Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora hats in larger sizes?

Man of Vintage

A-List Customer
I do not yet own one single fedora, but am actively looking for my first acquisition... The problem is, I seem to have a big noggin'...just measured the circuference above my ears and got approx. 24". I believe that would come out to a 7 5/8 in hat sizes. I've been doing some brief searches on the bay and noticed it might be hard to find my size in a style I like. Is it just because they didn't make many in the larger sizes? I'm stumped..:eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
Larger prices command a premium. Diligence is the key when searching on Ebay. Options include posting a "WTB" in the Lounge classifieds and looking into one of our local hatters.
Guys like TonyB and Art Fawcett can create a fedora to your exact specifications.

frussell

One Too Many
7 5/8 is not that big really. You can still find most factory made hats, and there are lots of options on eBay. Once you make the step to 7 3/4 or above, the prices really seem to jump. I'm most comfortable in a 7 7/8, and not only is that nearly impossible to find in vintage, when I do find one, I'm battling the other few largeheads out there that will pay a premium for any hat in our size. You're still within most online hat sites' non-special order range. Frank

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I do not yet own one single fedora, but am actively looking for my first acquisition... The problem is, I seem to have a big noggin'...just measured the circuference above my ears and got approx. 24". I believe that would come out to a 7 5/8 in hat sizes. I've been doing some brief searches on the bay and noticed it might be hard to find my size in a style I like. Is it just because they didn't make many in the larger sizes? I'm stumped..:eusa_doh:

You probably will find more styles available with a modern factory made hat from one of the on-line and brick-n-mortar stores. Two examples of traditinal Fedora styles offered by one of the better factory hatters, Akubra, come to mind in your size. David Morgan up in Seattle and John Helmer in Portland carry them. They are the Stylemaster and Sydney models made in Australia. Check 'em out as well as Stetson makes many and are available from many on-line retailers. 7 5/8 is a large size but not that big but will pose more problems finding Vintage than new.

Man of Vintage

A-List Customer
Thanks guys for all the advice. I've been thinking of going the modern route, but I can't convince myself to not go vintage. I guess I'll just have keep on truckin until I find a style I like in my size. If anyone here on the lounge has a 7 5/8 vintage fedora they might be interested to sell, shoot me a pm.

You're the same size as me & a few others around here. I look for vintage on the bay from 7 3/4 to 7 1/2. Vintage 7 1/2 LO or Wide Ovals can work a lot of times. They are out there. Welcome to the hunt. There are some 61cm, 7 5/8 in classifieds too.

Man of Vintage

A-List Customer
You're the same size as me & a few others around here. I look for vintage on the bay from 7 3/4 to 7 1/2. Vintage 7 1/2 LO or Wide Ovals can work a lot of times. They are out there. Welcome to the hunt. There are some 61cm, 7 5/8 in classifieds too.

Dean, thanks for that info...I'll keep that in mind during my searches.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I think most of the good hat sites on the web carry through 7 5/8
I just checked Village Hat Shop ... just a quick peek, understand ... and they had several styles that were sized up to 7 7/8
For $34 you can get their wool felt fedora and for under $100 they have a fur felt fedora.

Sam

Wojo

Familiar Face
A 7 5/8 shouldn't be much of a problem. I have an 8 1/32 and in all my searching I see plenty in your size. I also live in NW Indiana, take a ride into Chicago to Hats Plus Ltd. on Irving Park Road. The owner is also cranially endowed and stocks many large hat sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe