Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
DerMann said:
What, not a fan of Oxford Bags?

They were very popular from the early thirties into the fourties. Not as offensive as say a Zoot Suit (another peeve I just thought of), maybe silly at worst.

DerMann, i found this 1948 photo... he is wearing a Zoot Suit, i know its not as outrageous as other Zoot Suits out there :p but still... i think that all considered, ZS are less offensive than Oxford Bags... well... this one at least! ;) What do you think?

51057856.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
donCarlos said:
As for the ladie´s clothing:
(snip)
- The shining things attached to clothes, imitating diamonds
(snip)

RHINESTONES? You can't stand RHINESTONES? Well, you can pry the rhinestones from my cold, dead hans because they are staying on any vintage dresses I find them on.

Other than that comment, I abstain from this thread. :p

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I don't necessarily have problems with any trend... Just when it's done wrong.

IMO- if you wear the right SIZE of jeans, no matter how loose or tight the leg fits, you won't get "muffin top" or "whale tail"

This also applies to skinny pants, leggings (ie- sausage casings), and half shirts that say "stop staring at my chest". I think designers need to put a size limit on some of these pieces because obviously THOSE girls are buying them w/o knowing any better!!

donCarlos

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
RHINESTONES? You can't stand RHINESTONES? Well, you can pry the rhinestones from my cold, dead hans because they are staying on any vintage dresses I find them on.

Other than that comment, I abstain from this thread. :p
I guess I explained it wrong. I was talking about the trimmings we can see on some designer clothes today, or whatever (I don´t have a clue, I just know that it really annoys me on the modern clothes). There´s nothing bad about them on vintage clothes!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
Yep, definitely NOT a Zoot suit. That's just a suit that's way too big for the wearer

What you say makes sense-but anyway-here is my reference

A gentleman in a zoot suit strides through New York's Tudor City, circa 1948. (Photo by FPG/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

The description, as did the previous photo, both came from the Hulton Getty Archives.
I'm confused! :eek: lol

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Hulton Getty is wrong.

While I will accept that zoot suits and oxford bags were in fact fads (although I like the look of both and I believe they have a lot more personality than the boring run of the mill Saville Row inspired stuff everybody loves), I refuse to believe that Hawaiian shirts or the denim look is faddish. This looks cool:
l_ae493fbbffee1bb4662ce1785f4b8df4.jpg

And so does this:
IMG_1041.JPG

YETI

A-List Customer
It's a box cut...

HadleyH said:
DerMann, i found this 1948 photo... he is wearing a Zoot Suit, i know its not as outrageous as other Zoot Suits out there :p but still... i think that all considered, ZS are less offensive than Oxford Bags... well... this one at least! ;) What do you think?

51057856.jpg
Although this looks a size or 2 too big. Me being a burly 46-48 suit, the late 40s - early 50s cut was tailor made.

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
resortes805 said:
Hulton Getty is wrong.

While I will accept that zoot suits and oxford bags were in fact fads (although I like the look of both and I believe they have a lot more personality than the boring run of the mill Saville Row inspired stuff everybody loves), I refuse to believe that Hawaiian shirts or the denim look is faddish. This looks cool:
l_ae493fbbffee1bb4662ce1785f4b8df4.jpg

And so does this:
IMG_1041.JPG
hey, that is Dj.Satoshi!!!:)

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
:eek: Just today I saw a gal on the bus on my way home from school..It was the worst thing ever. She was wearing black shinny leggings, that where connected over some hot pink stilletos, an aqua colored cardigan, and a purple belt!! it was just so wrong..I almost came to bealive she was blind before accepting the fact, that in her own little world, she felt she actually looked good...:eek: I know I was not the only one who noticed, since everyone else around me, seemed to be looking at her the same way as I was...but I just couldnt understand the whole concept of her outfit[huh]

DerMann

Practically Family
HadleyH said:

51057856.jpg

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on here, that's most likely not a Zoot Suit, as the trousers aren't big enough and most Zoots are single breasted and a lot longer.

This cartoon has a really good depiction of one of Donald Duck's relatives in a Zoot suit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gJ69X1qt4sQ

Also, Zoot suits are apparently worn by Nazi sympathisers...

I would really like a pair of Oxford bags, as I imagine they'd be exceptionally comfortable, if made in the right material.

DerMann said:
Also, Zoot suits are apparently worn by Nazi sympathisers...

What does that have to do with the price of fish?

Nothing like the fedora longe o make you feel bad about yourself lately. My tattoos are 'unladylike' & mean I'm pretty much scum, my skinny jeans are awful, my shorts/tights thing is the same, when I dress 'emo' (though I prefer scene as I most certainly don't have the emo attitude) I look like a fool.
m_fe2bb29a997cb388aa6f0732357bfd42.jpg

Cheers guys :D

Does anyone have a problem with scarves? Meaning;
m_1d5d3a089210d8dd92558a625617d027.jpg
or;
m_0e9aa4b2a1149e625a3d9a84424ef440.jpg

I'm off to throw away all my clothes now.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry flip flops haters, but I've uncovered pictorial proof that women were wearing them in 1960-61.
hb_jan_1960_pp_p49.jpg

More http://www.bernardofootwear.com/vintage_pages/harpers_bazaar_1960_&_1961.htm

Sorry about that. You may now commence with "but I only meant the UGLY flip flops." Well duh, no one likes the UGLY versions of otherwise ok trends.

Speaking of which, DJ Satoshi up there looks very cool. I suspect only Japanese guys can pull off the denim uniform - and even then only when it's MATCHING VINTAGE denim.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
not sure what the problem is......

I LOVE Flip -Flops !! :eek:

Here in sunny Caly-for-nee-uh (for you Ah-nold lovers ;) ), Im in shorts 8 months a year.
What the heck else do ya wear with shorts???

Girls: Keep paintin them toes (french tips are especially nice) and keep wearin them flip-flops !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe