Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras & facial hair: are they mortal enemies?

pipefan413

New in Town
I recently posted a version of this question on Reddit, only to be bombarded with people ignoring my question and only insisting that I shouldn't ever wear a fedora because they are terrible, always. Obviously, I refuse to accept this. I've had nothing but positive feedback from those who have actually seen me wearing one (which none of these Redditors have, incidentally) and even if that wasn't the case, I like them too damn much to care either way.

The question is, can a beard really work with a fedora? Specifically, a black or grey felt with a front-down brim (it's supposed to be a "Bogart", despite the front crease being totally wrong compared to anything I've seen Bogart wearing, but I digress). I've rather let myself go recently, frankly, and the face-fuzz has gotten prevalent enough that I'm considering riding it out and attempting to sculpt out some sort of more reasonable beard. However, if it's a case of hat vs. beard, there's only going to be one winner. So can the two coexist peacefully, or do you reckon it's a match made in hell? Here's a fairly horrendous 5am photo of the untamed monstrosity currently living on my face, for reference...

N.B. I know the fedora itself isn't the best, but I'm limited by living in Scotland and being a broke student. I do want to do something about that ridiculously wide front, though. EDIT: I seem to have sorted that with a decent front pinch. Hooray!

By the way, I have read over the guidelines and such, but this is still my first post - so please be gentle if I've overlooked something and posted incorrectly! EDIT: I didn't think this really fit in the moustache thread, since I'm talking about more than just a tache: I think those can work quite well with a hat, but I'm not sure about an accompanying beard.

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
My personal view - as a frequently bearded hat-lover - is that it's a much more difficult question than it ought to be. Historically the fedora intersects with an almost complete embargo on beards (so much so that an old and dear friend of mine, resolutely bearded in the 1940s, remembered being followed by kids in the street and taunted just for his facial hair) so in a way they're designed for a certain kind of face. Moustaches, yes - especially with trilbies for the retired-colonel-at-the-races look. The very early (late 19th Century) fedora-esque hat with high, tapered crown and broad floppy brim can work with a beard, but the beard itself needs to be full and sculpted...

Homburgs, on the other hand, come from a bearded era and look great with beards. And it also depends what else you're wearing... Sheesh. Perhaps I've been thinking about this too much...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's just a hat. Unless you're in costume, it's just another part of your wardrobe and should be treated as such.
Wear the hat- don't let the hat wear you.

pipefan413

New in Town
My personal view - as a frequently bearded hat-lover - is that it's a much more difficult question than it ought to be. Historically the fedora intersects with an almost complete embargo on beards (so much so that an old and dear friend of mine, resolutely bearded in the 1940s, remembered being followed by kids in the street and taunted just for his facial hair) so in a way they're designed for a certain kind of face. Moustaches, yes - especially with trilbies for the retired-colonel-at-the-races look. The very early (late 19th Century) fedora-esque hat with high, tapered crown and broad floppy brim can work with a beard, but the beard itself needs to be full and sculpted...

Homburgs, on the other hand, come from a bearded era and look great with beards. And it also depends what else you're wearing... Sheesh. Perhaps I've been thinking about this too much...

Maybe you have, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about these things. I'm thinking full beard, kept as tidy as possible. Suppose I'll see how it goes for a while and scrap it if I just look stereotypically homeless/drunk...

Thanks for the info!

m0nk

One Too Many
There are quite a few folks on here that have facial hair, and at times I let mine grow out (though lately with more grey than anything, I'd rather keep it clean shaven). As the others said, you wear the hat. I believe that some hats look good with and some look good without, but ultimately, each individual needs to determine what works best for them.... just as certain hats work on certain head shapes.

pipefan413

New in Town
I would think there would be more replies if posted in the Hat forum. There was just a discussion on this topic last week.

Growing-a-beard-just-to-wear-a-fedora

Ah, yes, I only spotted that after I'd posted. Didn't think to check in the hat section originally because I was thinking of it more in terms of the beardage, hence thought it belonged elsewhere. Apologies!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

You appear to be rather young. I'll make a suggestion that worked for me and a neighbor years ago. Let the beard grow for a few days (Thursday through Sunday, shave on Monday), and then cut it. It has been my experience that growing and shaving repeat for a few months, makes your facial hair grow in more thickly (if that's what you're after). We had a kid in my class, who let his peach fuzz grow since 8th grade and Senior year it was still peach fuzz. But he had NEVER cut if off. I haven't seen him since so I'm curious.

Wear what you want to wear, fedoras are nice. I suggest that you read up on them on this site, there's a LOT of information. One thing you will want to consider is that you live in Scotland, where I believe it's wet. I'd save up and get a fur felt hat instead of wool. They shrink somewhat less than wool in the rain, and that's one of the reasons for wearing a fedora is to keep the sun and rain off your face, especially your glasses (in my case).

Later

Last edited:

pipefan413

New in Town
Hi

You appear to be rather young. I'll make a suggestion that worked for me and a neighbor years ago. Let the beard grow for a few days (Thursday through Sunday, shave on Monday), and then cut it. It has been my experience that growing and shaving repeat for a few months, makes your facial hair grow in more thickly (if that's what you're after). We had a kid in my class, who let his peach fuzz grow since 8th grade and Senior year it was still peach fuzz. But he had NEVER cut if off. I haven't seen him since so I'm curious.

Wear what you want to wear, fedoras are nice. I suggest that you read up on them on this site, there's a LOT of information. One thing you will want to consider is that you live in Scotland, where I believe it's wet. I'd save up and get a fur felt hat instead of wool. They shrink somewhat less than wool in the rain, and that's one of the reasons for wearing a fedora is to keep the sun and rain off your face, especially your glasses (in my case).

Later

You're right, I'm 21. I've heard similar stories from a few folk w.r.t. the bumfluff vs. manbeard thing. I actually don't seem to have a huge amount of difficulty with the thickness, but I have this continuing issue with white/blond hairs in amongst the dark. I'm not sure, but I suspect it's something to do with the fact my hair used to be very pale blond, then turned brown of its own accord. The white hair isn't any fluffier than the rest, or anything. I grew a reasonably bushy beard when I was 17 and one day - to my horror - a guy I'd worked with for 8 months revealed that he'd thought I was older than him the entire time. He was 28. :eeek:

I've actually used this site a reasonable amount for fedora research in the past, I've just never posted! The hat in that photo is fur felt, which was something I learned from TFL; my first one was a cheap-as-possible woolen Jaxon, but that thing is pretty terrible. I'm pretty happy with the grey Christys one in the photo now I've given it a better crease in the front. The only thing I'm not entirely content about is the angle of the brim on the front end: I can't seem to figure out a way to give it a sharp angle from the 1/3 to halfway point, only closer to the front, where the brim meets the crown. And that doesn't look all that great, necessarily. Still, it's a huge step up from the fuzzy old floppy Jaxon... Funnily enough, it was a whole lot less floppy when I bought it, but it's not taken the rain well - as you rightly mention.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
I would say that it is important that the beard be neatly-trimmed.
Otherwise one runs the risk of the "down and out" appearance from the depression era.

dnjan

One Too Many
Well, for one, don't have a "fade-out" at the edges. Trim the edges up sharp.
And neck-hair (under the chin) tends to add to the un-kempt appearance for many people.

Admittedly, sometimes it takes a while for the facial hair to come in strongly enough to accomplish the above.
But for starters, removing the "straglers" can help.

pipefan413

New in Town
Well, for one, don't have a "fade-out" at the edges. Trim the edges up sharp.
And neck-hair (under the chin) tends to add to the un-kempt appearance for many people.

Yeah, those are both things I'm doing now. What I mean, mainly, is:

* I have a lot of blond/white hairs that are slightly jarring; not fluffy or anything, hard like the dark hair (I've always had this)
* Unless it's properly long, it seems to grow at any old angle, so I get crazy spikes all over the place...

Last edited:

nihil

One of the Regulars
It's very easy once you get the knack of it.
I got a 'friendly face' and when I worked as an army NCO, I decided to grow a beard to look more fierce. I was older than most of the conscripts we trained, so it wasn't because I wanted to look older.
What I did (and still do), is to let it grow, then trim it to a specific length once a week. In my case 1 or 2 mm depending on mood. The trimmed length really helps making it looking very planned and 'professional', and not just hobo-from-the-street. Another very important thing, is to have a well defined edge on your neck/chin or how you decide to end the beard.

I decided to keep the beard because, even with the daily trimming of the neck and weekly trim of the length, it's much less labor intensive than the daily shave. But I also got a quite strong beard that grow fast, making the daily shaves a must.

I got no problem with wearing fedoras while having a beard, but I must admit that it's not optimum when wearing a suit as well. It's not 'formal' enough for my own taste. Therefore I'm personally considering if I should lose the beard again. I guess laziness is going to win for the foreseeable future ^_^

As a side note. The idea that hair grow back stronger after each shave, is a myth. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-removal/an00638).

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Two things to consider: 1. The beard will grow back, so you are able to try different styles and your tastes may change. 2. You have your own style, enjoy it. I sport a Van Dyke and wear my fedora or cowboy hat or flat leather driving cap as the mood strikes me and what the weather is doing. PS, don't worry about the beard getting thicker, believe me it will, I wish it wasn't so as I have had to shave since I was 13.

pipvh

Practically Family
This is true. You've got a lifetime of mucking around with your beard/no beard beard/no beard conundrum. I'd recommend letting the whole thing really grow out for as long as you can stand it, seeing what you look like with a proper, full beard - how the hair grows, where it's thickest etc - and then just have fun with it. And if you don't like the results, start all over again. We're stuck with facial hair, so we might as well enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe