Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feather in the band of a Panama?

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Three of my fedoras sport feathers. Three others don't.

But now I'm wondering about adding one to the Diamante straw fedora I got from Panama Bob. Are feathers totally unheard of in Panama hats?

Your thoughts?

Fedoraphile

GWD

One Too Many
I don't know if there are any rules for Panamas vs Felt. If you think it looks good, go fer it! I have only one hat that I've kept a feather in and it's very sutble.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There was another thread on just this question recently. A lot of guys came down very strongly against. A couple said they yanked the feather out of their Panama as soon as they got them. Me, personally, I took the little blue jay tail feather that I found on the ground out of my old Panama, and stuck it in my new PanamBob one. Just a single blue jay feather. I like it.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
I like a feather on my hat, but only if it's subtle, nothing too large, just a small sophisticated dash of colour.
So yes, by all means do.
A Panama and colourful feathers of tropical (non-endangered!) birds IMHO seem to go together well if you don't "pimp" it too much ;)

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
No rules, just right!

Fashion rules are for those who lack the confidence and fashion sense to craft their own individual style. If you like the look of a feather in your Panama, by all means wear it that way. If you don't, then remove it. Never bow to anyone else who attempts to make you feel less than who you are for what you like.

Having said that, let me contradict myself a bit with some of my personal fashion pet peeves:
1) Short pants are never appropriate on men for dinner in a nice restaurant. I'm not talking Chilis or TGI Fridays. In general, if there is a table cloth on the table, you should be wearing pants.
2) Undershirts are aptly named as they are intended to we worn UNDER something else.
3) Unless you are a prophet, leave the sandals at home. Guys, there is nothing attractive about your feet. Cover those things up. If you do feel compelled to wear sandals, at least paint your toenails.

Actually, these are probably covered by the "fashion sense" clause.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
ScottyBlues said:
Unless you are a prophet, leave the sandals at home. Guys, there is nothing attractive about your feet. Cover those things up.
Great I see a complaint coming because I will now use this one at work...:eusa_doh:

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Here I thought table cloths were for hiding the fact you forgot to wear pants or paint your toenails...:D :eek: :D

...and no...I don't wear a feather in either of my panamas...though I do change the ribbons around on occasion.

Fedoraphile

New in Town
Well, I did it. Plucked a feather from another fedora and stuck it in the band of my Panama Bob Diamante. Gotta say it looks even sportier than when I got it.

Fedoraphile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe