Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evil wears the hat

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Ordinary Guy said:
I'm sorry guys, I didn't want to rob those banks...:(

But at my age and all, so little time left, so little money, so many hats I want and need desperately...

What"s a fedora lover to do but rob a bank for the money ?????

:D

Mum's da' woid, mugsy. ;)

4and1

One of the Regulars
R.A. Stewart said:
I've got to wonder, though, what's driving a man in his seventies, with enough health problems to sometimes need oxygen, to rob banks.~Rich

Adrenaline junkie! Besides, what's he got to lose? If caught, his sentence would be a short one. On the other hand, a misdemeanor conviction would carry a life sentence for him.

Story

I'll Lock Up
R.A. Stewart said:
I've got to wonder, though, what's driving a man in his seventies, with enough health problems to sometimes need oxygen, to rob banks.

Art imitates life. Life imitates art.
5198225JYRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? - Matthew 7:16

Chicago professor and mob researcher John Binder is convinced infamous gangster Al Capone is present in this photograph of Chicago Mayor William "Big Bill" Thompson and others, which was snapped Dec. 9, 1930, at St. Joseph's Health Resort in Wedron. The man Binder believes is Capone, is standing on the roof, marked No. 2. The man third from Capone's left, marked No. 3, Binder identifies as Mike Spranze, a Capone henchman. This is a cropped version of the original photo, which shows more people. No. 1 in the larger photo is Thompson.
caponewedroncloseup.jpg

A photograph taken long ago in La Salle County that purportedly shows Al Capone and Chicago's then mayor William "Big Bill" Thompson prompted one of the mob boss' relatives to step forward — with anger.

The photograph in question was snapped in December 1930, at St. Joseph's Health Resort in Wedron. The four-foot long, 15-inch wide panoramic shot shows several hundred people standing in front of and on top the resort, including Thompson. The occasion was Thompson's stay at the resort recovering from appendix surgery. It was the presence of another man among the other faces that caught the eye of Chicago mob researcher, author and University of Illinois at Chicago professor John Binder.

Binder said he was "99 percent plus positive" the man is Capone. Besides matching the general physical characteristics of the mob legend, the man also sported the well-known accoutrements: vest, overcoat and pearl gray fedora. One of the things that might have made it 100 percent, however, was missing: a Thompson submachine gun. Several of the men near this figure also wore similar clothes, the informal uniform of the mob under Capone.
http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=394843

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mossyrock said:
You know, I spent almost two years of my life looking for that ba***rd. :rage: I used to dream about him. Based on THAT picture and the way he looks today, I wouldn't have know him had I tripped over him.:eusa_doh: :eek:

??? Seriously - you were looking for this guy...in the Pacific Northwest?

I agree - I would never have recognized him either. Even when the news story originally broke, I had trouble making the visual connection.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
I think Mossy was in the Balkans at the time. :eusa_doh:

Hey, I was just trying to pry some details out of him.

But I know there are people convinced that Bin Laden's driving a cab in NYC.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
hitler hat

I remember how disturbing it was the first time I saw a color photo of Hitler wearing a fedora.

It was, if I remember right, tan with a brown ribbon.

A nice looking hat for such a crumb to own!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Sam Craig said:
I remember how disturbing it was the first time I saw a color photo of Hitler wearing a fedora.

It was, if I remember right, tan with a brown ribbon.

A nice looking hat for such a crumb to own!

When I saw such pics, I just saw an evil man who wanted to keep his head warm. If I were a shoe collector, I'd probably just see a man who didn't want to get frostbite on his toes.

The only hat-wearer situation that I find irritating is Indiana Jones - I really love the movie series, but I also really love the hats he wore. But I wish it were a stingy or a porkpie that he was famous for, so that I could wear an Indy hat in public and not feel self-conscious.

Scott <=== doesn't want to grow a 'Toothbrush' moustache

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fashion crimes aside, these lids have been involved in a string of larcenies in Metro Detroit for the past year. A group of older women, wearing hats of various colors and shapes, have stolen money and credit cards from distracted shoppers in four counties, police said Thursday. Dubbed the Mad Hatters by police, the women then use the stolen checks and credit cards to receive money from banks and merchandise from retailers, said the Sterling Heights Police Department.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110506/METRO03/105060381/Cops-on-trail-of-‘Mad-Hatters’#ixzz1LlMPWXTh

bilde

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust