Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

hatguy1

One Too Many
Yeah but when they get the point where they don't want to be like Daddy---that is where the problems begin. That rebellious stage sucks. :p

Yep. Then about in their 30s (& often with kids of their own) then the light bulb comes back on about their parents' and their wisdom.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My little granddaughter with her new hat. She wanted a hat of her own to wear to church so she "could be like Granddaddy." Naturally, what ever she wants, she gets. :)

Big Man

My grandmother, Nora Jimerson Brown, was born on this day in 1882. This clipping from the Morganton News Herald was about her 100th Birthday in 1982. That’s my son, Will Brown, IV, giving her a “Birthday kiss”. He was three years old at the time. My Dad had retired the year my son was born, and he kept him much the same way I am now keeping my granddaughter. Every Wednesday, my Dad and son would go to “Maw’s house” (the same house where I now live) where she would fix them dinner. She did this till she was suddenly taken with pneumonia at the age of 99. She recovered, but never fully regained her strength back. She spent her last two years at my Dad’s house, where he took care of her.

"Maw" was a tremendous influence on my life. From her I learned honesty, decency, compassion, self-sacrifice, resilience, duty to others, and most of all, love of family. She touched the lives of many people, both directly and indirectly. To this day, even 32 years after her death in 1983, I still run into people, mostly in their 80s and 90s, who tell me, "your grandmother was so kind to me when I was little."

Maw never had much of anything in the way of material possessions, but she was rich beyond measure with the spirit of love and compassion. I don't believe I ever heard her talk about "religion" - she didn't have to "talk" about it - she lived it every day. I could see the love and compassion of Christ in the way she lived. It wasn't something she had to work at, it came natural. That's just the way she was.

[FONT=&quot]On her death-bed, at the age of 101, she called me to her side and told me: "I want you to know I've loved you more than my own children." That was my inheritance from Maw. To me, that was more valuable than all the money in the world.[/FONT]

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Big Man, you brought tears to my eyes. Grandmothers are a wonderful treasure. I'm glad that you had such a special one, and that she knew the treasure she had in you.

Big Man

I have been truly blessed with a good family. Not a day goes by that I don't give thanks for such a blessing. I've always tried hard to live up to the high standards those who have gone on before me set, and to be a good steward of the legacy entrusted to me. I say "tried", because I certainly have fallen short on way too many occasions.

Even though I wear a size 14 EEE, the "shoes I have to fill" are way too big for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82