Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I really want one of these old panamas with such great patina. Unfortunately for me, this balibuntal is only a 7 1/8.
69d3_1.JPG
7284_1.JPG

6fd7_1.JPG
712d_1.JPG

elvisroe

A-List Customer
ebay ouch!

There's a Federation iv on ebay at the moment for $166US buy it now price...
(better not link it coz it's still active)

Considering "The Hattery" where they come from here in Oz sells them for about $80US, that's a pretty steep mark up!

On a brighter note, a mate just picked up an Akubra Hampton this week for $5 AUS + $10 postage.

Sorry to have missed that one since I just spent $160 on the same hat!

Boodles

A-List Customer
Thanks ScottF. I've got a reproduction of that book.

I need to follow your lead and read the thing!

ScottF said:
Thanks, Boodles. I read in "Scientific Hat Refinishing..." about using the back of a knife (I think) to rub out dried stain material. I did a couple of passes with the back of a butterknife because it was dull, and I didn't want to dig out felt. Then I used the back of a pair of scissors (sharper) to get more of it, then finished with my fingernail and a lot of brushing. There are still a few spots, but it it now presentable.

For ribbons, I have been rubbing a very small amount of water, with the grain, with a cloth, then rubbing it lightly with a dry cloth to dry and blend any possible stain. It's worked well so far.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mayser Parabuntal

Yes! A few minutes ago, I scored a nice Mayser parabuntal on ebay Germany for 4,25 €. Nice shot.

On the ebay images, the hat looks too white, it's in fact more of a beige color. I'll post some of my own pictures as soon as it has arrived here.

Here are the images from ebay:

hellerhut.jpg

hellerhutinnenr.jpg

carlsick.jpg

hellerhutschleife.jpg

hellerhutemb.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
There is a straw hat listed on eBay right now as being made of "leather" because that's what it says inside the hat. On the sweatband. The seller continues in the description talking about how strange the leather feels.

YOU KNOW, BECAUSE IT'S A STRAW HAT.

UnbeLIEVable!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Razzman said:
Nice looking Montecrist Optimo, Carter! I saw it a couple of days ago, too big for me.
This one ended with no bids and was relisted. It has a brim under 3" so I was definitely interested. I made the seller an offer below their BIN and they accepted. I must have enough straws by now. ;) :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
MattJH said:
There is a straw hat listed on eBay right now as being made of "leather" because that's what it says inside the hat. On the sweatband. The seller continues in the description talking about how strange the leather feels.

YOU KNOW, BECAUSE IT'S A STRAW HAT.

UnbeLIEVable!
All I can add is "Bah, Homburg". :cheers1:

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Interesting...

carter said:
Who is Rosie Boylan & when can we see the "after" pictures?

I bought a straw hat with the same Tesori stamp here a few weeks ago and sent it to Mssr. Fawcett for blocking and finishing. He's going to to make me an optimo. Does anyone have any information about this brand? My hat is very finely woven and seems to have come rolled inside a piece of bamboo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld