Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
This one?
!Bm05yGgBGk~$(KGrHqQH-CIEtpvKevb0BLhDnJlyhw~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...88671&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1499wt_1167

Yep. Should have known that would be you! I have 6 straw hats now, and 3 months a year when I can wear them...so having to pass on some real beauties.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A good friend of mine here went and bought a fedora at a local hat shop about a month ago.

He ended up buying a wool Jaxon with a cloth sweatband.
Unfortunately the store didn't have any in his size, so they stretched one up for him that was a size too small. The stretch didn't hold, so now it doesn't really fit him. The stitching holding on the ribbon has let go, so the ribbon needs to be reattached. After wearing it in light rain once, it's tapered up a bit as well. He likes the style but it just isn't working out for him, so he asked me to keep an eye out for something nicer in the same price range.

I managed to find him a Worth & Worth Fellini in a 7-5/8, his size, for a little less than he paid for his Jaxon.

WORTHWORTHNavyFeltFELLINIPinchFront.jpg

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Disney Arrived!

jdbenson said:
I just won this on ebay. From the looks of it, it may have a cav edge, and will probably need to be sent to Art or Optimo for a cleaning/recondition, but I finally won a Disney!

Ebay item #350320426449

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350320426449

So my Disney arrived today! Let me just say, there is good news, OK news, and bad news. Thankfully, the good outweighs the bad, at least it does for me.

Good: The hat was probably never worn; was probably stored in the box for years. The 5 1/2 inch high crown has NEVER been bashed: it is still stiff and it shows zero crease marks. The 2 3/4 inch brim has a true Cav edge. It is a size 7 5/8, but the previous owner was probably closer to a 7 1/2, because there is a great deal of white felt strips behind the sweat band. The sweat band is undamaged, but feels a bit stiff, I'll hit it with some mink oil.

OK: The brim is a bit wonky. It was obviously stored with the brim snapped DOWN. A bit of steam and some time should fix this. It was REALLY dusty, but a good brushing fixed that.

Bad: The moths got to this hat. Thankfully, there are no holes in the hat, just a few trails in the brim near the hatband, a couple of nibbles on the underside of the brim, and one on the upperside. None are noticeable to the casual observer.

hatted

One of the Regulars

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jdbenson said:
Bad: The moths got to this hat. Thankfully, there are no holes in the hat, just a few trails in the brim near the hatband, a couple of nibbles on the underside of the brim, and one on the upperside. None are noticeable to the casual observer.

Looking at the questions on the auction, I'm very surprised that no one asked about moth bites.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
@#%$ Moths!!

ScottF said:
Looking at the questions on the auction, I'm very surprised that no one asked about moth bites.

Looking at the photos, I thought they might be moth trails, but was hopin' for the best. Indeed, the damage is minimal so it doesn't really bug me. I gave the whole hat a good brushing and it looks 100% better. I'll post pics soon. I've bashed it w/a center dent for now, and it looks fan-tab-u-lous!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
So you're the one that outbid me! I should have guessed.lol

I was hoping that it's just the sweat folded over, and not cut off for some bizarre reason. Can't wait to see more when you get it, specifically the Cavanagh Edge medallion stamp.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:

I was hoping that it's just the sweat folded over, and not cut off for some bizarre reason. Can't wait to see more when you get it, specifically the Cavanagh Edge medallion stamp.

Brad
Sorry Brad. Don't know what the size will be and I sure hope they haven't cut the sweatband:rage: If so they should be placed in the circle of hell with the owner of the Knox with the severed edge and shellac overwelt. If its truly munchkin sized I'll send it your way for research and collection.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

Very interesting hat - hope it's bigger than advertised, but the seller had sizes on his others, so I figured the 21" estimate was probably close to accurate. Good luck.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I'd be glad to buy it off of you if it doesn't fit.

It looks like the sweat is just folded over in one photo, and if so, you should be able to coax it back to life. Looks to be mid- to -late-'30s, but we'll know for sure if the stamped says "Improved Cavanagh Edge." The sweatband seam supports that, as well. I find it unusual that it seems to have two model names, both Leisure Light and Park Avenue. Don't normally see one stamped like that.

Brad

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Very interesting hat - hope it's bigger than advertised, but the seller had sizes on his others, so I figured the 21" estimate was probably close to accurate. Good luck.
While it may actually be tiny, the seller listed internal dimensions that would indicate 21-3/4"(with all the stuffing and foldover) and used the same internal dimensions for other hats where the size was listed but differed[huh] So as usual a crap shoot. Was cheap enough since I wanted to see the hat in any case.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
While it may actually be tiny, the seller listed internal dimensions that would indicate 21-3/4"(with all the stuffing and foldover) and used the same internal dimensions for other hats where the size was listed but differed[huh] So as usual a crap shoot. Was cheap enough since I wanted to see the hat in any case.

The crap shoots are where the best deals are found - look forward to finding out it's a 7 1/4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe