. I would wager that the rest of us, don't dress vintage or vintage inspired every day. I know I don't.

1a. No one posts their -worst- pictures here. Those days the hair doesn't turn out, or a picture makes one look fat......well I doubt those make it here.

2. This is a place for those who share an 'interest' in the golden era....which you do. So you are no fraud, and fit in here perfectly.

3. Quite a few of us started buying vintage clothes -after- being a member here a while. The Lounge is a very bad influence on one's budget.

I see picture posting as a part of the reason for the lounge to exist. It's got nothing to do with brownie points or anything along those lines. I see it as more of an educational excercise than anything else - i know this is how others of the prolific picture posters see it. Since i have gained knowledge through my collecting, and others here are interested in knowing about these things, it would be silly not to spread the knowledge.

I know people are interested to see what was around back then - in terms of styles, fabrics etc. I've been lucky enough to stumble onto a lot of nice vintage menswear that fits so i mostly wear vintage. I enjoy letting others see what i've come across.

No-one should feel in any way uncomfortable for not doing as someone else does in terms of dress.

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tinseltown, you are NOT a fraud. :)

A fraud is someone who prattles endlessly on about exactly where, how, and when this-or-that must or must be worn, done, etc. ... yet this same "expert" doesn't own a stitch of the clothing he/she "requires" the rest of us to wear, nor does he/she faithfully follow his/her own "rules."

Now THAT is a fraud! :mad:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
I see [picture-posting] as more of an educational exercise than anything else - i know this is how others of the prolific picture posters see it.

And that's exactly why I do it. It's a very strong desire -- no, a compulsion -- to share the goodies with everyone, so that we can have fun together. It's gratitude for learning so much from others, and wanting to return the favor whenever possible.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I did not mean to imply that people posted pictures for any particular reason other then to share and educate.

I merely meant that if -all- one sees of someone is pictures posted here, they never see anything less then the best of that person. Much like Movie stars, at least in the Golden Era....who were never really seen looking -bad-......none of us posts ourselves looking dreadful....

It's easy to forget that everyone is real people who sometimes also go to work looking less then picture perfect.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The only way to be a fraud on this board would be to misrepresent yourself, and even at that, only you would know about it. There really are no rules to what you must be or share here; you may share what you like and take what you like. All are welcome, all opinions are respected, and whatever your level of involvement in the vintage lifestyle, it is your interest and affection for the subjects here that make you welcome. :)

I didn't read anything into miss neecerie's post. I was replying entirely to the first post.

(i'm smoking pure unfiltered cuban tobacco, if ye must know)

I agree, that most of the pics of myself get rejected at the first viewing. If you could see the mess my hair's in today you'd cry for me . . . Ahh, vanity, you're a harsh mistress.

bk

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Tinsel,

I know how you feel. I often feel under-educated. Many of the people here are highly intelligent and very passionate about their subjects of interest.

I, on the other hand, don't know much about movies at all let alone old ones. I like to read, but nothing very intellectual or avant-garde. I like Roman history, and I am beginning to like Greek history, but I don't know enough to talk about it. I don't own vintage clothing and I am terrible with my hair. I don't like antiques; I much prefer modern furniture and lots of stainless steel.

I don't post on threads outside the PW because I feel like such a lightweight. I don't have much to contribute, and I am afraid I will just end up looking stupid. At least I can give an occasional tip about beauty things. I don't have a single thing to offer about music, clothing, literature, movies, architecture, etc.

-BUT-
Like Miss Neecerie said, there are a lot of different lifestyles here, and many of them are not vintage 24/7. Having an interest is sufficient for us to be a part of the community. Don't feel bad, a lot of us are in the same boat :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
"(i'm smoking pure unfiltered cuban tobacco, if ye must know)" - The Baron.

Me too!!!! (Maybe thats the only thing we have in common...eh?)

Tinseltown, I do believe 60% of us all here (at least 60%) do not dress vintage. Some may never do it. Some does it part of the time - others just dream about it. And that's perfectly OK.
I know I am only here for the flying and the flyboys. That's why I entered this great lounge the first place. But then you realise - little by little - that you share a lot of other interests with your fellow loungers. It may be movies, music....or even...Cigars.:)

manton

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
And all of us are. We're here to, among other things, become more educated. I knew literally nothing about hats a year and a half ago. The FL has been a great teacher.

I learned from Matt Deckard that my one Locke hat $uck$. :(

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
"(i'm smoking pure unfiltered cuban tobacco, if ye must know)" - The Baron.

Me too. Maybe thats the only thing we have in common...eh.
Tinseltown, I do believe 60% of us all here (at least 60%) do not dress vintage. Some may never do it. Some does it part of the time - others just dream about it. And thats perfectly OK.
I know I am only here for the flying. That's why I entered this great lounge. But then you realise - little by little - that you share a lot of other interests with your fellow loungers. It may be movies, music....or even...Cigars.:)
Now I feel better! :D
Btw, Go read the Dane-thread. ;)

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Much like the "real world," there are always going to be those with more expertise in any of your interests. They have spent more years researching the topics -- possibly at the sacrifice of other areas of their lives. No matter how fanatical you become, there will be a bigger fanatic! We can feel crushed, overwhelmed and ultimately defeated by their immense knowledge, or we can glean insight from their years of toiling.

Before I came to the lounge, I owned no vintage clothing. Since joining, I have obtained a pile of hats, some ties, shoes and a couple suits. Does this compare to those who've been fascinated with vintage clothes for decades? Of course not!

One dress at a time, one hat at a time, one pair of stockings at a time, one day at a time. Years from now maybe you'll be looked at with the same awe as you do some of the vintage connoisseurs here today.

Matt

Feraud

Bartender
Cacklewack said:
Much like the "real world," there are always going to be those with more expertise in any of your interests.
Unlike the real world, our experts do not ask anything in return for the appraisal.
Our members are composed of a diverse and generous bunch of individuals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe