Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever yearn for a vintage name?

Edward

Bartender
Naama said:
I'm so envious of my friends name who is called Marlene

I named one of my babies Marlene - the little black, long-haired minx. The tabby is caled Greta. :)

Uploaded18August2008011.jpg

Caity Lynn said:
My name, well, I don't know if it's vintage, but my name is Caitlyn (which I'd only met 2 others with the same name, and only one with the same spelling, until I moved to where i live now, I registered in the school and told someone my name and they said "oh, not ANOTHER one" threw me through a loop I can tell you!)

I'd say that's pretty vacant. Some believe it derives, ultimately, from the Greek goddess Hecate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caitlyn

and my middle name is Susannah (named after Susannah Westley, mother of modern methodism) which I'm definitely thinking is vintage enough. lol

Wesley, dear lady. No 't.' ;) Sure is vintage.... She's long, long been a permanent resident of Bunhill Row cemetary here in London.

Tallulah

New in Town
This is where I got very lucky! I am named after Deanna Durbin, the actress. And my middle name (Tallulah) comes from my great-grandmother.

$ally

One Too Many
I was given the name "Sally" which was more popular in the 1940s than now. I've always liked it. It suits me, so I've never bothered with a stage or screen name.

P.S. I like "Knuckles" lol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes.

As a matter of fact, I always yearned for the name Japheth but I thought that might be a bit too vintage. So I reconsidered and thought of Beringar,Heribert or Radulfus, but again just a little too vintage. So, at long last I settled for Joe- as in a guy named Joe! If I had it to do over again and was picking a more modern name, I'd settle for something like, "Yo! D.J. Jammin Joe", but I'll wait for that thread.

-dixon cannon

Brooksie

One Too Many
My first name is Lisa however my parents almost named me Ruth which when I was younger I thought was cool because it seemed not quite as ordinary as Lisa and when I was growing up there were no Ruth's at any of the schools I had attended, unlike like Lisa of which there were several.

The name I really like is my grandma's name and that was Ruby, to me it sounds beautiful, red it my favorite color and I also like the gem.

Brooksie

carter

I'll Lock Up
Carter is my surname which I prefer since my birth name ends in an irritating long e sound.

Had my parents asked, I'd have opted for Micah.

Two fine names from the old country run in our family, Connell and Burgess.

Dr Doran

I have a friend named Gaius. Very vintage, very Roman.

The weird thing is, he has a PhD in Roman history which he received at Berkeley under the formidable Erich Gruen.

Did Gaius live up to a name his parents gave him?

Or is his real name -- gasp -- something like Gerald?

I am afraid to ask, and I don't make a practice of asking point-blank questions that are none of my business, even to my friends.

It's just a bit too much of a coincidence that he would be named Gaius and have a PhD in Roman History.

Pretty darn vintage -- not so vintage as Iason, but pretty vintage.

Dixon Cannon

Brooksie said:
My first name is Lisa however my parents almost named me Ruth which when I was younger I thought was cool because it seemed not quite as ordinary as Lisa and when I was growing up there were no Ruth's at any of the schools I had attended, unlike like Lisa of which there were several.

The name I really like is my grandma's name and that was Ruby, to me it sounds beautiful, red it my favorite color and I also like the gem.

Brooksie

Reminds of the line, "Her name was McGill, and she called herself Lil but everyone knew her as Nancy..." lol

-dixon cannon

Dr Doran

Brooksie said:

Brooksie

I was going to be Claire if I had been born a girl.

My parents hideously gave me the middle name Donald after my father's sister's husband. Alas, my father's sister committed suicide shortly before my birth (his only sibling!) and then shortly thereafter, her husband stopped having anything to do with the Doran family.

MY grandmother is a Juliette, and she had a brother named Romeo. They were born in the 1890s.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
I've been renamed...

Well, though I fancied myself a Hazel some friends and customers have given me a new handle: Mabel, as in Able Mabel. Hmmm, I like it...it reminds me of Mae West. I'm not sure what I did to earn it though [huh]

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I'm called Mercedes... I guess it sounds pretty vintage if you think about it.

But outside of Spain, it is surprising how many people think the name comes after the car and not the other way around! :mad: I am quite tired of the car references and "jokes", but it is sometimes the only way to get my name accross since I am incapable (or unwilling ;) ) to pronounce my name as an English person would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe