Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fancy Ribbons and Vintage Hats

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There have been quite a few really interesting ribbon treatments posted in the last few months. Some of the hats that Art and Tony have turned out have really mixed up the pleating, stitching, and color combinations. Sure, I've seen the vintage shark's gill ribbons and a back-bow here and there. Those aren't very unusual. Then, there are those vintage bows that are a bit harder to come by, like the double button/safari style ribbon on an Adam (and a recent clone by Art). I think Tom in Perris' Stetson shown below is probably the wildest vintage ribbon I've seen. Still, these vintage examples are subdued next to many of the new customs that have been rolling out.

Here's the question for discussion: Is the wild ribbon treatment, as described above, a modern phenomenon?

Here's the challenge: Post the wildest vintage ribbon treatment you can find.

Keep in mind that I'm not knocking the wildness of any of these hats.

Tom's vintage Stetson
DSCF2873_3.jpg

A couple of Tony's creations
tonyb_bow.jpg

IMGP1199.jpg

A few wild ones from Art
3223443474_829f6746fc_o.jpg

DSCF2931.jpg

bow001ja1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
One I had- I can't remember the maker on it off the top of my head, other than that it was a small one I hadn't heard of before.

IMG_6027.jpg

Full Double bow on a '50s German homburg
IMG_9124.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I guess I can partially respond to my own question by saying that 1 of every 2 Portis hats I see here or on ebay has a wild ribbon.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
cooncatbob said:
Here's my Artlite.
771364855_1a813a2c56.jpg

I like it!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
This type ribbon has always been characteristic of summer straws. I've long wondered, "Why not a multicolored ribbon on a felt hat, or a solid grosgrain on a dress straw hat?"

warbird

One Too Many
My vintage Knox- it looks like 2 shades of hray, but it isn't. The darker color is a medium green with silver accent. It goes well with the silver/gray brim binding.

DSCN1480.jpg

My Keeneland Raceway- this hat has a neat ribbon on it, not sure how to describe it. There 3 pleats for lack of a better word olong the bottom of the ribbon. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics.

DSC00268.jpg

I was drawn to the ribbon on this hat ...

IMGP1157-1.jpg

.. when I first spotted it in the vintage shop. The hat doesn't fit me, but I bought it anyway, seeing how it's a fine lookin' lid in unused condition and its sweatband indicates that it was bought new at a long-defunct hat shop (Scott's, at Second and Seneca in Seattle). And the price was well within reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust