Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My father, about seven, grandmother and my great-grandfather, Michael Rosario. He was Anglo-Indian, his father's family having converted to Catholicism in Goa, India, then a Portuguese colony (and remained so until 1962). He died within a year of this photo, due it was said in part to suffering at the hands of the Ottoman Turks. He'd been detained and sent to a Turkish prison during the Ottoman occupation of Iraq during the First World War.

Taken in Baghdad:

23919301583_45e200acb4_c.jpg

My father, about seven, grandmother and my great-grandfather, Michael Rosario. He was Anglo-Indian, his father's family having converted to Catholicism in Goa, India, then a Portuguese colony (and remained so until 1962). He died within a year of this photo, due it was said in part to suffering at the hands of the Ottoman Turks. He'd been detained and sent to a Turkish prison during the Ottoman occupation of Iraq during the First World War.

Taken in Baghdad:

23919301583_45e200acb4_c.jpg

This and the prior picture you posted are outstanding. Your grandmother looks scripted out of central casting for the era and your great grandfather has and incredible air of integrity. Awesome pictures.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
This and the prior picture you posted are outstanding. Your grandmother looks scripted out of central casting for the era and your great grandfather has and incredible air of integrity. Awesome pictures.

Thanks! My father's family history is unique, certainly for someone of my generation (born in '67). More to follow as time permits!

Sean

Thanks! My father's family history is unique, certainly for someone of my generation (born in '67). More to follow as time permits!

Sean

The last picture you posted of your grandmother confirmed - especially since it is many years later - my first impression, your grandmother is one of those rare people who has an innate sense of style meaning they know how to take what is in vogue and make it personalized to them - not easy to do.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The last picture you posted of your grandmother confirmed - especially since it is many years later - my first impression, your grandmother is one of those rare people who has an innate sense of style meaning they know how to take what is in vogue and make it personalized to them - not easy to do.

She was by all accounts an elegant "character" throughout her life! She could and did meet and mingle with everyone from the taxi driver to royalty, keeping her own personality and interacting with all in the same way.

This one is inscribed "With love, from Harriet" but is undated. What do you folks think, 1930s? By her facial appearance I'd say no later than 1940. But her hair style, gosh, that could be anytime. The dress?

24437755982_6111e480fb_c.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Early 1940s, New York City. My grandmother with my uncle George, my dad's half brother.

My step grandfather was then a Squadron Leader, later Wing Commander, in the RAF, an engineer. He was posted to the US for several years during the war, working with, I believe, American producers of the Merlin engine and other bits of kit. My uncle George is 80 now, and returned to New York in 2011 to visit his school and take in a Yankees game! He is 8 or 9 in this photo:

23919183283_71237d2292_c.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Family shot, London, 1940. My step grandfather far right, if I am seeing correctly he's a Sqn Ldr at this time. My dad, Lance Corporal, far left, unsure of the woman to his left, I think it's a cousin of sorts, Grandma Harriet, and my uncle George is perhaps 5 if not turned 6. My dad left for the middle east not long after this photo.

Is that a gas mask carrier with Step Grandad, or just a satchel? My uncle George is carrying something too, the strap and something just visible by his right hand in pocket.

24250582900_190795eacf_b.jpg

This one is inscribed "With love, from Harriet" but is undated. What do you folks think, 1930s? By her facial appearance I'd say no later than 1940. But her hair style, gosh, that could be anytime. The dress?

I would say, she was in her early 20's?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He's a lucky little fella then.
I've already been able to mould my granddaughter after me, sometimes to the horror of her mother. :)

I wish I'd been able to spend the kind of time I've been able to spend with my two older grandchildren that I have with the two younger ones. We're all close, but due to having kept the two younger ones since birth, there's a special bond with them. Too bad I couldn't have retired about 10 years earlier.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
From the left, my dad's cousin Irene (I called her Auntie Irene - here she looks like she stepped off the set of Jeeves and Wooster!), her mother, my great Aunt Ruth, my uncle George and Grandma. Given the age of my uncle, I'd say this is about 1940 or so, probably in London.

My grandmother's heritage was Indian (as in India), Armenian, and Irish.

23919229673_5ba771c621_b.jpg

^^^ (go up two) Another home run picture MC - love your uncle holding the British flag.

^^^ (one immediately above) - she looks great, beautiful smile. My money says Lizzie will get the advertisement.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We've seen several images of a George Hearnden, my uncle, as a child. Here is the young Corporal Hearnden, Royal Air Force, in the late 1950s. He is 23 or so here, and would go on to serve 38 years:

24546019125_a9c10259ee_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken