Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELC RW B-3[ well used ]

John Lever

One Too Many
This is the one I won by default for £300. Obviously this had been well well worn by the previous owner. It was pretty grubby around the collar so I had to wash it with glycerine soap at 40 deg. C. When the cycle finished and I removed it from the machine, my heart went through the floor. It had gone grey all over except for the horse hide. I thought, ' OK this time you have risked washing a jacket than has been hand coated and it has all washed off !!'
Four days later it had dried naturally to the original colour.
This certainly is the way to buy shearlings as they take so long to lose that shiny out of the box look otherwise. The outer coating is nicely worn on the cuffs but with no wool loss and the arm facings have been scuffed all over, so I assume this has not been worn on a motorbike. The dirty collar makes me wonder if this has been worn regularly perhaps by a market stall holder or similar.
Eastman seem to have perfectly captured the shape of the B-3. Loose baggy upper arms, tight cuffs with a good boxy body, make this a superb repro. On par with my RMNZ monotone.
This could well be one of the very early RW's, later ones are more red and more shiny. I prefer the muted brown only slightly mottled colour variation of this one, complimented by the warm beige dark honey fleece.
I have waited for over ten years for a size 44 to come up that I could afford so I am well pleased.

IMGP1941.jpg

IMGP1940.jpg

IMGP1932.jpg

IMGP1933.jpg

IMGP1934.jpg

IMGP1935.jpg

IMGP1953.jpg

IMGP1961.jpg

IMGP1962.jpg

IMGP1963.jpg

Hi John,

The images aren't working, as i'm sure you know.

I'd love to have a look at this one. I just picked up an apparently (so the seller claims) WWII B-3, pretty beat around, for 99p. I'm on tenterhooks waiting for it to arrive as it's way too big for me (a 44 no less) and i want to sell it!

bk

krasno35

Familiar Face
Nice to hear that john.

I've just received the Redskin eLC B3 and it's a wonderful jacket. Worth every pennies!

Cheers
Jerome

krasno35

Familiar Face
John, sorry to ask it (think I have not understood weel:) ) : have you put the jacket in the washing machine ? Is the leather not hardened after?

Thanks

On the one Ihave received, the fur is more "honey" color.

Jerome

John Lever

One Too Many
Yes. I always wash second hand jackets that have been worn [ not yours as it was clean] including horse hide and sheepskin. Use Pears soap dissolved in hot water and wash on a 30 or 40 cycle. The glycerine soap is the main ingredient of saddle soap so it cleans and softens the leather. Allow to dry for a few days then tumble to finish off.
I have never had any problems using this method.
I would not try this on an original jacket however as it could disintegrate.

riskyB

New in Town
Do you still use this method for cleaning your sheepskin jackets? How much Pears soap do you use when dissolving it in hot water? I have a recently acquired used ELC B6 I would like to clean and was wondering if you still recommend this method. Thanks.

John Lever

One Too Many
riskyBastard said:
Do you still use this method for cleaning your sheepskin jackets? How much Pears soap do you use when dissolving it in hot water? I have a recently acquired used ELC B6 I would like to clean and was wondering if you still recommend this method. Thanks.

Yes,
It's a great method. Others have also tried it with success.
Dissolve 1/4 a bar in very hot water to create a liquid detergent. Wash on a warm cycle with the jacket unzipped. Use a very fast spin. Remove the jacket very carefully as wet sheepskin can tear. Hang to dry for 48 hours with a broom handle though the arms, tumble dry on warm/hot for extra wrinkles.
Any white marks are soap and can be removed with a moist cloth.

riskyB

New in Town
Does this method work with FQHH jackets? I have wondered what the best method for cleaning these types of jackets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe