Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Damn, why does Hollywood think these guys were issued one each of just about every flight jacket ever made?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This is why I love it when people comment on reproductions with "X Brand does not fit like the "real" thing." In the military you get what you get.

Yep, and often look great in it. Regardless what the kids think about how things must be worn decades later. When we commodify a look and decide we own it, we're being presumptuous.

Watch it again

I most certainly will not. :D

In interviews for the making of the film, they admit to lowering the bar as it went along and they had later dumbed it down for teenagers, but I think that even that demographic wouldn't be on board and I personally think it's aimed at the "Tween" market. And that's scandalous, considering the human story behind it - the one that is still waiting to be told.

Sadly, everything today is aimed at teenagers, since they're the demographic group that brings most money as they, for the most part, act only on impulse. People who think about what they're spending their money on are of no use to anyone, anymore. It's all horrible, really...

Rocketeer, well to be fair, both THX and especially New Hope are very good movies. Hope is an important film, that's directed very well and while I know Lucas wasn't directing the movie alone, his early works still do testify the man definitely has (had) talent. Where did it go wrong? I think he realized he's happier being a businessman.

Stand By

One Too Many
So where, after American Graffiti, did it all go wrong?

IMHO, I think he just got (very) lucky with Star Wars in 1977 - and the first trilogy (which work brilliantly).
After that, being a one-trick-pony, he just milked it all until he turned it into cheese.

Stand By

One Too Many
In keeping with the Topic of this thread and to comment on "Red Tails," I think that the "Tuskegee Airmen" was a better movie. However, I think that "Red Tails" is similar to the movie "Pearl Harbor" in that they are made for entertainment, not history. It does however spark an interest in the topic and causes people to research and look into the topics of the movies. It sparks an interest in history.

Pics from the film Tuskegee Airmen:

As I said, the film's only worth watching for the gear. And what great gear it is ! They all wear it so well. Great photos !!!

Edward

Bartender
So where, after American Graffiti, did it all go wrong?

American Graffiti? Dreadful film. Truly, truly awful. I remember watching it and being just utterly dumbfounded at its critical reputation.

Sadly, everything today is aimed at teenagers, since they're the demographic group that brings most money as they, for the most part, act only on impulse. People who think about what they're spending their money on are of no use to anyone, anymore. It's all horrible, really...

In the UK, the big ticket for cinema exhibition is a 15 certificate, according to folks in the industry. The big money demographic is 16 and 17 years olds; they can't get into an 18 picture, and they don't want to watch something weak and for babies, so films here will often be cut in exchange for the right certificate. Profit trumps art.

Rocketeer, well to be fair, both THX and especially New Hope are very good movies. Hope is an important film, that's directed very well and while I know Lucas wasn't directing the movie alone, his early works still do testify the man definitely has (had) talent. Where did it go wrong? I think he realized he's happier being a businessman.

I think Lucas is an ideas man but a poor writer and a worse director. I love the legend of a tyoung employee, keen to impress him, who said her favourite film was THX. Lucas, the story goes, turned to her in genuine confusion and said... "But that didn't make any money". He's as much of a stale hack as Spielberg. Both of them have made the odd good film, though more likely by accident than design.

IMHO, I think he just got (very) lucky with Star Wars in 1977 - and the first trilogy (which work brilliantly).
After that, being a one-trick-pony, he just milked it all until he turned it into cheese.

Very true. Though when you have such a huge, reverential fanbase who will turn up to see any old rubbish with your brand on it - Hell's Bells, there are still people who defend Phantom Menace, you can see how easy it is to make the easy money (even if in Lucas' case it's a lack of talent rather than sheer laziness at play). As the man said, "Who is the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" ;)

Stand By

One Too Many
Wise words, Edward. Indeed to all your comments ! (except or Spielberg. I hold him in higher regard)

Looking again at the zips on the B-3s in the photo … they look like post-war era Scovill zippers to me! Hmm. Who made the B-3s for the film? Anyone know?

Edward

Bartender
Wise words, Edward. Indeed to all your comments ! (except or Spielberg. I hold him in higher regard)

Looking again at the zips on the B-3s in the photo … they look like post-war era Scovill zippers to me! Hmm. Who made the B-3s for the film? Anyone know?

I think I'd take a less dim view of Spielberg if he wasn't so addicted to cloying, sacharine sentimentality. He cut that right out for Schindler, and that was an outstanding piece of cinema, I'll give him that.

Red Tails.... the only suppliers I've heard of linked to that were Goodwear and Eastman. Goodwear I believe produced the hero A2s, while Eastman supplied a load of jackets for extras (as ,I believe, they also did for Pearl Harbour). Don't know who did the B3s, though.... tbh, I'd be surprised if it was either of them if there's a detail as glaring as the zips wrong.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

You mean the Tuskegee Airman?

I think I'd take a less dim view of Spielberg if he wasn't so addicted to cloying, sacharine sentimentality. He cut that right out for Schindler, and that was an outstanding piece of cinema, I'll give him that.

Red Tails.... the only suppliers I've heard of linked to that were Goodwear and Eastman. Goodwear I believe produced the hero A2s, while Eastman supplied a load of jackets for extras (as ,I believe, they also did for Pearl Harbour). Don't know who did the B3s, though.... tbh, I'd be surprised if it was either of them if there's a detail as glaring as the zips wrong.
According to the Few (in their 2014 calender/catalogue), they also are supplier of flight jackets for Red Tails, Hart's War and Band of Brothers.

In the UK, the big ticket for cinema exhibition is a 15 certificate, according to folks in the industry. The big money demographic is 16 and 17 years olds; they can't get into an 18 picture, and they don't want to watch something weak and for babies, so films here will often be cut in exchange for the right certificate. Profit trumps art.

Is this still happening in the UK, movies being cut and censored? I remember it was a huge thing it the 70's and 80's. In Australia too.

I think Lucas is an ideas man but a poor writer and a worse director. I love the legend of a tyoung employee, keen to impress him, who said her favourite film was THX. Lucas, the story goes, turned to her in genuine confusion and said... "But that didn't make any money". He's as much of a stale hack as Spielberg. Both of them have made the odd good film, though more likely by accident than design.

Regarding Lucas, I agree.

Spielberg, however, I love. Thing with Spielberg is, aside from being technically undeniably good director, he's sincere. I too would consider cloying sentimentality corny if not downright insulting, if the man didn't feel it himself. He's... Rather, he was making movies the way a kid would, and it is a honesty I can only feel respect for - as I do for any kind of truth. Early Spielberg, for example, is still unrivaled. Duel, Jaws, Indiana Jones trilogy... Coincidentally, while I think Schindler's List is a very important film - I cannot think of any other director that would be able to deal so well with such subject - Empire of the Sun is one of the finest (war) movies I've ever seen, one that I find entirely devoid of Spielberg's trademark cheap emotional manipulation, which he did in fact use in List, dosing it just enough so to have everyones full attention.

Jaws may be something of a joke nowadays but I still get chills running down my spine while listening to Shaw's character Quint monologue about the sinking of the Indianapolis and how they delivered the bomb. Sure, Shaw's a great actor but I believe it takes a really good director to recognize the mans genius and the effect it will produce, to leave him talking for 5 minutes straight. :)

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Brad'sIrvin.jpg

Brad Pitt as he appears in this month's Details magazine. Apparently he likes Irvins!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Odd Pitt fact: he's a major devotee of Charles Rennie Macintosh, and became the trustee of a fund raising effort to restore the architect's original Glasgow School of Art building after it was gutted by fire earlier this year. Okay, back to famous people in flight jackets. I meant to be seeing Fury this weekend, looking forward to seeing if the jackets can hack it.

Odd Pitt fact: he's a major devotee of Charles Rennie Macintosh, and became the trustee of a fund raising effort to restore the architect's original Glasgow School of Art building after it was gutted by fire earlier this year. Okay, back to famous people in flight jackets. I meant to be seeing Fury this weekend, looking forward to seeing if the jackets can hack it.

Also a huge Nick Drake fan from what I understand, although he has yet to make the movie :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
American Graffiti? Dreadful film. Truly, truly awful. I remember watching it and being just utterly dumbfounded at its critical reputation.

I

Being a Rock n Roll and Hot Rod car fan i thought it was quite good. Unfortunately in the UK we had no concept of what was happening in the USA back then, we had Teddy Boys who caught the bus to work and Rockers on their motorbikes. No teenagers with fancy cars, most kids parents did not have their own transport, their just was not the money in the UK at that time.
Most Americans describe the film as fairly accurate to some extent.

I have to say that if the story was that good would you have noticed zipper pulls? is it because of our interest in jackets and flying gear we pick up on things like this?
I do love a good story and I think a good story can carry a film so minor discrepancies do not affect my enjoyment. I have not seen this film but I probably would not have noticed the zippers on the jackets.
When I saw the original King Kong, I thought everything about this film was perfect, a fantastic story, great music and some good actors. The fact that I knew Kong was a model did not detract from the story, and I will watch it again and again :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe