Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite cars of the golden era

johnnydnh

Familiar Face
Thanks for the welcome!

You are correct, that is Franchot Tone, a very under appreciated leading man from the 30's. I am sure that he would be the last one to complain considering some of the beauties that he was able to work opposite. Nice work if you can get it.

I've always been an Oldsmobile man as was my father. He had a 52 98 and a 55 Super 88 that he used to rave about. My first car that I purchased was a 1971 442 back in 1980. I still own it. My very first brand new purchase was an Olds as well. The last 5 years or so I have been really wanting an older car. My tastes have fluctuated from the late 30's Buick coupes to the 1949 Cadillac before finally settling on the 1949-53 Oldsmobiles. Having said that, unlike the more recent years, say 1955 and on, I appreciate almost all of the cars from the earlier era. I can find something to like about just about any of them. I am particularly impressed with Wild Root's decision to use his vintage Plymouth as his daily driver and look forward to hearing of his experiences. Although, I am basically a purist when it comes to keeping the old cars original, I am thinking that a switch over to 12 volt electrical (GM prior to 1952) and a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion (done in such a way that it is entirely invisible unless the distributor cap is removed) can only be considered good things. I also plan to hook up either a hard drive based Mp3 player or a multi-disc Mp3 CD changer in the trunk and run it through the original radio either by a modulator or line out/in. I have a ton of OTR and music from the 1920s through 1950s.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
As far as cars are concerned, I love pretty much every model from the late pre-war days. However, my absolute favourite has to be this one:

39fordconv.jpg

The car that stole the show at the '39 World's Fair. (Or so does the scale model's ad proclaims.)

And the Captain's post makes me wonder... what was the smell of a new car like back then? I'm sure it was nothing like in today's plastic-loaded vehicles.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this car was mentioned... I didn't read the entire thread just yet... I will go back. :) I know my dream car is a '48 Buick Roadmaster convertable.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lolita said it all

LolitaHaze said:
I don't know if this car was mentioned... I didn't read the entire thread just yet... I will go back. :) I know my dream car is a '48 Buick Roadmaster convertable.

I actually got to see one at one of the All American Car Shows a couple of years back. What a car!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I got to see one at a car show a few years back as well. I got my photo by it... I spotted it from across the field! :p
What I wouldn't have given to have $40,000.00 that day!

Ignore the dork face I have...

buick03.jpg

buick04.jpg

buick05.jpg

buick06.jpg

Benny Holiday said:
I actually got to see one at one of the All American Car Shows a couple of years back. What a car!

Wild Root

Gone Home
TOPPER!!!

After watching the 1937 movie “TOPPER” staring Cary Grant and Constance Bennett, I just adore the car they drove! I wish I could find a photo of it but, there isn’t any! So, who ever want to see the car from “TOPPER” just rent it and you’ll see what I mean!

=WR=

Benny Holiday

LolitaHaze said:
I got to see one at a car show a few years back as well. I got my photo by it... I spotted it from across the field! :p
What I wouldn't have given to have $40,000.00 that day!

Ignore the dork face I have...

No, that's not a dork face, that's the smile of a woman who has just espied her dream car! Great look Lolita, I love the dress, hat and shades. That Buick is definitely you.

Yeah, the question of how to come up with a cool 40 grand has run through my head at a few car shows over the years, too. Hey, I know, everyone says I dress like a gangster, so maybe . . . Nah, too many security cameras these days. Oh well, back to the drawing board.;)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hehehe That is true... I think I wanted to marry that car at that moment. lol Thank you.

If you are the gangster we could pull a Bonnie and Clyde gig. Of course I would have to shrink 8 inches and lose a lot of weight and then you would have to cut off your big toe, but I do know where the Piggly Wiggly in Kenosha, Wis is. Not too familiar with the ones in Texas... :D

Benny Holiday said:
No, that's not a dork face, that's the smile of a woman who has just espied her dream car! Great look Lolita, I love the dress, hat and shades. That Buick is definitely you.

Yeah, the question of how to come up with a cool 40 grand has run through my head at a few car shows over the years, too. Hey, I know, everyone says I dress like a gangster, so maybe . . . Nah, too many security cameras these days. Oh well, back to the drawing board.;)

Benny Holiday

LolitaHaze said:
If you are the gangster we could pull a Bonnie and Clyde gig. Of course I would have to shrink 8 inches and lose a lot of weight and then you would have to cut off your big toe, but I do know where the Piggly Wiggly in Kenosha, Wis is. Not too familiar with the ones in Texas... :D

Lolita, any man with eyes in his head can see you look more than perfect the way you are. She sure was a tiny girl, that Bonnie Parker. As for me, I like my big toe right where it is, too!lol

The Buick would make a fine gangstermobile, that's for sure. They were popular here in Australia in the 4o's with bookies, sharpies and the like, which is why I think I like them. I don't know how they fit into the U.S. market, but here they were (and are) seen as a cut above the Chevies and Fords and so on, just a tad under the Cadillac in the esteem of both hustlers and the general public.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I found one!!!

Here is the car I was speaking of! A 1936-37 Chrysler, I believe this car was custom made for the movie... Last I seen, Marc posted a link to what it looks like today... some time in the 50's it got a face lift to look 50's... for shame! [bad] To me, it's one of the most graceful of all cars in the movies... the fin is a little wild but, it grows on ya!

topper377dc.jpg

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld