Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedorafest III Stratoliner from Stetson

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrowjh

One Too Many
In agreement with Monbla256's post 211, we won't see anything else if this first attempt does not work out, just pragmatic common sense. Some of the relatives I've gifted with cleaned-up vintage hats might be stunned to own an honest-to-pete new Stetson, so I'll buy at least one.

Link

One of the Regulars
I'm sure I'll buy at least one for myself in 7 1/8. I have been thinking about getting one for my grandfather if it is available in a 7 LO. I am sure my son will want one, but that will depend on the price since he will outgrow it.

Remember, Stetson or HatCo does not offer different Ovals anymore, haven't for years now. This hat fit my LO noggin better than any other modern Stetson that I have owned or tried on = better than the Roadmaster, the other modern Stratoliner, 2 Pinnacles & a late 1980s modern Open Road & the countless hats I tried on at the Outlet Store.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
I suspect he is referring to the difficulty faced by Major Moore in getting both sides to the table; to get consistent quality, the right style and price point coming from Hatco - matching up across the table with - a lot of interest appearing here, but is it genuine (will we 'show him the money')? Tough spot for the Major if either side of the table doesn't perform!

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I am actually a bit suprised at Hatco's willingness. I am shocked that they would take more than 2 prototype negatives before they call the whole thing off. Im not a fan of silverbelly, but I will be buying one of these hats.

scooter

Practically Family
I do not know this, but I surmise that RBH is referring to the fact the we all seem to want JUST a little more. I am not pointing fingers, just illustrating my point, one wants a LO, one wants a wind trolley, one wants a liner, another doesn't want the liner, someone else prefers a color other than silverbelly. Kinda making it hard on the guys who are trying to engineer this in conjunction with Hatco. They can't please everyone, and it sometimes starts to look like they can't please anyone. I, for one, am pleased with the hat in all respects and can't wait to get my hands on my own. It is a beauty, and rather than kibbutz constantly, let's just be patient and say thank you for all the effort they are putting in. I am not throwing stones at anyone, we are all knowledgeable to one degree or the other, but someone has to make the call on what is to be included and what isn't.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
At some point in time, I would almost certainly grab one. My budget may not allow me to be among the initial purchasers. I too would like to express gratitude to all involved in this project.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Man.. I can almost understand why this wont work....

I run a very large forum myself and know what bickering can do to a thread or a great idea. It might be time to put this one to bed, leave all the great ideas floating around for the Major to look at and when it's time to sell the hat just put up a new "order" thread so that we can get our wonderful hats on the way.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I'd hardly call this bickering. Tossing out non-binding ideas does no harm as I yet to see anyone say they won't buy this hat as is. Actually it seems to be universely embraced. I like seeing ideas tossed around since it keeps this thread at the top and makes it easier to wait for the hat. And lets be honest we toss around ideas but a few seasoned hat guys make the final decision and they will ultimately greenlight a hat that will be embraced by most, if not all of us. This has been a labor of love and this thread and the efforts of Rusty, Mike, Matt, and the rest are proof of that.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Amen, Bart!!! I fully agree! This is a FORUM, people. Where many people from all walks of life get together an have DISCUSSIONS, not bickering sessions. I have seen no arguing in this thread. Everyone has been civil and the ideas have been flowing because of everyone's excitement for the hat. That's a major compliment in itself. The ideas should keep flowing because that's how projects like this one gets started. If not for a few guys getting together and tossing out ideas, none of us would be getting a new Stetson Strat. The only reason that I put in my two cents into anything in this thread was because its my hope that the Major and Stetson will have such a positive response, and sell so many Strats, that the Stetson higher ups will take notice and possibly read through this thread for ideas. If this does happen, it will be beneficial for everyone that wants to see Stetson become a company that can produce a "vintage quality" product.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
If this is bickering, you dont want to read some of the all out war threads I have seen on group buys. It had just sounded like ideas bouncing back and forth. I was wondering why he said it might not happen.

scooter

Practically Family
I never accused anyone of bickering, and I clearly stated that I was "surmising" what point RBH was trying to make. I could be completely wrong, but even I have noted that, as is customary, EVERYONE has a differing opinion. You know, they didn't coin the old adage "Too many chefs spoil the stew", without good reason.

RBH

Bartender
I suspect he is referring to the difficulty faced by Major Moore in getting both sides to the table; to get consistent quality, the right style and price point coming from Hatco - matching up across the table with - a lot of interest appearing here, but is it genuine (will we 'show him the money')? Tough spot for the Major if either side of the table doesn't perform!

No harm meant to anyone but John summed it up best.
I so want this to work.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think the decisions made so far are great. The Strat is a popular style so using that as the basis of the new hat will work for a lot of people.

Of course, everyone has their favorite colour, but Silverbelly is really versatile and I bet it is in a ton of people's top 5.

Let's face, if we want to have a hat to our exact specification, all we have to do is contact Major Moore, Art, TonyB or one of the other custom hat makers and our wish will be granted.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Oh, I wasn't accusing anyone of being out of line and the bickering comment was just referring to all the different ideas, not actually arguing. It's just that we have two guys basically responsible for everything and they have pretty much everything they need to get the ball rolling. Get me a 7 1/2 LO (or I'll LO it myself) in Silver Belly with a Liner and I'm in. This hat is gonna sell out no matter what the Major and the Co. does. This is gonna be a special one time run of the "Fedora Lounge Strat." Everything after it will be great but not as special as the first one. It's got to be stressful on the two of them trying not to disappoint the members here and still get what they want at the price that they want and the quality that we demand!

You guys are doing a great job. We really appreciate all the work you have put in to this.

We all have "wish lists", and I think some of the ideas put forth are just that. It's getting harder to find good quality vintage hats for a reasonable price, especially in certain sizes. This new Strat is just an example of a hatmaker taking ideas from a group of folks who have extensive combined experience with hats, and a request to re-create a new version of a favored vintage style. Who knows, if it works out, and the general public gains interest Hatco may start a whole new line of "vintage" styles.

If not, what the heck? We have a very nice hat for a reasonable price that looks like the classic Stratoliner many of us like so much. Keep up the good work, guys!

MCrider

A-List Customer
I think the decisions made so far are great. The Strat is a popular style so using that as the basis of the new hat will work for a lot of people.

I second (or third, fourth, fifth) that. I think it's going to be a wonderful hat that anyone who buys is going to count among their favorites. I'm just hoping the price doesn't take it out of my league...

Having said that, here's some changes I'd like to see incorporated into this hat...

Just kidding.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe