Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Hawkhat, that is one nice hat. I love those bound brims.

Long time ago, when I was between conducting symphony orchestra jobs, I was the manager of a piano store. I bought and sold lots of "vintage" pianos. There were many piano companies at the begining of the last century. The depression and course of music in general put many great names out of business. Those brands traded hands many times and it was a challenge to know who made what when. Often, it was just the same instrument with a different name. It is the same today.

It seems, though I am not an expert on hat history, that similar issues are involved here, too. I have seen many hats that look like whippets made by an assortment of companies. One wonders if stock was traded between companies, styles and designs, too, and re-labeled. This should really be another thread.

Anyway, Nice lids, Guys and Gals! Let's keep saving history, having fun and lookin' stylish doing it.

babs

A-List Customer
Well.. Hopefully a blessing in disguise

Being a 7 3/8 solid on the money.. I figured it'd be a reach to try to wear a 60 Fed IV.. So I bid conservatively, and got sniped like a prairie dog with an AR-15 in the hands of a crack-shot rancher.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330373803713&autorefresh=true

Woe is me.. No Akubra for Scott today. But I ain't givin' up by a long stretch. :)

billysmom

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Ah, yes. I was wondering if that's what it was. A really nice hat, I'm kicking myself. Oh, well. $25 saved.

I asked the seller about the interior circumference of that hat and she answered 22 3/4". So either she measured incorrectly or it's the biggest size 7 ever.

Sue

babs

A-List Customer
Agreed!

That's a slick bowler! You guys with them sub-7-size noggins! You got it made! You're probably the same guys that can buy up the cool vintage suits while I comb the racks for 48's. hehehehe :) Sucks being a Hoss! Ah Gee Paw!!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
That's a gorgeous Jimmy...I mean lid. :p

(just guessing)

Wish I'd seen it! ;) Good guess, but I was casting in the 'bay for this Borso...

ChocolateBorso.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
XPLSV said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130343181571

Anyone involved in the $300 bidding war on this one? I'd been watching it all week but tempered my bid a bit due to the Knox I won earlier in the week...but even if I hadn't downed my top bid amount, I still wouldn't have been close!

Bernie

That's really strange - I was watching it all week as well, but then at some point it was no longer on my watch list, and I didn't spot it this evening.

No matter - that's SERIOUS dough for a branded straw fedora - not that it's not worth it.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
That's really strange - I was watching it all week as well, but then at some point it was no longer on my watch list, and I didn't spot it this evening.

No matter - that's SERIOUS dough for a branded straw fedora - not that it's not worth it.

From what I can tell from the pics, it looks to be in great condition. I'm not a fan of the Optimo crease down the middle...but Graham reblocked an old Cavanagh Montecristi for me this summer and pretty much removed the crease entirely and put in a nice teardrop bash. That's what I was thinking when viewing that hat...

Bernie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld