Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Darhling said:
Extra low rise jeans on women (even tough I have been a serious offender, but I promise that is in the past).

Extra low jeans on ANYONE. As the old line goes, crack kills...

OK, a couple more - No visible spandex anywhere, ever.

Thongs - either type - never.

And just because it can stretch doesn't mean it should.

(Sorry...I couldn't resist....)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Caroline said:
In ladies fashion a few years ago, there was a big push for these odd, knee length "shorts" for the office, in tweeds and in suiting fabrics. You were supposed to wear them with tall boots. Yuck! I can't bring myself to find a photo of an example. In my head I called them "the new urban sombrero" ala Seinfeld. Happily, they are in the past for the most part.

Awww... I'm wearing those shorts right now! Hahahaha I do like the look for casual... not office. Sadly I am missing the tall boots though. I have a pair, but in metallic gold. I wore them as part of my She-Ra costume years ago.

YETI

A-List Customer
trucker caps and wearing rock t-shirts of bands they probably never heard of or know a single song from that band/artist...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Oxford Bags...

The 1920s is my favorite decade ever :eusa_clap :eusa_clap - but... i don't know... i think the general effect of these is hideous...

oxford_bags_1.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike in Seattle said:
Remind him the look just isn't him or looks ridiculous. Something like "You remember when your dad or grandfather used words like 'groovy' when you were 17 and you thought he looked and sounded ridiculous? That outfit on you is the visual equivalent." Or what I use now and then - "1972 called - they want the outfit back."
lol Thanks, friend. Hubby just turned 30 and has been feeling elderly for a long time. It's embarrassing when he wants to impress his teen friends by using teen words and dress.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
Awww... I'm wearing those shorts right now! Hahahaha I do like the look for casual... not office. Sadly I am missing the tall boots though. I have a pair, but in metallic gold. I wore them as part of my She-Ra costume years ago.

Nope - it only counts if you wear $500 knee high boots with it, and a downsizing attitude. You're oklol But seriously it's this odd zone, not quite short, not capri, I don't get it! I tried to keep it inside but this thread brought out the worst in me!

DerMann

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
The 1920s is my favorite decade ever :eusa_clap :eusa_clap - but... i don't know... i think the general effect of these is hideous...

oxford_bags_1.jpg
What, not a fan of Oxford Bags?

They were very popular from the early thirties into the fourties. Not as offensive as say a Zoot Suit (another peeve I just thought of), maybe silly at worst.

donCarlos

Practically Family
As for the ladie´s clothing:
- Flip-flops (they were practical and very cheap shoes for beach until the designers turned them to the thing we see now)
- Cropped jeans (I hope that´s the word, I mean the short ones which end by the half of the shank)
- The shining things attached to clothes, imitating diamonds
- And the winner for me is spandex of the same length as the above mentioned jeans with jeans miniskirt worn over it. Ideally combined with flip-flops :)

And as for the men´s clothing:
- All this hip-hop stuff, especially the caps with visor so large a helicopter can land on it. (However, we can see the historical inspiration, can´t we?)
- Cropped jeans (the same issue as above)
- Baseball cap in general, but especially with a hood worn over it
And that´s I think quite all I really hate on today´s streets. There are surely more things, but are not so inmportant.

And one story for the end: Last Friday I went to the bank (of course in a suit) and I didn´t realized they have the casual fridays. At first I thought it would be ok, but when I came in, everyone was wearing the cropped jeans and red T-shirts with some pictures and inscriptions about our football team on Euro. It was like the ninth circle of hell...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
donCarlos said:
And one story for the end: Last Friday I went to the bank (of course in a suit) and I didn´t realized they have the casual fridays. At first I thought it would be ok, but when I came in, everyone was wearing the cropped jeans and red T-shirts with some pictures and inscriptions about our football team on Euro. It was like the ninth circle of hell...

Haahaa.. that's the funniest thing I have heard in a while!! I can just imagine your horror!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by donCarlos:

lol lol :eek: I bet! Like something out of the Twilight Zone...an episode where all the working professionals switch personalities with bums on the street!

PSK123

A-List Customer
All particularly grim examples lol

I hadn't thought of the same colour denim from head to toe look...blurghh. Good call! :eusa_clap

PSK123

A-List Customer
Fake "gold" necklaces the size of toilet chains worn outside of clothing (ala rapper stylee) is another pet hate of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe