Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

BrewCrew

New in Town
There are fashion trends and then there is just stupidity. I'll start out with few of the more recent ones:
1. the upside-down visor. Makes the wearer look like the spout of a pitcher.
2. the stocking cap as fashion statement. Idiots wearing knit caps in ninety degree weather shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.
3. the long-sleeved shirt under the short-sleeved shirt. What's that about?
4. shorts so long that if they were cinched on the bottom they'd be knickers.

These are just a few. Crocs, the goth look, emo, baggy jeans, anything you would consider a fashion crime against humanity, I'd like to hear about it (remember tight-rolled jeans?) Blast away in here, the person you save may be another FL member...

DerMann

Practically Family
-Crocs
-Jeans with a sportcoat
-An incorrectly (either far too loose or tied incorrectly) worn tie
-Soft fronted dress (proper dress, i.e. black and white tie) shirts
-Polyester

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I don't care WHO you are, THIS is ALWAYS wrong....

Baggy1.jpg

unless, of course, you are the incredible shrinking woman.....

but only then!!

dv

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Maybe I'm simply showing my age, but I don't understand wearing a sweater or vest and having the shirt untucked and hanging out...? This really doesn't make any (fashion) sense to me at all, I think it looks ridiculously sloppy. Ok, I'm stepping down off of my soapbox. :confused:

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BrewCrew said:
4. shorts so long that if they were cinched on the bottom they'd be knickers.

I've always supposed these were trousers that were too short! Either way, they make most men look like hobbits and are clearly a sign that the lady of the house does all the clothes shopping...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
kabuto said:
Twenty years ago I would have agreed, but polyester just keeps getting better and better. Cotton and wool are what they are and never change, and the reasons they behave like they do is pretty well understood, by the people developing synthetics. Polyester (and nylon, acrylic, and polypropylene) are engineered products that hundreds of Ph.D.s at Monsanto and such places have been chugging away at improving for a long time.

For suits, no. For shirts in a cotton blend, have you tried them recently? For mountain climbing: well, as the T-shirt says, "Cotton Kills." For truly adverse weather conditions, modern polyester and its cousins rule the roost.

For views opposing and upholding this position, see the thread called "Adventurers - a couple questions" elsewhere on FL. There are those of us (FLers, that is) who say it's unpreparedness that can get people into trouble, rather than specific items of clothing.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Creeping Past said:
I've always supposed these were trousers that were too short! Either way, they make most men look like hobbits and are clearly a sign that the lady of the house does all the clothes shopping...
Really? I always bought my dad, hubby and roommate clothes that fit and look well on them. My hubby, who likes to shop, buys clothes for himself that makes him look like a toddler. Or Eminem.

DerMann

Practically Family
kabuto said:
Twenty years ago I would have agreed, but polyester just keeps getting better and better. Cotton and wool are what they are and never change, and the reasons they behave like they do is pretty well understood, by the people developing synthetics. Polyester (and nylon, acrylic, and polypropylene) are engineered products that hundreds of Ph.D.s at Monsanto and such places have been chugging away at improving for a long time.

For suits, no. For shirts in a cotton blend, have you tried them recently? For mountain climbing: well, as the T-shirt says, "Cotton Kills." For truly adverse weather conditions, modern polyester and its cousins rule the roost.

I bought a 65% Polyester 35% cotton shirt, double cuffs with a spread collar on sale at Christmas. When I wore it with a tie, the fabric chaffed my neck so severely I was forced to loosen my tie and undo the collar - in public!

Cotton shirts just feel and look so much better. Polyester (no matter the percentage) give shirts a shine.

I'm not going to disagree with you on the use of synthetics for more "extreme" applications, but I doubt I'll be climbing a mountain in a cotton poly blend dress shirt.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Really? I always bought my dad, hubby and roommate clothes that fit and look well on them. My hubby, who likes to shop, buys clothes for himself that makes him look like a toddler. Or Eminem.

Maybe it's an English thing. lol Or maybe I've leaped to the wrong conclusion. I'd never considered that men may actually be buying these clothes by choice!:eek:

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Skulls. Let's kill the skulls.
Creeping Past, I've seen some of the chav fads in England. :eek: lol I inherited some nice shirts BtB had bought for her dad after her husband didn't want them. Score!

E.E.W.

New in Town
I am new here but these are mine
1. Flip Flops esp for men. I see them everywhere including restaurants, church, etc. I just really don't want to see a man's feet while I eat.
2. Baseball caps worn wrong and all the time.
3. Adults dressing like kids.
4. Men wearing shorts all the time and everywhere
5. Any garment that shows one underwear no mater who you are it is tacky
6. Burkinstocks for anyone

These are just a few that comes to mind

Caroline

One of the Regulars
In ladies fashion a few years ago, there was a big push for these odd, knee length "shorts" for the office, in tweeds and in suiting fabrics. You were supposed to wear them with tall boots. Yuck! I can't bring myself to find a photo of an example. In my head I called them "the new urban sombrero" ala Seinfeld. Happily, they are in the past for the most part.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
816-2970_13a7fa6_blk.jpg
Now they're in sateen and they wear them with high heels and no hose. Crops. A decidedly unattractive name and fad. Something like this was in a Penney's ad that we're on the mailing list of for some reason.

PSK123

A-List Customer
Ah I do have to say though, that cropped trousers can work, if worn correctly and with a nice pair of shoes etc. Most people can't do that however lol

1.Crocs.
2. Flip flops - for the beach...nowhere else.
3. Skinny jeans.
4. White socks - for the gym yes...nowhere else.
5. Hugeee clumpy trainers which aren't tied properly.
6. White ties.
7. Stupidly baggy clothes.
8. Tops which look like maternity gowns.
9. Wool hats.
10. Polyester.
11. Colours that just don't go together.
12. Bad leather jackets lol
13. Badly cut suits.
14. Suits worn with trainers - ala Dr Who styleee....just no darling...
15. Nasty nasty shirts (this includes Hawaiian shirts...sorry everyone).

I'll add more as I think of them. :D

Phil (winner of his secondary school (2000 people) "best dressed" award hahaha) - A self-confessed male "shopaholic"

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Hm. When we discussed this in class (I studied fashion design & production), people were always more than happy to slam whatever they hated most, with little regard as to what the rest of the class thought (or wore!). I have my own hated trends, but I'm a little leery of compiling 'em all in a list for people to look at and wonder if they're a walking fashion disaster because of one little thing they wear.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Oh, I always hope that if I'm wearing something I think makes me look so fine but that really makes me look like a big fat dork some kind soul will tell me.

PSK123

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
Extra low rise jeans on women (even tough I have been a serious offender, but I promise that is in the past).

I couldn't agree more.

People generally need to know how to dress to suit their body type. I'm all for people dressing how they feel, but sometimes you want to go upto them and say "pleaseeeeee for your own sake, ask someone how you look or simply look in the mirror".

And we've all had a wardrobe disaster at some point in the past. I think mine was a hideous gilet once lol

Darhling, you should be the textbook model for "how to dress" ;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Pip said:
I couldn't agree more.

People generally need to know how to dress to suit their body type. I'm all for people dressing how they feel, but sometimes you want to go upto them and say "pleaseeeeee for your own sake, ask someone how you look or simply look in the mirror".

And we've all had a wardrobe disaster at some point in the past. I think mine was a hideous gilet once lol

Darhling, you should be the textbook model for "how to dress"
;)

i am going to print this out and put on my boudoir mirror!! Thank you very much darrrling!! ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BegintheBeguine said:

Remind him the look just isn't him or looks ridiculous. Something like "You remember when your dad or grandfather used words like 'groovy' when you were 17 and you thought he looked and sounded ridiculous? That outfit on you is the visual equivalent." Or what I use now and then - "1972 called - they want the outfit back."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe